Registered for my First SCCA event, coming up this weekend.

NDSP

forum member
Reaction score
So, I am finally going to give this turning thing a try. It sure looks like fun, and aside from the rules being not so favorable for us S197 fellows, this is my first go I'm just looking to have some fun. I do have a couple questions though.

1. When registering I was required to "pick" a class, well of course I was drawig a blank because I knew STX was out, (I'm completely stock 2006 currently) which also put street modified/prepared or whatever out. So I looked the the "classes" they had a saw Ford Mustang in F Stock. It sounded familiar so I clicked that. Not long after I finished registering my mined cleared and I remembered. Oh crap F Stock allows R compound. What the hell did I just do, lol. Anyway is there a way to "change" classes during tech. And if so what class should I try and run in.
  2. I got some FFRP K springs sitting in the garage, would it benefit me to put them on before the event if I don't have time to get an alignment?
  3. One thing that concerns me is how to read the cones, I know I'll get to walk the course, but is there a 'key' that tells you "which side of the cones to go on when the are positioned like this" kind of thing?

The event is this weekend at TMS ( DFW area ) if anybody else is going to be there I'd love to meet some other local guys. I'll be in the bone stock '06 Vista blue Mustang walking around lost in the Novice group.

Thanks,
James

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
So, I am finally going to give this turning thing a try. It sure looks like fun, and aside from the rules being not so favorable for us S197 fellows, this is my first go I'm just looking to have some fun. I do have a couple questions though.

1. When registering I was required to "pick" a class, well of course I was drawig a blank because I knew STX was out, (I'm completely stock 2006 currently) which also put street modified/prepared or whatever out. So I looked the the "classes" they had a saw Ford Mustang in F Stock. It sounded familiar so I clicked that. Not long after I finished registering my mined cleared and I remembered. Oh crap F Stock allows R compound. What the hell did I just do, lol. Anyway is there a way to "change" classes during tech. And if so what class should I try and run in.
Yep, that's likely the best class for ya. You can change the class at registration, usually the first hour or so before the event starts. If your SCCA region has a "street" class, or recognizes the new "Road Tire" classes then try those.

Sometimes local SCCA clubs will have a class just for people like you - who don't have R-compounds or a fully prepped StreetTouring set-up. In those cases they combines these racers in a class with street tires and multiplies your time by a factor (PAX factor), so you might run "F Stock Street". Or if the recognize the new provisional Road Tire classes, just run "RTR". They might even have a Novice class, which is the best place for a newbie to run. Just ask them at registration and I'm sure they will be glad to help guide you into the best class.

Don't worry so much about winning, of course, just go out there and get some seat time. If your region allows RIDERS then by all means, try to get as many rides in experienced racers' cars. This sport includes LOTS of unique skills that you won't know and cannot teach yourself. Some regions are good about putting instructors into Novice driver's cars, too. An experienced set of eyes in the right seat are ALWAYS a good thing.

1. I got some FFRP K springs sitting in the garage, would it benefit me to put them on before the event if I don't have time to get an alignment?

Nah, that will just push you out of any "Stock" or "RT" class legality. Just air up your tires to try to dial out as much understeer as you can - maybe try 45 psi front, 30 psi rear - and go for it. Pull out your spare tire, front floor mats (they can get stuck under pedals) and loose junk from your car. If you can find an Snell rated M2005 or SA2005 or newer helmet, beg/borrow/steal one and take it with you. Otherwise they should have loaner helmets you can use at the event.

Worry about modifying your car later... there are several good threads on this forum about what to do and why, and how it affects your classing.

3. One thing that concerns me is how to read the cones, I know I'll get to walk the course, but is there a 'key' that tells you "which side of the cones to go on when the are positioned like this" kind of thing?

The event is this weekend at TMS ( DFW area ) if anybody else is going to be there I'd love to meet some other local guys. I'll be in the bone stock '06 Vista blue Mustang walking around lost in the Novice group.

Thanks,
James
Oh snap... that is my SCCA region! The June 23rd event? Crap... I'm going to be racing with NASA in Oklahoma this weekend or I'd give you a hand. I was at the last regional and will likely make the July event. But no worries, our region kicks much ass and will help you out. I'll even tell you who to talk to. :)

DSC_8034-M.jpg

First, mention you are new to the sport when you get there, and ask them to put you in the NOVICE class. That's your best classing. The F Stock you signed up for will still be used for the PAX factor. Again - don't worry too much about your times.

Our region has a GREAT Novice program, and they will have a separate meeting and course walk instruction just for Novice drivers. And they will pair you up with an instructor and even help you find ride-alongs in run groups you aren't racing or course working. Just ask for some help at registration. They are all nice.

