Pushed it to its limits or a defective part?

Reaction score
I think it was a combination of me nailing this turn better than I ever had with a suspension setup not up to it. It's an Eibach Pro system plus. (shocks, springs, bars) Max motorsports CC plates with stock alignment specs running on Kumho Ecsta XS.

The Story: High Speed Autocross. (Timed standing start laps on a race track)

I absolutely nailed turn 4 at Blackhawk recently at a timed event and then my rear end just flung just after the apex and pointed me towards a tire barrier. I was able to just roll it back onto the course and finish the lap at 3/4 pace. Pulled it into the pits, looked under the car and I didn't see anything hanging or damaged, so I just called it driver error.

On my next standing start, going through turn 1, my car handled like a dirt track oval racer drifting through the turn. "Where the fuck is my sway bar?" I thought..then BOOM!!

Black smoke, pieces of "things" everywhere. "oh my god, wtf! Is the engine OK?!?" Gauges look ok..finished the lap as a rolling smoke machine..

Pulled into pits..flat right front.
Removed the wheel and found this.

1zptv00.jpg

I dunno about your suspension setup, but mine is supposed to keep the swaybar link attached to the strut.

s2d5qc.jpg

Not sure if it was a combination of me nailing this turn better than I ever had with a suspension setup not up to it. OR a bad weld or way too soft metal for tracking purposes.

o7qfe9.jpg

Even though my car broke on my third run (out of a usual 6 chances), my first run was quick enough to get me one of these...

2n6dzeg.jpg

And the STI and EVO didn't...
Take that you self-righteous turbocharged Chinese take out boxes!

Last edited:

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
Can't see the pics at work but I've heard of that happening to someone just street driving at another site, strut link to sway bar snapped off. What brand of strut? Attempt a warranty claim.

And yes, beating the imports is fun! Make sure to mention you did it with a "truck" axle.

Reaction score
It's an eibach kit. I'm working on a warranty claim with Tire Rack (Purchased through them) The way it works is I have to buy a replacement, send the bad one back, and then I get credited for the replacement part. I'm trying to get some money for a new tire as well.

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
And the STI and EVO didn't...
Take that you self-righteous turbocharged Chinese take out boxes!

Right On! They all love to talk smack when they see a Mustang show up to the coarse, its great when you beat em at ther own game.

Blair

forum member
Reaction score
http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/...&style=GT+Deluxe+2dr+Coupe+(4.6L+8cyl+5M)&zip=

Its a manufacturing defect, see link above. I have Roush struts that were recalled and replaced for doing the same thing. Roush replaced mine under warranty and Eibach should replace yours too. The Eibach and Roush struts were sourced from the same manufacturer that is why thay both had this problem. I'd contact Eibach about replacements and if they don't help you call the NTSB.

Blair

Kaldar142

Reaction score
Can't see the pics at work but I've heard of that happening to someone just street driving at another site, strut link to sway bar snapped off. What brand of strut? Attempt a warranty claim.

And yes, beating the imports is fun! Make sure to mention you did it with a "truck" axle.

thats my favourite part...

"Not bad for a solid rear huh?"

marksti

forum member
Reaction score
Bummer.

Could of been alot worse i guess...Atleast the sway bar link didn't jam up your tire and put you into the wall :(

A few months back I saw a rotor brake on Mustang equipped with a single piece rotor Brembo kit..that rotor coming apart cost 10-12k since it put him into the tires at a good clip.

Maybe you can make lemonade out of a lemon and upgrade to coilovers?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well it sounds like Tire rack is doing what they can, but the replacement is on backorder for two weeks. Unfortunately, I need a working race car by labor day. So I'm thinking about swapping out for a completely new set of shocks and sell my eibachs when the replacement comes in.

Coilovers would be cool, but I'm not ready for that financially. Everything is adding up so damn fast. Especially the brakes and tires.
I'm happy with my setup thus far, but I'm sure as hell not ready to go tracking again with these shocks. I just wanna get something comparable, but a little more durable..AND IT'S GOTTA BE SOON IF I'M GOING TO DO THE WRENCHING.

