Question on pinion backlash

Skarkull

forum member
Reaction score
I’m rebuilding a 8.8 and I’m currently checking tooth pattern. I’ve checked back lash and I have it set to .011” with maximum allowed at .012”. Tooth pattern is centered between crown and root but is too much on the toe on the drive side and heel on the coast side. Everything I’ve read says I need more backlash. How is that so?

0BAECBB6-AEEC-4515-BD34-071031C3D54D.jpeg

77244B74-C778-4BAD-AC42-62D4F7B1CFCE.jpeg

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Did you take a baseline reading of your pinion depth? From the pattern, it looks like it needs to come out a bit.

Skarkull

forum member
Reaction score
It was disassembled and prepped for powder coat before that was done. Being it had issues to begin with we didn’t think it important to take measurements from a bad setup

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The pinion needs to be shimmed out some more.

One trick is to take an old pinion bearing and open it up with a grinder or a piece of emery cloth so that it will slip on the pinion. That way you can mock up and measure without having to press the new bearing on and off the pinion.

hunter1022

forum member
Reaction score
As someone else mentioned above if you are reusing your ring and pinion gear you should take a base line before disassembly and reset the backlash to what ever it was the ring and pinion already have a set wear pattern and if you are not set at the same you could end up with a real noisy rear and possibly early gear failure.

Skarkull

forum member
Reaction score
I have the original shim, measured and have it set up to the original spec. Also, I did use a set up bearing, tearing down isn’t that much of a hassle, just time consuming.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back