Racers Input: Choices for 2011 Season

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I say biw if you can afford it, that way you don't have to worry about Butch getting hit when driving around town and ruining the season.

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
Body in white would be my pick. I decided to go this route myself because my street car was close to becoming a race car. I have tried the dual purpose thing to many times to know it never works out well. I put my road race suspension back on the GT so I can enjoy it as a street car and made an offer on a 08 CJ last week.

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
SD, I struggled with the same decision two years ago - maintain a modified street legal car or build a dedicated race car (Corvette). Based on the number of race events, the classes I chose to compete in, where those events took place and the fact that I was pushing the car 10/10s on the track, led to a SCCA legal roll cage, fire suppression system, race seats, harnesses, window net, etc. It became clear that a dedicated race car made more sense. This decision allowed me to do 2 things: (1) install all the safety and performance mods without caring about their impact on the street; and (2) enable me to push myself and my car much harder on the track because I knew it was a race car - I could beat the hell out of it and not worry about damaging my 'daily driver'. Build the dedicated race car - you won't regret it. Mike

Last edited:

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
...and made an offer on a 08 CJ last week.
Nice....very nice!

Get a camaro.
Get fucked.

I go with what seems to be the popular opinion. The BIW is ideal but can you afford ideal?
Actually....it can be done with the amount I'm looking at from current sponsorship for 2011. I've got the 3V wiring harness/computer swap setup I bought from Steve Poe, enough parts for two engines, a set of wheels, 9" center section, race seats......the rest will depend on the class and the rules for 2011.

You don't want to know my opinion...
I know....I know. :beer:

SD just make sure your still insight of my tail lights ;)
Kid...if I choose the B-I-W the only time I'll see your tail lights will be when you drive by on the return road as I'm picking up the parachute.

SD, I struggled with the same decision two years ago - maintain a modified street legal car or build a dedicated race car (Corvette). Based on the number of race events, the classes I chose to compete in, where those events took place and the fact that I was pushing the car 10/10s on the track, led to a SCCA legal roll cage, fire suppression system, race seats, harnesses, window net, etc. It became clear that a dedicated race car made more sense. This decision allowed me to do 2 things: (1) install all the safety and performance mods without caring about their impact on the street; and (2) enable me to push myself and my car much harder on the track because I knew it was a race car - I could beat the hell out of it and not worry about damaging my 'daily driver'. Build the dedicated race car - you won't regret it. Mike
Essentially....that's where I'm at with this deal. I've said all along I don't want to put the forward bars through the dash on a car this nice. I'm also getting the urge to go into a heads up class.

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Essentially....that's where I'm at with this deal. I've said all along I don't want to put the forward bars through the dash on a car this nice. I'm also getting the urge to go into a heads up class.

Yup, I've been there. Door panels cut up and dash cut open for forward bars of roll cage and NASCAR door bars on a car that has less than 40K miles on it. Now that its a dedicated race car, I actually enjoy it more and don't stress about the modifications. I think you'lll appreciate this photo, LOL! Enjoy the race car build.

n1021434504_255965_5604.jpg

EagleStroker

N/A Junkie
Reaction score
Actually....it can be done with the amount I'm looking at from current sponsorship for 2011. I've got the 3V wiring harness/computer swap setup I bought from Steve Poe, enough parts for two engines, a set of wheels, 9" center section, race seats......the rest will depend on the class and the rules for 2011.

Well then why the hell are you consulting us chief? :roflmao:

07stangcs

Undecided
Reaction score
RENTAL! Sorry had to say it. LOL

seriously tho. Just pay off butch and skys the limit after that. After butch is payed off either build it or use it as your DD and use the extra money on the new project.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
SD if you can swing the BIW and get it ready for the 2011 season I think you would be way ahead in the long run to go with the BIW. Less stress at race time, worrying about something happening to Butch, would be worth the extra cost.

Earl

sixshooter798

Reaction score
I'm voting you stick with Butch. The BIW's are cool, but sooooo pricey to get ready. You already have a winning race car. Nothing is broken, so what are you trying to fix?

07stangcs

Undecided
Reaction score
All kidding aside....that was a fun year.

Just bustin your balls. How much do you owe on the car and how many years left on the loan. I was totally against trading my car in cause I figured why pay all that money and end up in the hole... Only reason I'm going 5.0 is the dealer gave me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back