Tokico D-specs are on sale from American Muscle for 524.00 shipped in stock.
Yay or Nay?

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Oh, ouch!! Turn 4 at Blackhawk is a rough one to lose it in... When the rear end came around on you, did you clip the berm on the inside at apex by chance, or drop a wheel at track-out? More to the point, did you catch it, or back it into the tire wall?

The pix are ugly, but the carnage could have been MUCH worse. Glad you made it through okay, and good luck in getting your kit replaced. Tire Rack is a pretty good vendor, so I would think they would go to bat for you, particularly given the recall. I would push for a steep discount (at a minimum) on a new tire, as well.

'Grats on the win, too, by the way!

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Well it sounds like Tire rack is doing what they can, but the replacement is on backorder for two weeks. Unfortunately, I need a working race car by labor day. So I'm thinking about swapping out for a completely new set of shocks and sell my eibachs when the replacement comes in.

Coilovers would be cool, but I'm not ready for that financially. Everything is adding up so damn fast. Especially the brakes and tires.
I'm happy with my setup thus far, but I'm sure as hell not ready to go tracking again with these shocks. I just wanna get something comparable, but a little more durable..AND IT'S GOTTA BE SOON IF I'M GOING TO DO THE WRENCHING.

Tokico D-specs are on sale from American Muscle for 524.00 shipped in stock.
Yay or Nay?

I would say nay. I BROKE one at Autobahn last month (blew the guts apart), and wound up swapping back into my stock struts to make the Blackhawk event with NASA. Just to get you through, I can loan you my other D-Spec strut. PM me or give me a call if you want it.

Personally, I would hold off on buying anything "temporary" since that is money that could be spent on the coilovers you really want... Do what you need to to get through until the replacement kit comes, then sell it, and use the money towards the coilovers. The season only has another couple of months left to run, so save your pennies for the over-the-winter projects.

Reaction score
Oh, ouch!! Turn 4 at Blackhawk is a rough one to lose it in... When the rear end came around on you, did you clip the berm on the inside at apex by chance, or drop a wheel at track-out? More to the point, did you catch it, or back it into the tire wall?

The pix are ugly, but the carnage could have been MUCH worse. Glad you made it through okay, and good luck in getting your kit replaced. Tire Rack is a pretty good vendor, so I would think they would go to bat for you, particularly given the recall. I would push for a steep discount (at a minimum) on a new tire, as well.

'Grats on the win, too, by the way!

It's funny because I was filming that day with my go pro, but not that run. The back end flung out just when I was going to use that little lip on the right side just before the back gate, but ended up pointed in-field towards the tire barriers. Luckily, I caught it in time and just coasted it accross the grass and back onto the track in the middle end of turn 5. Reflexes like a cat baby, that why my friends call me whiskers..

It's a love/hate relationship between turn 4 and I. I like it because it's such a bitch, but I usually get alot of ground on people going through there. Maybe because I haven't had any close calls like that one keeping me from slowing down...

Damn, I was REALLY was happy with my setup. Now I'm going to start fresh mid season and have to re-learn everything. Oh, and this next race is at the Milwaukee mile. I will be using a bank or two and maybe a straightaway.

SGDave (or anyone else chime in), you think I should just suck it up and get coilovers rather than any conventionals? I could use some good advice today so as to get things shipped. Time is of the essence.
What about regular Koni Yellows?

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
I would head for the coilovers if you can. The Ground Control (aka Griggs) setup is based on shortened Koni yellows, so you're heading in the right direction. The beauty of the coilovers is the infinite adjustability in ride height, which really allows you to dial in your cross-weights. Until you've driven a corner-weighted car, you don't know what you're missing. Conventional struts, like the Koni yellows are fine, but why spend the money to get 50% of the way there, and then spend it again to get to where you really want to wind up? If you can't pony all the way up for the coilovers, then I would either throw the stock struts back in to finish the season, or borrow my "spare" D-Spec until you can get the coilovers. It's pretty obvious that the corner carving bug has bit you, so...

When is the Milwaukee Mile race?

