Rear Caliper/Pad/Rotor. What gives? Pics.

Drkmrkiv

forum member
Reaction score
I noticed grinding from the passenger side of my '12 with brembo's about two weeks ago. No problem. Car has 50k miles on it and was still running on stock pads/rotors. I figured it was time to replace the fronts. Yesterday I replace the fronts and notice this on the passenger rear:

1374765_163285990545363_1340187971_n.jpg

1378293_163286050545357_1756448028_n.jpg

Please tell me this isn't normal wear... I've never touched the rears.

Stuck piston? Parking brake issue? Slave cylinder issue?

Daily driven. Never tracked. Rarely really even driven that hard. Mostly highway miles... No brake system upgrades.

Mods, if you feel this isn't technical enough please move to appropriate forum... I know the last thread I posted in this section about electrical issues/tuning I was flamed for putting that topic in here as some deemed it was not technical related.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
guess you didn't pull the wheel/caliper?

looks similar to a issue I had on my Shelby, the rear pad didn't wear evenly and one of the rivets was rubbing the caliper, had to replace the pads and the rotor.

the thread is fine here

NoTicket

forum member
Reaction score
In that second photo, is that the retainer clip sticking out from the caliper? Is there any pad material left?

Grinding is always a bad sign. No it is not normal wear, and there may be a chance the pads went too long without being replaced. If the caliper piston met the rotor you are probably going to have to replace the caliper. But let's hope that it is not that.

Drkmrkiv

forum member
Reaction score
Correct, wheel/pads were not touched. I took the wheel off about a month ago to inspect everything. Pads were about half worn (I put a lot of highway miles on my car - not much braking).

Yes, the clip is sticking out. It's like some external force hit it. I can't think of why it would move this much on its own.

NoTicket

forum member
Reaction score
It looks like it melted and warped to me. The grinding sound may have been been the outside edge of the caliber scraping the rotor, since the very thin material and clip look to have been somehow gotten out of there. When the piston compresses it would move the outer edge of the caliper in to press on the pad, which is no longer there, and instead grind on the rotor directly.

You need to unbolt the caliper and examine the pad and piston on the inside face of the rotor. If the piston looks ground up or damaged then you may need to replace the caliper. If it is only some part of the outside face you may be lucky and be able to get away by simply replacing the rotors and pads.

mr. anderson

forum member
Reaction score
very odd. looks like the metal shim's holding tabs failed somehow. definately take it apart and inspect the brake pads and the brake piston. if nothing looks bad there then chalk it up to a shim tab failure. FYI you will need a brake piston tool to reset the piston in to put the new rear brake pads in. ou can check out the tool free at autozone or orielly's if you have them in your area.

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Even with a shim tab failure I'm at a loss figuring out how the shim would have gotten outside the caliper, I've never seen anything like that before.

No one has ever taken those brakes apart?

-Steve

claudermilk

Reaction score
It's really bizarre. I'm not even sure how it could get like that without getting all kinds of bent up.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
My previous '11 had the same issue. Ford had to replace caliper, rotor, pad and some other stuff. Only had 5500 miles on it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back