Pushed it to its limits or a defective part?

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
There's a Hydraulic control unit AND a control module?

Yep. The HCU is the hunk of aluminum all the lines run in and out of, and the module is the plastic part on the side that the harness plugs into.

You can use the stock HCU and control module when you upgrade to a big brake kit, BUT, the control module will come in and stop the party when you try to take advantage of those big brakes because it still "thinks" it has stock brakes.
It still works, but I was skeptical of how effective it would be at the limit with everything calibrated for stock GT brakes (last thing I want is the ABS freaking out late-braking into a turn!). The hiccup I experienced at the auto-x is what motivated me to do it..I didn't want to experience that on a road course. How different they are, I'm not sure of. I installed the GT500 HCU/Module in anticipation of eventually going to the FR500C module and in hopes that it would work better than the GT unit in the interim.

When you install the GT500 HCU, the traction control light comes on..and you lose traction control?
Correct.

And thats where the FR500C module comes in.
It comes into play when you have a good suspension and sticky tires that takes your stopping capabilities far beyond stock, in other words when your ABS comes on purely because your deceleration rates are so high.

Reaction score
OK, see that why I said AND a control module. Because I know what/where the HCU is, but I wasn't sure if the harness on the side of it was coming from the control module or if it was simply both slaped together. Haven't taken a deep look at it.

Thanks,

There was a really good thread on this subject that I lost. It had part numbers and good descriptions.

Last edited:

SD07GT

forum member
Reaction score
Yep. The HCU is the hunk of aluminum all the lines run in and out of, and the module is the plastic part on the side that the harness plugs into.

It still works, but I was skeptical of how effective it would be at the limit with everything calibrated for stock GT brakes (last thing I want is the ABS freaking out late-braking into a turn!). The hiccup I experienced at the auto-x is what motivated me to do it..I didn't want to experience that on a road course. How different they are, I'm not sure of. I installed the GT500 HCU/Module in anticipation of eventually going to the FR500C module and in hopes that it would work better than the GT unit in the interim.

Correct.

It comes into play when you have a good suspension and sticky tires that takes your stopping capabilities far beyond stock, in other words when your ABS comes on purely because your deceleration rates are so high.

What do you think about leaving the HCU in (stock gt ) with the gt500 brakes and the FR5OOC MODULE ONLY ?

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
What do you think about leaving the HCU in (stock gt ) with the gt500 brakes and the FR5OOC MODULE ONLY ?

I haven't the foggiest idea if that would work, and if so, how well. I'd put it under my "not recommended" column though.

Actually it looks like the proper application for the module is the FR500S, not FR500C. The part number listed is M-2353-A per the parts list, listing for $250, but I seem to recall hearing it's one of those things you have to "know someone" to get..but maybe not, I've never tried to order.

SD07GT

forum member
Reaction score
I haven't the foggiest idea if that would work, and if so, how well. I'd put it under my "not recommended" column though.

Actually it looks like the proper application for the module is the FR500S, not FR500C. The part number listed is M-2353-A per the parts list, listing for $250, but I seem to recall hearing it's one of those things you have to "know someone" to get..but maybe not, I've never tried to order.

Speak with Steve in parts at Tousley Ford in Minnesota 1-800-328-9552 .. He sells all SVT parts @ FR500 parts at 10 % over cost ..and anything out of the motor sports catalog also.

Maye he can Help !

I will tell you I have my TCS always turned off ..and I have pulled the ABS fuse out before on other cars with Brembo brakes and WOW theres alot of brake left but it will lock up hard if you don't know where that point is ... maybe Ill try it on this car and see how it does .

Last edited:

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Duster, you're correct... It is the FR500S module that we want... That is completely engineered around the GT500 MC, power booster, HCU and Brembos, with R-comp tires... Specifically the BFG R1 that the 500S runs. I have heard that the MC and power booster are non-critical, but just swapping in the Brembo kit with the GT master can result is a "sloppy" feeling pedal. It still looks to be a good setup for the road course!

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
Duster, you're correct... It is the FR500S module that we want... That is completely engineered around the GT500 MC, power booster, HCU and Brembos, with R-comp tires... Specifically the BFG R1 that the 500S runs. I have heard that the MC and power booster are non-critical, but just swapping in the Brembo kit with the GT master can result is a "sloppy" feeling pedal. It still looks to be a good setup for the road course!

Is the GT500 master larger than the GT? I hope so, but I had heard it was not from reputable sources (but I think this may have been based around the M/C being not included or mentioned in the FRPP brake kit). Maybe they meant not required rather than not different?

My pedal is softer than I like, and I can put it to the floor at a stop..but in motion I am bouncing off the ABS before I run out of stroke. But I would find it unacceptable if I had a car like that from the factory. I've bled and bled and bled, had the dealer pressure bleed it after swapping in the HCU, and I recently installed braided lines..nothing made much difference (the lines helped the most, but that was just a tiny bit still).

SD07GT

forum member
Reaction score
Is the GT500 master larger than the GT? I hope so, but I had heard it was not from reputable sources (but I think this may have been based around the M/C being not included or mentioned in the FRPP brake kit). Maybe they meant not required rather than not different?

My pedal is softer than I like, and I can put it to the floor at a stop..but in motion I am bouncing off the ABS before I run out of stroke. But I would find it unacceptable if I had a car like that from the factory. I've bled and bled and bled, had the dealer pressure bleed it after swapping in the HCU, and I recently installed braided lines..nothing made much difference (the lines helped the most, but that was just a tiny bit still).

Duster.. something is wrong with your system ! I have the gt500 setup and the only thing I did was bleed the front brakes with more fluid when I put them on . My pedal is hard at a stop and function like my stock brakes and just a little play.

The only thing is my abs will turn on quicker if I get on them very hard ..depending on what speed I'm going but overall from the stock system with HKS pads and braided lines the gt500 brakes are a HUGE difference in scrubbing speed off and these have no fade in them also .

my system already had the Motul high temp fluid , I have know idea what could be wrong if the dealer already power bleed them. you might want to check your vacuum on your Brake booster to see if its holding ?

good luck

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
Well I don't mean the pedal goes to the floor when I'm stopping; but say I'm sitting at a stop, I can push the pedal to the floor with moderate effort. I don't recall being able to do this with the GT brakes. The system has been bled probably 8-10 times this year, one of which being the ABS purge/pressure bleed at the dealer..little to no difference in pedal feel any of the times, so I seriously doubt there's air in the system. The pedal doesn't sink if I keep constant pressure on it so the MC isn't faulty..I just think the MC is just a little on the small side.

Reaction score
I uploaded the video of what happened to me. For some reason, the sound is way off time wise. This is the second video in a row that this has happened. I have no ideo wtf is going on. I used the same .avi trimmer that I've used in the past with no problems. It plays fine on my computer. I'll dick with it later I guess. Anyone else use a different .avi trimmer besides "solveigmm avi trimmer"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cah_koxYOrE

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back