Removing old wax

gmantheman

forum member
Reaction score
I think it is time to remove the old wax from my car. I have read that diswashing soap is good for this, but the problem is I live in a Condo and can't wash my car in my parking space. I have to use the coin operated systems. Any suggestions? Thanks.

slicksilver

forum member
Reaction score
You need to use a special wax stripping solution which looks alot like wax. You may not be able to find this at a local store, so check online. Try Pinnacle products or other professional products. After stripping the wax, finish up by claying the surface. Before you re-apply a new coat of wax, be sure to polish the surface with a orbital polisher with the proper compound and pad. This will require you to tape up all un-painted surfaces on the vehicle. You may want to consult someone who has done this before if you are new at it.

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think it is time to remove the old wax from my car. I have read that diswashing soap is good for this, but the problem is I live in a Condo and can't wash my car in my parking space. I have to use the coin operated systems. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Take a bucket of hot soapy (dawn dishwashing liquid) water in with you. I do it all the time. Just do it in off peak hours. When I do it I use Meguirres "safe" car soap that leaves the wax on though.

gmantheman

forum member
Reaction score
I had thought of brining the bucket with some dawn. A good time to go would be very early in the morning.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I had thought of brining the bucket with some dawn. A good time to go would be very early in the morning.
I think dawn comes early every morning anyway... so you don't need to bring a bucket of it.

:laughlots:

MTAS

Flesh is the Law
Reaction score
Yes a good strong solution of Dawn dish soap will remove any trace of wax/oils from the clear coat. It will not harm the clear coat mind you, just remember that once you use Dawn on it, the finish is unprotected so make sure you're able to get something on there asap. The key to a great shine is in the prep work, not necessarily the wax/polymer you put on as a final coat. My personal regiment is to clay the car while I'm washing it with Dawn dish soap, to kill 2 birds with one stone. Then when I'm done, I dry it and it's ready to be hit with the Porter Cable and some Meguiar's Swirl Mark Remover.

Last edited:

gmantheman

forum member
Reaction score
Tonight I went to the car wash and I took my bucket with a few squirts of dawn. After washing the car I waxed with Zymoil. I didn't use an orbital buffer. I just used a car wax pad (not sure what they are called). Because I clay bared the car about 5-6 months ago, I didn't think I needed to do it again. I think overall it came out good.

_M_

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
just for the future you can also use a mix of IPA (isopropyl alcohol) mixed with water at a 1:1 ratio. or any paint cleaner will remove the wax as well.

lets see some pics

gmantheman

forum member
Reaction score
I should have taken a pic after I washed and waxed. I will wash the car again this weekend and I will try to remember to take some pics.

ixtlan

Reaction score
Simple Green mixed with hot water. 1pt SG to 5pt Hot water.
Wash car and leave on for 5 min and rinse.

_M_

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My car gets washed a couple times a week... should I post pics? :evil:

i think everyone on every forum knows what your car looks like...unless you wanna post that pic of the 2 girls standing in front of your car showing off their derriere's :moon2:

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
normal_100_1683.JPG

normal_100_1684.JPG

Royb

forum member
Reaction score

wax evaporates over time so there's no need to remove it unless you have it caked on like icing and can see it or if you plan to paint the car then you will need to remove it & dawn works well.

gmantheman

forum member
Reaction score
wax evaporates over time so there's no need to remove it unless you have it caked on like icing and can see it or if you plan to paint the car then you will need to remove it & dawn works well.
Thanks for info. I assumed that cars like floors develop wax build up over time.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back