Reaction score
I would head for the coilovers if you can. The Ground Control (aka Griggs) setup is based on shortened Koni yellows, so you're heading in the right direction. The beauty of the coilovers is the infinite adjustability in ride height, which really allows you to dial in your cross-weights. Until you've driven a corner-weighted car, you don't know what you're missing. Conventional struts, like the Koni yellows are fine, but why spend the money to get 50% of the way there, and then spend it again to get to where you really want to wind up? If you can't pony all the way up for the coilovers, then I would either throw the stock struts back in to finish the season, or borrow my "spare" D-Spec until you can get the coilovers. It's pretty obvious that the corner carving bug has bit you, so...

When is the Milwaukee Mile race?

I knew coilovers were in my future, but my philosophy for my rookie season was to just get something that gives me better fairly better than stock performance and then just work on learning how to drive before I get ahead of myself with all the fine tuning that wasn't really all that necessary until I was sure that was what was holding me back. Plus, I didn't have all the track time available to get everything dialed in. Basically just wanted to slap something solid in and go with it rather than chase gremlins around that I wasn't confident I could catch in time to get a win.

That's incredibly awesome of you to lend me a shock, plus it will give us a chance to finally sling a sud or two and BS about racin. I will definitely consider it. But, arent you going to make a warranty claim as well?

The milwaukee race is on labor day. There's a track day on saturday that weekend there as well that I wanted to used for a practice day. You should make it if you can. I've never been on the track myself, but from what I hear, it's a pretty incredible experience. Can't wait to hit my first bank..Now it's off to the bank for $$$.

Fuck. Buying a brand new motorcycle in the middle of a race season was not my greatest idea.

Kaldar142

Reaction score
Kind of off topic but are you guys actually doing racing? If so what organization/class, I've been doing HPDEs and track days but I want to involve myself more and get into racing.

I have an E30 I was building for spec e30 but I would love to get competetive with my stang... Because I tear up the track in the HPDEs :)

Reaction score
Dave does NASA TT class I believe, among other things. Which is kinda like a wheel to wheel and autocross at the same time. He can explain it better than I can.

I'm doing the basic autocross format that we are all familiar with. But I'm doing that on road courses. Standing start, flying finish timed single laps. You get some practice sessions in the morn. Then after lunch, you get timed single laps. Your fastest one of the day is what is counted for placement amongst your class rivals. AKA Time Attack.

BTW. Myautoevents.com should find you something near you.

marksti

forum member
Reaction score
.. Because I tear up the track in the HPDEs :)

Its funny these s197 cars aren't what the old ones were about...they start at alot higher level to begin with.

Its loooks like the afermarket is catching up and giving s197 owners some good options on upgrades...in drag and road racing

Last edited:

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
I haven't touched my GC setup since I installed it (same basic mentality - I wanted an improvement over stock, then I'd learn to drive the car, then start tuning). They require no more attention than a conventional strut setup; but they give you plenty of room to grow. I've never regretted a dime I spent on these.

IMO, take advantage of Dave's offer and save your bucks for a winter revamp..

Kaldar142

Reaction score
Its funny these s197 cars aren't what the old ones were about...they start at alot higher level to begin with.

Its loooks like the afermarket is catching up and giving s197 owners some good options on upgrades...in drag and road racing

Oh yeah man, suprised a lot of euros and Japanese cars... Even though it was just HPDE I was the fastest driver in the group

Reaction score
I haven't touched my GC setup since I installed it (same basic mentality - I wanted an improvement over stock, then I'd learn to drive the car, then start tuning). They require no more attention than a conventional strut setup; but they give you plenty of room to grow. I've never regretted a dime I spent on these.

IMO, take advantage of Dave's offer and save your bucks for a winter revamp..

I dunno if something is up with GCs site or what. But it's down. I can't get any info or getting a complete kit from anyone else. I can only find what looks like a "base" setup that does not come with shocks.
I read duster had a few little issues with his install, so if I were to buy one, I'd like the most up to date releases. Or at least know the company who makes them is still around. lol.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back