Remote/rear mount turbo vs. front mount

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I guess I should start by saying my car will be fully "deleted" by the time I'm ready to fab, basically just have the PS delete to go at this point.

AC
Power Steering
Evap System
ABS
Battery relocated to trunk

So none of that is a factor in plumbing or retaining function.

My two thoughts for turbo placement are:

Rear mount, in place of where the gas tank would be from the factory, I'm going fuel cell no matter what. I am willing to cut out the rear floor and make a box to allow more room. I would have it draw air through the quarter window by using a scoop or window delete panel modified to work. Prolly air to water intercooler, not sure where to place it, maybe in the factory battery location.
My only fear with the rear mount is it being a "max effort" build and not seeing them used in that fashion.
I like that it puts the bulk of the system's weight over the rear tires and not on the nose, of course the coolness factor plays a roll too.

My though for front placement was to have the turbo where the factory battery location was, I haven't been crazy about the pumping nightmare I have seen passed off as a turbo system on these cars mounting the turbo in front of the engine, I have a buddy with a modified On3 system and it's a constant issue for him banging the ground at points in the piping.

I really want the rear mount to work, i just feel like through the reading I've done it's not conducive to "max effort".

I picked up a copy of "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell, I'm hoping it touches on the dynamics of a remote turbo. Just been too busy working to read it yet.

Last edited:

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you just put forward facing headers on from someone like CG fabrication and build the traditional system? No piping issues, less weight, no cutting up interior. Make everything V band. You can as big a turbo you want. Just saying...

I'm not knocking the remote too much, it's just that they are not done on max effort builds for good reasons.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Since max effort usually just dump out the bumper or hood and with everything you have deleted, less weight and complexity to keep the turbo up front.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
The car needs to be able to do drag week at some point, I'm not crazy about dumping it out one of the sides like a track car unless the turbo is actually enough of "muffler" when installed that close to the engine in order to live with the exhaust and not constantly get pulled over.

It does seem like the remote turbo is a bust though, I suppose at some point I'll have to concede that.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not really sure if this is an apples to apples comparison, but a few years ago I knew a guy making a max effort AIX car. Wide body, full cage that required the roof to be cut off and rewelded on, etc. He ran a remote turbo set up on that car. They were around the back seat and used the sccops on the sides for intakes. I remember the power was somewhere in the 700's with worked over 2V. I lost touch with him after his divorce, so I'm not sure what ultimately happened with the car. But I remember it was never lacking for power.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I'm not really sure if this is an apples to apples comparison, but a few years ago I knew a guy making a max effort AIX car. Wide body, full cage that required the roof to be cut off and rewelded on, etc. He ran a remote turbo set up on that car. They were around the back seat and used the sccops on the sides for intakes. I remember the power was somewhere in the 700's with worked over 2V. I lost touch with him after his divorce, so I'm not sure what ultimately happened with the car. But I remember it was never lacking for power.

700 seems to be the limit of what i've found the remote crowd making, at least with a mod motor. I know thermodynamics plays a role with efficiency after point too...

roberts

forum member
Reaction score
Cg kit I know someone who is selling one. And I have the kit and love the cg kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back