Removing Cigarette Smell From Interior

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
All you detailing buffs, I need your assistance... I just picked up a used Stang and the dealership did a great job of masking the cigarette smell before I bought it. Now that it is in mine, every day it smells worse and worse. I have to leave the windows open at night or I can't stand to drive it the next morning (ex-smoker so yes I HATE cigarette smell - gives me migraines). So what do any of you recommend to get the smell out, permanently? I really need your help!!!

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Thanks, I have an appointment to have the entire car detailed but that is 3 weeks out. I have been googling like mad and may try coffee... seems to be a miracle short term fix. I figure I will need to use some sort of bomb after the car is cleaned but need something to get me by. Will check out these options.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Think about ripping the headliner out and replacing. The cig smoke rises and saturates it.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
Rent an ozone generator. They are terrific I used one to get the smell out of an apartment. Ran it 6 hours a day for a week and you could not smell the cigarette smoke again

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
coffee wont get rid of it, it just masks it. hospitals use it to cover the shit/piss/vomit stench of bums by placing piles of it in their rooms. i believe it has to ground coffee

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
Think about ripping the headliner out and replacing. The cig smoke rises and saturates it.

This...the headliner catches a LOT of smoke in the car.

Back when I used to smoke (about 2 packs a day), about once a week I would hit the head liner with fabreeze for this very reason. This was in an all cloth interior. Then once a month I would shampoo the carpets and scrub the front and back seats.

Also, on sunny days I would leave the windows open to let the car air out.

When I sold the car I told the guy I smoked and he was surprised at how well the car smelled.

slowlyrolling

Shifting
Reaction score
The interior is caked with tar OP. you gotta shampoo everything, scrub everything, replace headliner as well.

I'd be pissed and I'd go to the dealer and make them fix it.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Thanks guys, unfortunately the dealership is 8.5 hours away... I droved from Omaha to Racine, WI to go pick it up. Not going to spend another day in the car driving to have them mask it again. I will detail the crap out of it and hope for the best, if all else fails I will replace the headliner.

KillrStang

Texas Grown
Reaction score
I got the smell out of my truck over the course of 2 weeks, by putting bounce dryer sheet under your seat and change them every couple days.

Weou09

forum member
Reaction score
Your going to laugh when I tell you this but it works. Cut an apple in half and put it in your car over night. The smoke smell will be gone. My mom told me that secret a long time ago. One of the track hoe operators tried it at work and he said that it was completely gone the next day.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
You need to find a steam cleaner. You can use steam to pull out the smoke odors from the headliner, seats, carpet etc.

NotaHybrid

I'm slow
Reaction score
Might want to change out your cabin air filter as well for your air conditioning.

Sent from my helicopter

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Just do this and you'll never notice it!!

1366838790_zps4242f641.jpg

:lol2:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back