Removed my plugs how to the old ones look??

GTSpecial

forum member
Reaction score
Well I finally got around to swapping out my OEM plugs and luckily did not have to use the tool Taxman lent me. Took about 1 1/2 hours taking my sweet time. I went taking pictures of the old plugs as I went to get some input on what you think about the condition. Some came out relatively clean while one looked as if it has rusted in the head. Take a look..

1_zpsc08d7e0c.jpg
2_zpsa036fe05.jpg

3_zpse8761d71.jpg

4_zps029072e0.jpg

5_zps0710a993.jpg

6_zps79fd48fa.jpg

7_zps99156caf.jpg

Sorrry for the quality of the phone pictures. Anyones plugs look similar to these when you took them out and is this normal for the 3v's?

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
That's probably penetrating oil residue from getting them out.................at least I hope. LOL

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Hard to tell from the pics. Anything that has ever spilled on the valve cover has a risk of being on the plugs when you remove them. I've learned to really focus on how the actual tip looks (can't see well in the pics) vs the junk on the body of the plug.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

GTSpecial

forum member
Reaction score
some of them appear to be covered in oil, does the car smoke? burn oil?

The car does not burn or smoke but the plugs did look like they were covered with oil. Some much worse than other. Some like the first picture had heavy oil buildup. Would an oil catch can help remedy this or is there a bigger issue here?

OneQwkStang

Improving the Breed
Reaction score
Did you spray the plugs a lot with penetrating oil? If not the plugs should not look that oily at all.

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
Is the car running well? I'd do a compression check with the look of some of those plugs, might be nothing but I'd check regardless

GTSpecial

forum member
Reaction score
Did you spray the plugs a lot with penetrating oil? If not the plugs should not look that oily at all.

I sprayed maybe a teaspoon full as per the tsb. Hardly used any at all.

Is the car running well? I'd do a compression check with the look of some of those plugs, might be nothing but I'd check regardless

I went to turn on the car today and was idling rough after the plug change. I checked and rechecked everything and was unable to remedy the rough feel. I broke down and bought another set of HT1's and removed the original set to find them with the same oil residue. It really only affects the plugs closer to the radiator. The further towards the firewall the less residue.

After putting in the new plugs the rough idle and stumbling went away. Weird to say the least.

OneQwkStang

Improving the Breed
Reaction score
So you changed the plugs and pulled the new plugs again to find them coated in oil again? Not good something is wrong and you should look into it..

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
This is not good. If the Oil residue came back that quickly there is something else going on. Seriously consider doing a compression test to verify numbers in all cylinders.

GTSpecial

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys. I will try and rent the compression tester tomorrow and see how that goes.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Just to be clear on the sequence of events I'm going to ask some stupid questions.

What brand were the second set of plugs? Did you spray penetrating oil before removing the second set? Was anything put on the tips or threads of the second set? What value did you torque them to?

GTSpecial

forum member
Reaction score
Just to be clear on the sequence of events I'm going to ask some stupid questions.

What brand were the second set of plugs? Did you spray penetrating oil before removing the second set? Was anything put on the tips or threads of the second set? What value did you torque them to?

Second set of plugs are the same as the first replacement set Autolite HT1's. No penetrating oil was used after the original plugs were removed so no. The second set had some nickel anti seize but not on the tips or threads. I hand tightened them so I am not sure. I will bring out the torque wrench today after I do the compression test.

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
you may have cracked a porcelin, youll get those symptoms if you did, well the rough idle but not the oil, thats another concern all together

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back