Rebuilt title 2005 Ford Mustang Deluxe Convertible 4.0L v6, is it a good deal?

Joshua R

Reaction score
I'm in the market to buy a convertible 4.0L v6. The 2011+ 3.7L is a little out of my budget. I dont want a GT because of how bad it is on gas. I know the v6 isn’t that great either but it’s still better.

there’s a 2005 rebuilt title for sale with 100k miles for $4200. Brand new convertible top, new paint job, new fuel pump and module, a/c works perfectly, and there are no issues with the car. The owner doesn’t know if the thermostat housing was ever replaced which is a weak point on this car.

I’m thinking about offering him $3500 or $3700. If I get it mechanically inspected and everything checks out, do you think this is a good deal?

7067E23D-341B-41DA-988B-1B1CBF0CA86D.jpeg

30342BAF-B43B-40B3-9AFB-ED366A63290B.jpeg

859B21C0-4E70-428F-AB9D-D657BD2788CE.jpeg

3CDB9203-463C-425C-8A3C-D93A4005C191.jpeg

132428ED-5C0D-4970-B4DC-71A25A55E333.jpeg

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
And asking full retail with said rebuilt title.
Not a bargain even without the title.

Ps: my 4.0 averaged 23mpg. Had calculated 25.6 once. The 5.0, 21 mpg. Best ever to date, 22.7 mpg.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
The important issue is why does it have a rebuilt title?

I'll take an educated guess and say that the car was totaled in a previous accident and rebuilt. The question is was it rebuilt properly or did the repair shop do shoddy work?
I'd have the car thoroughly inspected by a professional, especially underneath where there could be hidden issues, and haggle the price with the owner if it checks out OK. You also need to give it a proper test drive.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Rebuilt title could also mean extreme water damage or recovered theft.

There is a percentage of the repair vs vehicle value which dictates a Rebuilt title. Its the same for a Salvage title too.

I personally stay away from any vehicles with title issues or dirty CARFAX reports, but its your decision and money $$$$.

DieHarder

Reaction score
Worth it to pay someone to go thru the car/get it up on a lift and inspect it thoroughly. Why was it rebuilt? Sometimes the damage is minor; other times it's not. As JC says it's your money.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
I'll take an educated guess and say that the car was totaled in a previous accident and rebuilt. The question is was it rebuilt properly or did the repair shop do shoddy work?
I'd have the car thoroughly inspected by a professional, especially underneath where there could be hidden issues, and haggle the price with the owner if it checks out OK. You also need to give it a proper test drive.
He stated new paint job so as much as we should not assume........

thailand

forum member
Reaction score
Don't forget about the hassle of insuring it, and resell in the future...
It may not be an issue, but something to think about.

Joshua R

Reaction score
Thx for the replies everyone. The owner, who says he’s a mechanic and auto painter, doesn’t know why it has a rebuilt title but he bought it from a dealer in rough condition. He fixed everything up and is wanting to sell it. He sent me pics of the before and after. In my area in good condition with this mileage (100k) the car is worth 6k on KBB. That’s why I thought for 3500 it might be a good deal if there’s nothing wrong with it.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
Thx for the replies everyone. The owner, who says he’s a mechanic and auto painter, doesn’t know why it has a rebuilt title but he bought it from a dealer in rough condition. He fixed everything up and is wanting to sell it. He sent me pics of the before and after. In my area in good condition with this mileage (100k) the car is worth 6k on KBB. That’s why I thought for 3500 it might be a good deal if there’s nothing wrong with it.

If it’s cheap and you plan on holding onto it until it’s ready for the scrap yard I would personally consider it IF a third party inspects the car seriously. Not a basic “the tires have tread” inspection, a serious underneath it structural check.

The guy selling it may not know what led to that title but someone does. Cars aren’t just given those for being in rough shape. That said, my car shows two wrecks, one of them was a faulty hood latch we had insurance cover from a previous repair, while there was no serious damage to the car it is listed as a wreck because insurance got involved.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
If he does not know then he is hiding something. Get a Car Fax run on the vehicle and you will get your answers.

