Racing schools?

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone attend here attend one? How was the experience? Recommendations?

Looking to spend a season really working on seat time, etc. Racing license next year.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
I haven't attended one yet, but I do plan to... Any of the "big three," Bondurant, Skip Barber, or Jim Russell will give you what you need. AFAIK, if you take the "long program" with any of them, you're eligible to apply immediately for an SCCA regional license, which is portable to other sanctioning bodies. You can also do a school at Miller Motorsports Park and get a Grand Am license.

If you don't want to do it all in one (expensive) shot, then NASA's HPDE ladder program gives you what you need, but it will take longer than a week... The NASA comp license is accepted by SCCA now, as well. Once you get through HPDE-4, you can do a "comp school" and be racing by the end of the weekend...

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
Some of the instructors I've had at NASA track days went to the Bondurant and Skip Barber schools while working on their competition licenses. They were happy with the experience. They said its more expensive than doing track days, but you get a lot more useful wheel to wheel experience.

You may have seen one of them at the PDA/NASA events if you went to them in the past few years. His name is Guy and he has an older(1990's) red Mustang Cobra with a full cage and carbed 351 under the hood. He has been to a lot of the NASA and PDA events.

TLeroux

Reaction score

Looking to spend a season really working on seat time, etc. Racing license next year.
I'll let you know, I'm heading out to take a Barber school between Christmas an New Years.

Terry

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Just to make sure you saw this:

Note: This course requires a race prepared car! The race car must meet SCCA or NASA race requirements. A vehicle log book with proof of an annual tech is preferred.

If yours isn't built to spec (full cage, NASCAR door bars, fire bottle, harnesses within expiration, right-side net, window net, etc.) then you'll either have to rent a car for the course, or borrow one.

I'm not saying that this is not a good deal, BUT, the NASA comp school is less money, and lasts for a full 3-day weekend, and includes a REAL W2W race or two. Assuming you have documented open-passing experience, you can just sign up and go. Otherwise, the Barber/Bondurant/Russell schools are 3-4 days long, not one day, and include the cost of the car.

In the end, all I'm saying is that you should weigh all the costs involved, not just the school tuition. FAAST is accredited, so the program is going to be good. I just can't see them successfully cramming a 3-4 day curriculum into a single day without glossing over something. If a competition license is what you're after, then that looks like it may be a valid choice. If you're looking to maximize your skill set, then there may be other options that would make more sense.

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score
Just to make sure you saw this:

Note: This course requires a race prepared car! The race car must meet SCCA or NASA race requirements. A vehicle log book with proof of an annual tech is preferred.

If yours isn't built to spec (full cage, NASCAR door bars, fire bottle, harnesses within expiration, right-side net, window net, etc.) then you'll either have to rent a car for the course, or borrow one.

I'm not saying that this is not a good deal, BUT, the NASA comp school is less money, and lasts for a full 3-day weekend, and includes a REAL W2W race or two. Assuming you have documented open-passing experience, you can just sign up and go. Otherwise, the Barber/Bondurant/Russell schools are 3-4 days long, not one day, and include the cost of the car.

In the end, all I'm saying is that you should weigh all the costs involved, not just the school tuition. FAAST is accredited, so the program is going to be good. I just can't see them successfully cramming a 3-4 day curriculum into a single day without glossing over something. If a competition license is what you're after, then that looks like it may be a valid choice. If you're looking to maximize your skill set, then there may be other options that would make more sense.

i was talking about the silver package under the gold it is like 600 bucks and you drive your car.

Kaldar142

Reaction score
What school is there in/around the Mid-Atlantic area? What school would be good for me?I've done quite a few HPDEs and some PDXs

Long term goal is pro racing

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
NASA is running their Super Competition School at VIR in February and March where you can obtain your racing license. However, your car has to meet minimum NASA specs to participate. Here's the link. Contact Chris Cobetto 804-883-7669 or Laura at 804-883-7887.

Last edited:

sqidds

Banned
Reaction score

This is a real good start and close to you. They are a good stepping stone and you even get to pound on their cars:
http://www.midohio.com/School

After that I recomed Skip Barber. I have done almsot all of them and IMHO they were the best.

Philostang

Chrome Hater
Reaction score
Hey that's my review of Bondurant!

Thanks for stealing my thunder Sleep, I was all ready to say hello to everyone here at S197forums with something to say, and you go and spill the beans. Of course, I'm kidding, I love ya Sleep! :beerchug2:

In the review I make mention of the cost. Granted, it's a big pill to swallow, and I had to move around quite a bit of other plans to fit it into my budget. When all is said and done I am firmly convinced it was the BEST thing I could have done for myself. The difference in how I drive is just incredible and the times I've shaved off are very large.

Anyway, I'm glad to have found this forum, as lots of the other folks I admire in my other forum are already here. And it's always good to talk to Dave!

Best,
-j

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
Any East coat guys do Laguna Seca? Looks like you fly into San Francisco, rental car for the rest. Sound right?

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
Hey that's my review of Bondurant!

Thanks for stealing my thunder Sleep, I was all ready to say hello to everyone here at S197forums with something to say, and you go and spill the beans. Of course, I'm kidding, I love ya Sleep! :beerchug2:

In the review I make mention of the cost. Granted, it's a big pill to swallow, and I had to move around quite a bit of other plans to fit it into my budget. When all is said and done I am firmly convinced it was the BEST thing I could have done for myself. The difference in how I drive is just incredible and the times I've shaved off are very large.

Anyway, I'm glad to have found this forum, as lots of the other folks I admire in my other forum are already here. And it's always good to talk to Dave!

Best,
-j

I'm planning to do a Bondurant course some day as well, considering I've already driven on 3 of the 4 tracks at Firebird, it is 20 mins from my house, and I know a few of the instructors
:chainsaw:

Philostang

Chrome Hater
Reaction score
20 minutes!! If I only knew...I could have slept on your floor and saved the hotel costs.

Seriously though, with what I spent on airfare, hotel, and car rental, I could have probably done a follow-up advanced class at the end of this year. You're a fortunate one...so go! go! go!

Best,
-j

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
OK...going to Bondurant first week on January. The schedule worked best for me and I'll be able to visit with my dad in Phoenix. I also like the fact they use Z51 Vettes. Next time I might do Skip Barbe at VIR.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back