questions about dark stars use, and quality

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
i have a strong lead on selling my square setup 18x10 forged roush wheels so im now researching dark stars as a potential new wheel. my car is a street car with nominal if any track time use. with that in mind, i want to run 18x10.5 out back, and im not sure if i should go with 17x7.5 up front or 17x9.50? im more so leaning towards 17x9.5 though hoping itll be less likely to bend a wheel. is there any truth to that train of thought? i wouldnt say the roads out here are littered with craters, but certain roads can be rough. that said, im very selective where i drive my car. i just dont want to be caught in a situation of being on an unfamiliar road and likely bending a wheel.

i have a few basic questions, and im getting mixed information while researching.

1- is it a regular occurrence, or has anyone heard that when the tires are mounted to a race star brand wheel there are issues upon acceleration with a sticky tire? ive heard/read the tires start slipping on the drive wheels and throw the balance off? do a lot of people end up just screwing their tires to the wheels?

2-any issues with the finish flaking/peeling? i know better than to use harsh wheel acid, and i keep my car pretty clean so i can get by just fine with soap and water. i remember when american muscle offered a lot of black chrome options, everyone complained of the finish prematurely peeling. i know theyre not high end wheels, but they sure look nice and id like to keep them that way.

3-id only consider direct drill. what do i need to mount the wheels? will oem wheel studs work for a non track oriented setup? should i consider open end or closed end? swaybar relocaion? i currently run the bmr "swaybar delete".

thanks!

Last edited:

ebrow21

forum member
Reaction score
This is a 12 gt, they are the only wheel/tire setup used on the vehicle.

1.) No issues with slipping/shifting that I can tell, they balance true with two sets of tires so far. No shimmy/shake when they are installed properly.

2.) The center caps have faded/peeled......china.

3.) I use oem studs with no issues, with many many track passes at 1.4x 60's

3a.) I use a strano rear swabyar, swaybar relocation brackets are unnecessary with it, even with 15x10's.

Also, keep in mind stock swaybar clearance with relocation brackets, and all other aftermarket suspension parts you may have on the vehicle. I spent a lot of time and effort finding a combo that fit WITHOUT any bending or grinding. Good luck.

Edit: That is, if you intend on using a 15in wheel. You do not need to relocate the swaybar while running a 17in wheel.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back