Replace clutch/flywheel, now lots of extra power, was i in limp mode before?

NDSP

forum member
Reaction score
I feel like a dumbass asking this, but here it goes. I chunked a spring out of my clutch plate autocrossing a few weeks ago and end up replacing the clutch and flywheel with the excedy 500 clutch and light weight flywheel. After I got it installed and the car running again, I noticed it seemed peppier. So I did a few test runs from a stop and it lit up the tires in 1st,2nd, and first part of 3rd. Prior to this my car wouldn't do that at all. I test drove a 2012 a few years back that did this and was pleasantly surprised, but when I got mine it didn't do that. I attributed it to that fact that mine had wider and stickier tires. Both the test drive car any my car have a CAI and axle back and where both Track Pack cars. Anyway, I really don't think a light weight flywheel would make that big of a difference, which leaves me wondering. Has my car been in limp mode ( is there such a thing ) this whole time and got "reset" when I disconnected the battery during the clutch install. It didn't have any codes or anything? So what gives?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
there is a limp mode, but when that happens it should throw a CEL/wrench and indicate such.

probably more the fact that the adaptive learning got cleared in the ECU

as far are the difference in the Track pack cars vs. yours, what gears in those vs. yours?

the FW will help some in letting the engine rev

NDSP

forum member
Reaction score
Mine is a track pack also. 3.73's. It just seems so weird that I went from not frying the tires to frying the tires with nothing more that a lighter flywheel and a battery disconnect/reconnect. It is 8 lbs lighter and most of the lightening is on the outer part of the flywheel. I can see freer revving, but it pulls so much harder now. I'm at a loss, but I'm not complaining. Makes me wonder what my lap times could of been, if it hadn't been so down on power.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
You will notice a little bit in the seat dyno but as Dave mentioned it was most likely the computer... I have noticed my car runs harder for awhile after reloading the tune or disconnecting the battery.

GrabberBlue5.0

Gold Member
Reaction score
Maybe your new clutch is grabbing better, stock clutch was slipping?

Mine feels like it hits hard sometimes and feels like mush other times with 62k on my stock clutch

Morris

forum member
Reaction score
If you couldn't light up the tires in first with 3.73's then something was wrong with your car.

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
To me it sounds like your clutch was slipping before and now it isn't. Did you buy the car used? Perhaps the previous owner wore the hell out of the clutch.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I gotta believe that he would have noticed the clutch slipping

GrabberBlue5.0

Gold Member
Reaction score

With my stock mt-82 clutch it's kinda hard to tell. It seems like it slips just enough to prevent the tires from breaking loose but not so much that the rpms climb while the speed stays the same

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
/\ that sounds more like the computer nannies

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score

I hear you, but you never know with some people. I am judging solely by reading the facts in the OP's post... Car down on power (or so it seems), change out clutch/disc battery, now car is up on power.

Either the clutch was slipping before and now it isn't resulting in more power transferred to the ground or disc/reconnecting the battery was the fix. I have a hard time believing that a simple battery disconnect resulted in - no tire spin at all -> tire spin in 1,2, and 3.

GrabberBlue5.0

Gold Member
Reaction score
/\ that sounds more like the computer nannies

Maybe, but at 62000 miles on my stock clutch even with the tc/sc fully off it will still do this

I can easily blast the tires when I want to, but if I slowly roll into the throttle sometimes the tires will begin to break loose and other times this potential "clutch slip" occurs.

NDSP

forum member
Reaction score
I've had slipping clutches before, I really don't think it was that. The car does have a CAI and axle back. I don't know if it had a boxed tune or not. One of the things on the list is a custom tune, once suspension is done and long tubes with catted H are added.

it has 34K miles, just for the record. The stock clutch plate lost a spring when I banged the rev limiter in second gear auto crossing.

Last edited:

NDSP

forum member
Reaction score
That clutch protection sounds like some serious nanny ware, but I guess I can understand it in a warranty protecting kind of way. My clutch that came out aside from the missing spring still looked good as did the flywheel.

sh4rkbayte

forum member
Reaction score
Has anyone figured out how to disable clutch protection with SCT? Or do you have to have the tuner do it? Can I just copy/paste the tune file on a PC and change that one parameter and reload the tune?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back