Research time....clutches!

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Ok folks, what brand clutch seems to be the best right now for high hp applications yet keeps a factory pedal? I've had plenty of centerforce clutches, but I know there are alot more brands out there now days. Mine is toast and I have to get one in the next couple months.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just got a Spec 3+ last week. I have maybe 80 miles on it so far. the pedal is very stock like. the grab on it is very quick but you can feather it if your (me anyway) very deliberate with it. I'm sure it'll get easier with some more seat time.

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Clutches

Ok folks, what brand clutch seems to be the best right now for high hp applications yet keeps a factory pedal? I've had plenty of centerforce clutches, but I know there are alot more brands out there now days. Mine is toast and I have to get one in the next couple months.

I would suggest Exedy twin disc,very good cintered iron face,tough as hell,pedal is a little heavier than stock,good engagement & no chatter.500 + HP no problem.I put 200 passes on mine last year & 15000 miles.No problem,no slipage at all,just beat on it all day like a teenager.

anticubicle

Reaction score
I recently switch to the Fidanza 4.3. The stock pedal on my 08 felt way too soft for me so the pedal feel on the 4.3 is perfect for me.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have had 1 Centerforce replaced under warranty since it wouldn't release properly and in 12 months I went through a second one.
I'm now installing a Spec 3+ courtesy of Ron 94tbird.

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
GT-500

FWIW, I plan on installing, or have installed, a GT-500 clutch. There are two big problems with doing that. The first is the crank on the GT-500 has a different bolt pattern and number of bolts. This can be overcome by buying the flywheel from PowerHouse. The second, and far more costly is the input shaft has to be changed to a 26 spline unit. That is a send the trans out and wait type of repair. The reason I am willing to do all the BS is the GT-500 clutch feels like our stockers and can be slipped for a better launch. Also, whether I do this or have it done I only want to do it once. I am worried about just putting a Spec in and snapping the 10 spline input shaft, getting towed home from the track sucks.

Last edited:

Fastmover

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I got the Spec 2+ clutch in my car, and it is slaying shit. I LOVE IT. Hooks like a mother at the track. Not bad on the street, although traffic starts to suck on the knee. I am over 500 to the tires, launch at 5k and never misses a beat. I have at least 90+ passes on it. I destroyed the stock one, you shoulda seen the glazed parts, I killed a 03 cobra set up in one pass. I mean Jim had the car spent a full day getting it done for me to make the race in Atlanta last year and FIRST pass, Blew that POS up in 3rd shift. So car went back to NJ where they put a 3+ in and jim was driving it on the NJTP but he said he didn't like the chatter on the high way above 80 so he took that out and put the 2+ in. I really love it. Very good, stiff pedal, you know it is there. Hooks like a mother! I am very happy with mine!

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Input Shaft?

Reading all these posts has me wondering if I am too concerned with breaking the 10 spline input shaft. Are all of you guys running the stock input shaft? I know Peter goes to the track a lot, how about the rest of you? Maybe I should just buy the Spec 3+ and wait for the rest of the transmission mods.

Thanks

gloryboy

Reaction score
Reading all these posts has me wondering if I am too concerned with breaking the 10 spline input shaft. Are all of you guys running the stock input shaft? I know Peter goes to the track a lot, how about the rest of you? Maybe I should just buy the Spec 3+ and wait for the rest of the transmission mods.

Thanks

Like you, I'd like to do the clutch once.......my ride is a daily driver and i want it to to perform like one.........i went with a gt500 clutch/flywheel assembly for my build. If you need a clutch to handle 500+ hp, a 26 spline input shaft is a mod to consider as this seems to be the weak point of the t-3650......I'm on the fence between putting a 26 spline input shaft in mine, or switching to a tr6060. I'd rather do things right the first time even if it takes me longer to finish. Oh yea, i still need to do forged internals as well.......anyway, i digress........seems like for a daily driver a twin disc is tough to beat, just expensive( a familiar theme in this hobby).....

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Sounds like spec clutches are pretty nice, but I also have to figure out if I am going to switch to the tr6060. If I can get one of my stocks to hit, i'll do full engine build and trans swap, but if not, it's a new clutch.

Fastmover

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Sounds like spec clutches are pretty nice, but I also have to figure out if I am going to switch to the tr6060. If I can get one of my stocks to hit, i'll do full engine build and trans swap, but if not, it's a new clutch.

So your going with the SPEC huh!:party:

mwilkes

cheesewhiz
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had a fidanza 4.3 - JUNK! I have it here if you want it... cost me tons when it blew the slave cylinder and the clutch master cylinder.

I now have a Spec stage 3 in the car and it's beautiful!!

fordracing

12.84@108 1.89 60' N/A
Reaction score
I had a fidanza 4.3 - JUNK! I have it here if you want it... cost me tons when it blew the slave cylinder and the clutch master cylinder.

I now have a Spec stage 3 in the car and it's beautiful!!

How did the clutch blow the slave & master Cylinder?

mwilkes

cheesewhiz
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i guess technically i did it. The clutch just had too much pressure for Ford's hydraulic clutch system. Pedal pressure was probably twice or even three times as hard as it was stock. It made both ends of the system leak over the course of two months resulting in me needing a new clutch (again) and having to replace a TON of stuff. The pressure was so hard that the clutch wouldn't even disengage 100%. Glad I took it off too because the ceramic buttons on the clutch pads were eating a grove in my flywheel. overall it was a bad deal.

Last edited:

anticubicle

Reaction score

Thanks

I got to the track very often and launch very hard. Stock input shaft.

Turbotungsten

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 3650 from Promotion with a 26 spline input shaft. I have a Spec stage 3 that will go with that combo. I have heard nothing bad about Spec, but I have yet to run this. The engine/trans is still out of the car. Give me two or three weeks and I will report back. It should hold fine, but may be a little aggressive.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back