MrBhp

Reaction score
If he does not know then he is hiding something. Get a Car Fax run on the vehicle and you will get your answers.
Maybe. Previous damage does not always show up on Carfax. So you need to do both a Carfax report and a thorough third party evaluation.

20155h

Reaction score
You need to see the car before you decide to buy it. Check it out for structural fit, mechanically and electronically. It is assumed the car was in an accident or maybe a flood. You may never find out. My take is does the car look good. Does it work/function without any issues? Any weird noises? Is it what you really want? How much more money are you willing to put into it if there are issues later on?

I have never owned a rebuilt "title" car so I don't know what the hassles are to get the car properly titled.

All in all, what's the difference between an old restored vehicle and a rebuilt car? The title? How it was rebuilt? Feels like I am rambling on but these are thoughts that crossed my mind as I read your post and the replies.

Price wise? It’s always a risk on any car you buy.

Good luck.

brford

Reaction score
I own a 2006 GT convertible with 100K miles that I bought with a salvage title at Copart. It had been hit in the right drivers side and I paid to have the frame put on a rack to check if it was straight (it was). I also paid to have the radiator support replaced. I then replaced the nose, the hood, and the drivers front quarter panel. I serviced the engine (cleaned all over, replaced the battery, lights, filters, thermostat and fuses) and replaced rotors and brake pads all around. I'm a hobbyist and I'm ito this car maybe $4500-4900 now.

There was been no problem getting the Florida salvage title and plates. The car was inspected by FDOT and passed. There was no problem getting insurance.

At 108K I did replace and upgrade the front suspension and all the bushings. That was a bear. The passenger side coil and sway connectors came off with normal effort. The drivers side did not. I was busy and trusted the car to my great and honest mechanic who is a life long Mustang enthusiast. Everything on the drivers side was frozen; likely due to the hit. Again, my guy is great and with maybe 3-4 times the normal effort and time he got it done. The car now drives like a brand new 2006 Mustang.

This car is my summer time beach car and not a daily driver. I did a lot of travel to find color matching used body parts. I used remanufactured and used parts throughout. My advice would be to have your mechanic check the bushings and suspension bolts.

dhrmx5

Reaction score
Have been doing rebuilds of salvage cars for 40+ years. Never any issue with titling or insurance. Hundreds of cars. Family all drives them. I used to buy from the dealer auctions but quickly realized I was better off buying salvage cars that were obviously running when they arrived at the scene of the accident then those dealer rejects. If you are in the NW there is a very nice looking 2012 with a trans issue that might be worth owning. Clean title/105K miles/asking 4500. On FB

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
It's a small point and not sure what to call the parts. Looking at the new convertible top. I have a 2008 Deluxe convertible. Yours looks like an animal that's been starved and the ribs are showing. The ribs on mine don't stick out like that. Incorrect or cheap top?

Joshua R

Reaction score
Alright. I got a new one for you guys. 2005 Ford Mustang V6 Convertible rebuilt title with 125k miles. I ran the vin and it’s been in 2 very minor accidents and a third that the insurance considered a total loss because of damage to the fender. The owner says everything works perfect and it’s been maintained well. The asking price is $4900 but I’m thinking of offering $3500 because of the accidents. What do you think?

964E20A2-5048-4F77-A468-83E2364D07EA.png

13D9D289-2FF4-4408-A968-92253C447968.png

AA4EC01E-1930-4E13-A2F1-8359E509875D.png

61A41C5D-3663-4F29-8FD4-4696EAFBEACD.png

13F051F8-EE93-4F2B-AD66-7D6E128EDA70.png

tirefriar

Reaction score
The gaps on the passenger front around the fender and bumper look off. In fact the right fender appears misaligned from looking at the last photo. Definitely inspect front inner structure (right apron, radiator support, etc.) for damages. The misalignment seen could be a sign of a structural dame to the right front no repaired properly not allowing the fender to align properly.

In most cases people who buy salvaged cars to repair and flip usually try to get away on the cheap. Proper repairs tend to eat up a significant portion of the profit and put their investment in close proximity of a similar clean title vehicle.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back