Removing belts

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
Isn't there just one belt on the car. I'm not looking at mine right now, but if it's the main serpentine there is an idler pulley down low.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
A/C is on it's own dedicated belt. It does not have a tensioner. Best way to remove is to cut it off. I believe Ford has a special installation tool that is used to install a new belt.

JJ@WMS

forum member
Reaction score
If your good you can roll the A/C belt on and off, just takes a bit of patience.

JJ

mpf

forum member
Reaction score
it's quite a pain in the ass to say the least.. there's no tensioner for the AC belt and the service manual calls to cutting and discarding the belt on the 5.0L engine if you need to replace it!!

Damn, sounds like an imported car's engineering... What I want to know is how to get one back ON!!

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of lol. What a stupid design.

But it's an EXCELLENT design for when you go F/I!!

I've used that VW trick on my boat twice out on the lake. It works better than you would think and is easy to do. Just be careful to not put too much of the screwdriver shaft into the process or you'll flip the belt right behind the pulley.

Twinscrewgt

Bad Smurf
Reaction score
No. Still a shit design for FI LOL. Having to pay ford to install an ac belt is rediculous. Guess I'll have to figure something out.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
No. Still a shit design for FI LOL. Having to pay ford to install an ac belt is rediculous. Guess I'll have to figure something out.

I agree it's a PITA, but when you can run a super charger off that instead of having to go to the crank, it's a great design. It just sucks for people like you and I who like to do our own work.

Why in the world do you need to replace it anyway? Being so new, I would imagine Ford would do it for free. It certainly can't be worn out this soon.

G.T

Reaction score
Damn, sounds like an imported car's engineering... What I want to know is how to get one back ON!!

you kinda need to force it over the pulley with the aid of a wedge of sorts.. check the link i posted, it has some illustrations explaining the procedure

Twinscrewgt

Bad Smurf
Reaction score
I agree it's a PITA, but when you can run a super charger off that instead of having to go to the crank, it's a great design. It just sucks for people like you and I who like to do our own work.

Why in the world do you need to replace it anyway? Being so new, I would imagine Ford would do it for free. It certainly can't be worn out this soon.

I have to change to the ati damper for my 12 rib setuP

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
For those that care, the 5th gen Camaro has a similar setup. Cut belt off and use a special tool to install replacement. Not just a Ford thing.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
The Ford manual shows a strap to remove the belt, and then a big zip tie to install it. Pretty rediculous if you ask me. I'll bet after doing a couple of them you'd get pretty good at it.

Twinscrewgt

Bad Smurf
Reaction score
As long as you dont go 12 rib youll be fine haha... What a horrible design... simple as that... Oh well... got it taken care of!

G.T

Reaction score
The Ford manual shows a strap to remove the belt, and then a big zip tie to install it. Pretty rediculous if you ask me. I'll bet after doing a couple of them you'd get pretty good at it.

the strap is only used for the V6 engines.
the 5.0 requires you to cut the belt.. the manual actually calls for it

Twinscrewgt

Bad Smurf
Reaction score
the strap is only used for the V6 engines.
the 5.0 requires you to cut the belt.. the manual actually calls for it

ya, I was able to get the belt to come off, and got it re installed... Not an easy task, or a one man job lol

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back