419037_10200606170728952_81591753_n.jpg

Also, look for my friend Jason McCall. He's going to be in a red/white/blue Corvette with giant tires and a loud motor. I'll give him a heads up to be on the lookout for you. TAKE A RIDE IN HIS CAR, it will change your life. ;) He's a great driver, and this car is FAST. He can give you some pointers, and just experiencing a ride in a fast car with 335mm Hoosier A6 tires is a HUGE amount of fun.

DSC_8291-M.jpg

Good luck, and if you make the next event come look for me. I'll be in the obnoxious red Mustang and usually announcing on the PA for one run group. My wife and I both take riders on almost every run, and all you have to do is ask. Most of the racers in our region are helpful and will give you a ride.

edit: Go and find our SCCA region's Facebook page and introduce yourself there. You can ask for rides before the event and will likely get tons of offers. https://www.facebook.com/texasregion.solo

Cheers,

Last edited:

NDSP

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks Terry, the event is this weekend the 23rd. The 29th is the Five Star Ford track day at eagle canyon. Which I'm also considering going to. So you won't be at the Eagle Canyon on the 29th? I was going see about some instruction time from you that weekend. I'll have to catch you another time, then.

NDSP

forum member
Reaction score
Also, one other stupid question. I seems like, when watching most videos of autocross runs, that they are all completed in 2nd gear for the whole run aside from the start. I get the impression that the clutch never gets engaged again during the run after second gear is pulled. Is that observation correct? Braking and acceleration from that point on without using the clutch.

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score
Since this is your very first event, keep your eyes and ears open. Take an instructor out with you every time if you can or even get a ride along if the region allows it. These cars have plenty of power so second gear is as far as you will ever go. Autocross is supposed to be no more then high way speed (65 mph) so off the line you'll go first-second and be done. I will be upfront with you and say, you will be completely lost and it is ok; we all where our first time out. Don't even concern yourself with a class or modification, it is not worth you time because you'll be so overwhelmed with figuring out which way to look, where to be for your work assignment, how to drive, "look at what that guy is driving" that a class should be your last thought.

Bottom line, get there early, ask questions and just have fun! Bring water, comfortable sneakers, a hat, sunglasses, sunblock and lunch.

Let us know how it all goes.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Terry, the event is this weekend the 23rd. The 29th is the Five Star Ford track day at eagle canyon. Which I'm also considering going to. So you won't be at the Eagle Canyon on the 29th? I was going see about some instruction time from you that weekend. I'll have to catch you another time, then.

Yep, I got my dates messed up. The SCCA event is this weekend... as is the NASA event. But I will be at the ECR event on June 29th with both my 2011 and 2013 Mustangs. I can probably ride along to instruct with you, and if I get permission from the head instructor I might be able to give you a ride along? We can ask.

Also, one other stupid question. I seems like, when watching most videos of autocross runs, that they are all completed in 2nd gear for the whole run aside from the start. I get the impression that the clutch never gets engaged again during the run after second gear is pulled. Is that observation correct? Braking and acceleration from that point on without using the clutch.
Yes, almost 99% of autocrossing is done in 2nd gear. I've never had to use 3rd gear in my 3.31 geared '11 GT in an autocross. I also try to get out of first gear as quickly as possible and get into 2nd. That way you are not having to up/downshift once you get going, and you can keep BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL at 3 and 9 o'clock (I always catch students and newbies with one hand on the shifter).

That video above is from a Texas Region SCCA event... at TMS bus lot 4 weeks ago. Me driving our 2011 Mustang. So you can see the typical course layout from there, and how it will look in a similar Mustang.

20130519_E3_TMS-M.jpg

That's the course map from that event, and you can see where grid is located. The pits/paddock area is across the street in another parking lot, but it is only a 60 second walk away.

If you see 3rd gear I would be amazed... just count on 2nd gear being the norm. As you can see in my in-car video, I get the hell out of first gear quickly, as it will fry the rear tires if you use it much (even with 315mm Hoosier A6s).

Good luck this weekend. Maybe we'll see you at ECR on the 29th! Here's the sign up page for that: https://www.facebook.com/events/401948666585531/

Cheers,

Last edited:

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Here's the course for this weekend's event you are registered for...

20130623_E4_TMS.jpg

Cheers,

white86hatch

forum member
Reaction score

2. I got some FFRP K springs sitting in the garage, would it benefit me to put them on before the event if I don't have time to get an alignment?

Thanks,
James

You're in the exact same spot I was 4 weeks ago. F Stock novice is what they'll likely group you in. If its like last time there weren't many in that class so don't worry about getting beat by R tired cars.

Terry is a good guy to listen to. I met him out at the event he was referring to 4 weeks ago. He gave great advice and was fun to watch drive.

There's a good chance I'll be out there Sunday running in STX since I'm impatient and lowered my car lol. If you see my car come find me!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 13

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back