Raxiom Gen2 GPS/Bluetooths?

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
So it says bluetooth on the non-sync version. I don't have sync, but I added a bluetooth module that takes over the satellite radio slot so I can stream pandora. Will this replace that functionality? Are there any videos of it in action? Does it use an external mic for non-sync cars?

AMAlexLazarus

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Hey CB - If you've added the Bluetooth and it's still functional I don't believe that it would interfere. We just had it brought on so I'm trying to get as much info on this as well and we should definitely have a video up on this shortly, I'm sorry I had little info on this but let me do some digging on the mic question.

Alex

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
You can just send me one, I'll let you know.

And my blueteeth don't have any useful info on the screen, which is kinda annoying.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
I was going to take install pictures... but realized it was useless to anybody else. Most of the install was exactly the same as the first gen, with the only exceptions for me being removal of the isimple gateway I had in the car. Plus, the directions were pretty damn perfect.

Initial impressions:

Looks perfect. Plastic matches stock perfectly. Screen has two brightness settings, bright is good in the overcast day we're having.

Nav is definitely better than the videos I've seen of the first gen units. GPS antenna is magnetic, and tucked up under the dash nicely, got full location within seconds of firing it up first time.
Except... it saw I was in NY, and when I went to program my parents' address in Florida, it took some time figuring out how to make it find addresses out of state. Probably a good thing, because I switched it to the entire US and tried to put in Tallahassee, and it was trying to keep up with predictive. It was maybe 5 or 6 seconds until it caught up and would accept inputs again.
And once it started routing, it had an error pop up. After another hour or two of playing around with it, error didn't pop back up.

Bluetooth streaming audio is on par with the isimple gateway, which makes me think the weak link of the audio system in my car isn't the bluetooth module. Music streams well, but you have to select the bluetooth audio button on the phone screen to get it to play. That took me a few seconds to figure out. Does not display artist or song info on screen from my iphone using stock music app or pandora, not a deal breaker, but it just displays a bland message about a2dp.

MP3 CD playback is basically stock, except the stupid green lcd screen is replaced by the big touch screen.

Added bonus, in the settings screen, there is an option for city, which I programmed in. I connected it to my wifi and it pulled weather data! On the main screen, it's the cloud button on the top near the left side of the screen.

So overall initial impressions: Keep your stock radio stock, but add navigation and bluetooth? For sure. Very slick layout, looks amazing to me, but my first passenger had NO clue it wasn't a stock piece. Which, I guess, is a huge compliment. It's a few hundred cheaper than any option for an aftermarket head unit, and the heater/ac controls aren't stupid. One of my biggest holdups on looking at alpine perfect fit and the kenwood head units was that the stock knobs would be replaced by stupid buttons. Definitely worth it to me just to keep the knobs.

I'll update with more thoughts on it in a few days, when I have had ample time to live with it for a while. I'll use nav for trips to some different destinations, the nav menu has options for parking near destination, so I'm interested in how that turns out.

Also: I didn't install the backup camera because of what is showing on the weather screen. Install without the camera was about an hour to an hour and a half, and I am not the handiest man around. I bet somebody with actual ability to work on cars could do it quicker.

Finally: Pictures! Just quick ones with the iphone, my car is a mess from the winter. I'll take it for a detailing at some point soon and get better pictures.

First: The error. I think this was a fluke from me being a jerk to it making it search the entire country with the predictive text working the whole time.

Screen you see while streaming bluetooth audio to it:

CD payback screen:

Nav screen:

Destination info screen from nav:

Weather screen (also why I wasn't getting on my back on the brick driveway to install the camera):

A giant thanks to Alex for sending me one of these to test out!

07TR

forum member
Reaction score
Is there one of these that will work in my 07?

Note I have been searching for a reliable digital receiver for In my 07 and was really hoping this could provide the insight to whether the raxiom one is worth looking into

Last edited:

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hmm, so the impression I get is that this isn't any type of improvement over the Pioneer nav unit I already have in my car.

AMAlexLazarus

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Is there one of these that will work in my 07?

Note I have been searching for a reliable digital receiver for In my 07 and was really hoping this could provide the insight to whether the raxiom one is worth looking into

There is indeed a Nav for the 05-09 that can be found below and I honestly can't confirm if it's something that they've looked into or are intending on doing.

stormtropper

Reaction score
I have an 06 PJ that goes dead every winter - will this unit stop this from occurring- I had heard the factory shaker500 unit draws down the battery. Alex send me one out to test for a few years and I will let you know what I have learned :)

AMAlexLazarus

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I have an 06 PJ that goes dead every winter - will this unit stop this from occurring- I had heard the factory shaker500 unit draws down the battery. Alex send me one out to test for a few years and I will let you know what I have learned :)

Nice collection of Saleens sir! Can you elaborate on this or are you pulling my leg :whistle1: Car on a battery tender when it's down?

As much as I wish I could I'm only allocated so many to have sent out but while we're at it I'd love to see a shot of both cars.

Alex

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice collection of Saleens sir! Can you elaborate on this or are you pulling my leg :whistle1: Car on a battery tender when it's down?

As much as I wish I could I'm only allocated so many to have sent out but while we're at it I'd love to see a shot of both cars.

Alex

Do you guys work on customer cars too or just your project cars in your shop? I just noticed that your not too very far from me, I'm stationed at Ft. Dix NJ.

AMAlexLazarus

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Do you guys work on customer cars too or just your project cars in your shop? I just noticed that your not too very far from me, I'm stationed at Ft. Dix NJ.

Unfortunately not sir. Between our video team working around the clock and our photo team being on top of them working at times we just can't accommodate installs.

Drop me a line if you don't have our Military discount and I'll get you set up.

V/R

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You mean all this time you had a military discount and I wasn't using it? I like the guys at Swarr so I might have them do some work. Its looking like when I retire I'll be in the area so I need my mustang to pass emissions.

AMAlexLazarus

Official Vendor
Reaction score
You mean all this time you had a military discount and I wasn't using it? I like the guys at Swarr so I might have them do some work. Its looking like when I retire I'll be in the area so I need my mustang to pass emissions.

PM received and replied.

Eric's good people and he knows us well. I was going to say he'd be my top suggestion.

Alex

07TR

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Alex, I just have never found someone at a car show that installed one and could report on how it worked for them

AMAlexLazarus

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Alex, I just have never found someone at a car show that installed one and could report on how it worked for them

07 - No problem at all. Believe it or not we're actually getting close to our car show. I'd bet a fair amount that there's going to be a slew of cars there with one installed and if not we'll let you poke around one of our cars that has one.

Let me know if anything in the meantime at all and I'm here to help.

Alex

Back