Question and Answer On Safety Requirements

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thought this was a good question and answer with JPC

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-Sanctioned-Events-Detailed-List-of-Questions.

DOUG1227

Safety Requirements for Sanctioned Events - Detailed List of Questions
All,

I recently went through the NHRA rulebook to see if I could figure out what all would be required to make my car 100% legit from a safety perspective so that I could participate in some sanctioned events this year. I'm interested in being able to participate in things like Fun Ford Weekend, NMRA, maybe Drag Week or something like that.

I'm really curious to hear from you folks that have been attending these types of events to let me know to what degree the rules are enforced. I'm listing below what I think will be required for MY car with a target ET and MPH of 9.00 @ 155 (I think the next big jump is 8.50?) Please let me know if you in your experience, the items listed are required or enforced. My car recently made 960/850 on a dynojet dyno and is an Aluminator + Hellion Twins setup. If I miss anything, please bring it to my attention. Thanks!

• SFI Spec 18.1 Harmonic Balancer (below 10.99) - currently running the stock balancer
  • Transmission Shield SFI Spec 4.1 (below 10.99) - Not sure what this is. My car is currently set up with a 6R80 with aftermarket converter. Nothing else.
  • Flexplate meeting SFI Spec 29.1 (below 9.99) - currently running a stock flexplate
  • Flexplate Shield meeting SFI Spec 30.1 (below 9.99) - currently running the stock 6R80 bellhousing
  • Aftermarket axles and axle retention device (below 10.99) - currently running stock axles, differential, and c-clips.
  • Driveshaft Loop (below 11.49) - I actually have this! LOL!
  • Parachute (above 150mph) - yeah, I said parachute!
  • Roll bar (5point) (needed from 10.0-10.9) - don't have one yet
  • Roll cage (main loop, dash bars, etc.) (below 9.99) - Serious stuff here.
  • Roll cage padding (below 9.99) - nada
  • Window net meeting SFI 27.1 (below 9.99 or above 135mph) - again, serious stuff....
  • Master Battery cutoff - I've relocated the battery to the trunk and need to add the master cutoff.
  • NHRA License (below 9.99)
  • Harness meeting SFI Spec 16.1 (below 11.49)
  • Helmet meeting M2005, M2010, K2005, SA2005, SA2010 (below 9.99) - not sure what I have, but there is a higher requirement below 10.0
  • Neck Collar meeting SFI Spec 3.3 (below 9.99)
  • Clothing - SFI 3.2A/1 - good to 10.0
  • - SFI3.2A/5 - below 9.99 or above 135
  • Gloves - SFI 3.3/1 - below 9.99 or above 135

I think that's everything. Please let me know what you guys are seeing as hard requirements and if I missed anything or if something on this list isn't really needed. As you can tell, it's a pretty long list!​
2012 GT/CS Aluminator 11:1 + Hellion Twins! 960rwhp/850rwtq

JPC ANSWER

SFI Spec 18.1 Harmonic Balancer (below 10.99) - Rarely Enforced
Transmission Shield SFI Spec 4.1 (below 10.99) - I've never seen this enforced. It's done more so with cars going sub 7 second passes
Flexplate meeting SFI Spec 29.1 (below 9.99) - Never seen this enforced
Flexplate Shield meeting SFI Spec 30.1 (below 9.99) -Never Seen this enforced
Aftermarket axles and axle retention device (below 10.99) - Never enforced but highly encourged. If you have a parachute you should have aftermarket axles.
Driveshaft Loop (below 11.49) - Regularly Enforced
Parachute (above 150mph) - Regularly Enforced
Roll bar (6****point) (needed from 10.0-10.9) - highly recommned and enforced.
Roll cage (main loop, dash bars, etc.) (below 9.99) - highly recommended and enforced.
Roll cage padding (below 9.99) - highly recommended and enforced.
Window net meeting SFI 27.1 (below 9.99 or above 135mph) - highly recommended and usually enforced.
Master Battery cutoff - Highly Enforced.
NHRA License (below 9.99) - Enforced.
Harness meeting SFI Spec 16.1 (below 11.49) - Enforced.
Helmet meeting M2005, M2010, K2005, SA2005, SA2010 (below 9.99) - Needs to be Snell Approved. Every track will check this, make sure its legit
Neck Collar meeting SFI Spec 3.3 (below 9.99) - Highly Recommend but usually not enforced.
Clothing - SFI 3.2A/1 - good to 10.0
- SFI3.2A/5 - below 9.99 or above 135 - Fire Jacket and Pants are highly recommended.
Gloves - SFI 3.3/1 - below 9.99 or above 135

Follow what I put above and you' usually never have an issue at any sanctioned event. The cage and saftey gear would definitally be my #1 go to items. If your afraid of going to a 10 point I would at minimum recommend a 6/8 point cage. That will atleast protect you in a roll over situation, but just remember that when you hit a wall at 150+ your bumper is going to go through your firewall. So those bars you opted out on could save your life.

Bud

forum member
Reaction score
Replied over on svtperf, what Aaron said pretty much covers what I've seen out east. See what your local tracks do for tech though, ours is strict as shit. If you show up looking like your ducks are in a row they go over the car quick and a few things might slide. If you have some obvious pieces missing though they pick you part (locally here).

wckdgt

forum member
Reaction score
so when do you need to start wearing a fire jacket? I see it says single layer to 10.0, but at what time do you need one? I should add if your running N/A

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Safety First. Never being enforced doe not make the car safe. Our local track was very lax on rules. In fact I have seen cars go deep into the 7 second 1/4 mile zone with a single race Seat, Factory Seat Belt, Fire Jacket and a Helmet. There point was that if the driver signs the tech Sheet that his car is only going 12.0s then the liability falls back on him if he goes faster. Bull shit. If I do this and go faster, it is the tracks rsponsibility to tell me to slow it down or come back with the correct safety equipment.

I personally have driven many cars over the years and NEVER get in a car without my Full Face Helmet and Fire Jacket minimally. You can never be too safe.

The local track used to allow you to race without a helmet 14.00 and slower. At 14.00 you are going high 90s to possible low 100s for MPH. Crash on the top end, bang your head at that speed and see what happens! You are getting hurt bad and then some.

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
Once you have witnessed someone being killed at a drag strip as a result of not having the proper equipment it puts safety in a different perspective.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back