Rear End Whine

turboph1sh

Reaction score
Hey guys I am new to this forum and have just been trolling around, brushing up my knowledge on the car.

I own a 2011 SGM 5.0 and have noticed a slight whine from what sounds like the rear end when going above 65mph that is only present when i push on the gas pedal, almost like when there is load put on it. At those speeds its noticeable with the radio off and can only be heard with the radio on if you're trying to hear it. I have only noticed this after i installed my CHE LCA's. At this point I have put the noise off as extra noise being transferred from the LCA's to my cabin.

Since reading some threads about rear ends( with similar symptoms that I have stated) being replaced I am fearing that something has gone wrong. Can you guys help me with identifying this? Is this slight whine from the rear end normal? I only noticed it after the LCA change. oh BTW the rear is a stock ford 3.55.

Thanks for the Help!

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
It's pretty much normal. My 2011 has it along with most others. And you are right about it becoming more noticeable after installing poly bushing LCA's.

turboph1sh

Reaction score
It's pretty much normal. My 2011 has it along with most others. And you are right about it becoming more noticeable after installing poly bushing LCA's.

Thanks for the reply! Phew, im glad that it seems normal... Maybe some dynamat in the trunk will help? Im doing FRPP K springs , CHE adjustable panhard and panhard brace this weekend! will post a pic thread when the weather gets a bit nicer.

surcy

Reaction score
As Info:

I had the rear end gear whine at 60 plus mph under load (around 4000 miles).

I installed a Drake aluminum rear diff. cover with the support girdle, torqued the girdle bolts to 5 ft.lbs as recommended, and changed the fluid (Ford Recommended with friction modifier). I do not hear any rear end noise now (5500 miles).

turboph1sh

Reaction score
As Info:

I had the rear end gear whine at 60 plus mph under load (around 4000 miles).

I installed a Drake aluminum rear diff. cover with the support girdle, torqued the girdle bolts to 5 ft.lbs as recommended, and changed the fluid (Ford Recommended with friction modifier). I do not hear any rear end noise now (5500 miles).

thanks for the input! I was planning on changing most of the rear end suspension parts out. Sounds like i9 should look into this... what do you think about the CHE equilalent? I have mostly CHE parts now and theyre rear end cover and girdle look very nice...

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
I knew I had a small problem in the rear end already however after adding some BMR control arms the noise because SUPER LOUD. I put the factory control arms back on today (since car is going to the dealer tomorrow) and the noise is barely noticeable but still worth getting checked out.

Just seems these stiffer bushings are much louder.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back