Raxiom Retros

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Ok, I gave in a got the Raxiom Retro Headlights from American Muscle. I hate my halos and I like to refresh the look of the front a little. Even though I have an Mineral Gray Mustang, I ordered the retros painted black. I think this will contrast and not make the headlight stand too far out. I have black accents on the car and I think it would 1969 Boss headlight look like this:

1438.jpg

I'll post up the results with the HID kits installed. I was about to get the CS side scoops but those headlights have had my curiousity. It's something I havent seen on many mustangs YET. In my area the silverhorse quarter louvers are still rare to see. I've only seen 1 other guy with them on his legend lime.

Last edited:

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
I think the darker colors like black, sonic, alloy, and highland look better body color. The retros fit your car. Lighter colors even my mineral looks too light in my opinion to sport the retros in body color. Something about the chrome reflector needing contrast separation and the retro housing seam standing out against the lighter color. But this is just my opinion. I thought about using alloy, but I thought the black spyders and black accents would look better with just plain black. I didn't want to introduce a new color to the car. I've seen some "creative" combos in AM's website.......and I have to say I'm not a fan of the vice versa.......somebody put white retros on a blue car with white stripes. It looked ghetto.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Sherrod did you put tinted protective film on your lens? If so where did you get them and do they have plain clear available?

IHVOCD

forum member
Reaction score
I thought you couldn't put hids in the Raxiom lights.

SherrodMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Sherrod did you put tinted protective film on your lens? If so where did you get them and do they have plain clear available?

I did, got it from...

http://www.bigwormgraphix.net/

Used the fog light tint for them. Fit was a little small but you cant tell with the covers around the headlights on.

IMG_20120323_222043.jpg

IMG_20120315_171115.jpg

I thought you couldn't put hids in the Raxiom lights.

I have heard the same thing. Will see how it works.

Last edited:

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
why couldnt you put a 35w hid on these lights? If you can do it on a GT foglight why not this? plus, chris at AM didnt voice any issues when i told him my plan.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

SherrodMustang

forum member
Reaction score
why couldnt you put a 35w hid on these lights? If you can do it on a GT foglight why not this? plus, chris at AM didnt voice any issues when i told him my plan.

Not sure.. I have HID's in my right now with zero problems. :thumb2:

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
I cant see a 35w melting the plastic len unless you drive around with the headlight on everytime you turn the car on.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the supplied bulb in the retro lights were 55w halogen bulbs. On a different mustang forum a guy tested his retros with a temp probe inside the housing and right above the dome bulb shield thingy. This was his results:

55w Halogen= 261 degrees

55w HID from retro solutions= 270

So a 9 degrees difference. The halogen was tested to peak temperature, which was reached in 20 minutes of run time. The HID was tested in the same retro headlight housing right after the halogen test so the housing was still hot. But still only peaked 9 degrees after a few more minute of run time.

The lens is made from polycarbonate (lexan). It will start to craze at 300 degrees and flow (melt) at 500 degrees.

The member stated that he feels confident to run his 55w HIDs considering only a 9-10 degree increase and 30 degrees of space before damage.

He also stated this was done sitting still in the garage. He documented that housing temps also decreased with a box fan blowing on them. He said consider similar decreases when traveling highway speeds.

Credit for that great research goes to the member screenname called Ford-a-tude.

With that guys weekend research with his own raxiom retro headlights that makes me feel a little better. I run a 35w HID system and as far as I know 35w runs cooler than a 55w. I know a few guys with mustang using 55w HId in there fogs would craze or "melt" the lens........the fix was switching to a 35w system. So I'm hoping that I will be okay.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Got them in today.........

100_0989.jpg

I like to try what Sherrod did with the tint, but I like to put clear on mine as a protective layer. I'm a little afraid of it melting to the lens though.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back