roto-joints

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Do these need to have the spanner wrench put on them and tightened up before install or should they be good to go out of the box?

Also, perhaps a stupid question, but when using the wrench to tighten them up I am assuming you rotate clockwise? How often should this tightening procedure need to be done and how do you know when it is time to do so? Assume mostly street miles with very light track use.

UMI Performance

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks for the question.

The control arms are ready to install out of the box, there is no need to tighten them or adjust them.

To tighten the Roto-Joint you would turn it clockwise, it is a right hand thread so just like tightening a nut. The Roto-Joint shouldn't need adjusted often at all, I would recommend checking them in 10,000 miles.

I hope that helps!
Ryan

cobra mike

rice killer
Reaction score
roto joints have no give, so no flex at all, whereas poly has some give, but not as much as rubber, less give in your suspension = better handeling and performance, but you will have to give up a bit in the ride, and noise department

UMI Performance

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Like Cobra Mike explained the Roto-Joint is a spherical joint, it allows the suspension to articulate correctly, preventing bind with little friction.

The Roto-Joint is similar to a rod end in function but it does not wear or offer additional noise like a rod end does. The link below has some detailed information, please check it out and let me know if you have any questions.

UMI Roto-Joint

Thank you!
Ryan

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Hmm.. There doesn't seem to be enough room with the arm installed to get the spanner wrench in there and adjust the delrin race.

Is it acceptable to use a dremel and shave off a little metal to get the wrench to fit in there? It would be nice to not have to take the bolt out and disconnect the arm to adjust the liner.

Also, does your adjustable roto-joint UCA come out of the box set for stock length?

Last edited:

UMI Performance

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Since the Roto-Joint is designed for many items and many different model vehicles it isn't designed to be on car adjustable for all set ups. Grinding the wrench won't effect anything but I do not recommend grinding the joint itself. Since you have only had them for a short period of time I think you will be fine with our adjusting them at this time. It will take a lot to wear them.

The upper control arm is preset to factory length, it won't hurt to double check this and adjust accordingly if needed.

I hope that helps,
Ryan

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Ryan the UCA didn't come preset to factory length. I set it down side by side with the stock arm and it was clearly longer by an easy 1/2". Adjustment out of the box is definitely necessary.

I am going to eye the difference between the two, get it as close as I can, and then put the new arm in. If there is a problem with the pinion angle and I get a vibration must I disconnect the driveshaft to check? This is a one piece axle exchange shaft. I'd rather not disconnect it if I can avoid it.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back