removed sway bar causing air turbulance

bunits19714

forum member
Reaction score
So like most modders this spring I changed a lot of things on the car at the same time- added new headers, orh, 5c converter, new sve drag wheels, upper control arm rear lowering springs and adj solid pan hard bar and removed the front sway bar and added bmr lightweight radiator support.

Well since then I have noticed what I thought was vibration at around 65 ish mph, thought it was the cheaper wheels and tires, had them re balance and this removed some vibrations but still notice something going on, so switched back to stock wheels and tires that had dr on the rear, better but still not right- So getting to the point I was getting ready to pull the 1 pc driveshaft and re-install stock 2 pc to take this variable out while driving a lil further than normal on the eway then I guess I normally due. My buddy pointed out that it sound like wind not just a vibration -, hood shakes,( real bad at 117 at the dragstrip) so I kept my speed at 63 where you really start noticing it and dropped it into sport mode and down shifter to 5th nothing , then 4th and nothing - accelerated to 67 and it started to vibrate and shake and stayed the same at the same speed as I up shifted to lower engine rpm. Point being when we switched the front sway bar assembly / rad. support we left a plastic under car plastic pc off which I am assuming is causing this wind turbulence- has any one else noticed this- been so long since I have taking it off car, cant remember the reason we left it off but I think there was now where to reattach it. I think this is the cover you have to drop the change the oil. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated - and sorry for the dam novel in explaining my question.

bunits19714

forum member
Reaction score
Well re install the brace and lower plastic steering rack guard that my buddy didn't want to when we swapped out front sway bar 4 months ago- man drives like a new car over 65 again - who would of thought that air turbulence would of caused some much grief at just 65 + mph- . glad I didn't pull the drive shaft -

DieHarder

Reaction score
Well re install the brace and lower plastic steering rack guard that my buddy didn't want to when we swapped out front sway bar 4 months ago- man drives like a new car over 65 again - who would of thought that air turbulence would of caused some much grief at just 65 + mph- . glad I didn't pull the drive shaft -
Ran across the same thing with my son's. Previously had changed the front end to a Roush setup. Hood buffeting at above 65 was terrible. Added a lower plastic piece from a later model w/vent holes to pull air out of the engine area. Found one and installed it. It just about completely stopped hood buffeting at 65 and above.

lwarrior1016

Reaction score
Ran across the same thing with my son's. Previously had changed the front end to a Roush setup. Hood buffeting at above 65 was terrible. Added a lower plastic piece from a later model w/vent holes to pull air out of the engine area. Found one and installed it. It just about completely stopped hood buffeting at 65 and above.
Do you have any pictures of what you did?

DieHarder

Reaction score
Not any more. Sold the car. All you need is the lower engine plastic piece/cover. Think I used one from a 2012 if I remember correctly. It has louvers in it and bolts right up to stock locations. If I can find it again I'll post it.

DieHarder

Reaction score
Believe it's this one though I don't remember paying that much but it's been a few years. After looking at it again it may require some modification but I don't remember having to do anything drastic other than find the right size bolts and install it. Only thing that's a hassle is having to unbolt it to do an oil change.

Same thing - $135. about what I paid for it if I remember correctly: https://www.getallparts.com/Ford-Mu...ercar-shield-fo1228166.aspx?VariantID=1916566 or

GriffX

Reaction score
There are 2 different versions of this splash shield. One with a metal support bracket and one without. AFAIK only the one without (2011-12?) can be bolt on to the older K-member.

PS: I think they used it from the facelift on, so must be 2010+ and changed it for the 2nd facelift.

Last edited:

DieHarder

Reaction score
There are 2 different versions of this splash shield. One with a metal support bracket and one without. AFAIK only the one without (2011-12?) can be bolt on to the older K-member.

I used the one without the metal support bracket and added it to the rear of the normal splash guard as shown in the link above. I believe the 2010 version is the correct one. Looks like you can still get them from Tasca. Says they have 8 in stock.

Thanks Yote0 for the research. :snoopy

Last edited:

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Do you have any pictures of what you did?

I know the question wasn't directed to me but I have your answer (Ford part no. AR3Z-6C038A) on this page of my site (plus more drag reduction mods to inspire you):

Good luck finding one 'cause they seem to have been discontinued. You're best bet would be either checking the junkyards or fabricating your own.

lwarrior1016

Reaction score
I know the question wasn't directed to me but I have your answer (Ford part no. AR3Z-6C038A) on this page of my site (plus more drag reduction mods to inspire you):

Good luck finding one 'cause they seem to have been discontinued. You're best bet would be either checking the junkyards or fabricating your own.
Thank you for that. The fella a couple posts up linked your page already, I didn’t know it was yours though, so thank you.

I’m guessing mine got ripped off at some point because it is not there. I’ll have to do something.

DieHarder

Reaction score
Thank you for that. The fella a couple posts up linked your page already, I didn’t know it was yours though, so thank you.

I’m guessing mine got ripped off at some point because it is not there. I’ll have to do something.

See Post #9 above.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Haha, I just lost that little belly pan hitting some debris on the freeway at like 80. I haven't gone under there to check out what else might be fubar but I think I will have to rewire my AF gauge to the sensor as that isn't working either. Haven't notice any hood flutter but I have hood pins at the front corners.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back