Rotors?

Stangmeister9

The Member
Reaction score
another rotor question...i am at the point of having to replace the oem rotors on the front. just wondering what others are using? oem, slotted? i hear many use the oem quality. i personally have had good experience with them and they been used at 9 events and still have life left on them. price is a considering factor. this is not my daily driver, but does see some street use when i want that six pack from the local corner store. hehehhe:thumb2:

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score
another rotor question...i am at the point of having to replace the oem rotors on the front. just wondering what others are using? oem, slotted? i hear many use the oem quality. i personally have had good experience with them and they been used at 9 events and still have life left on them. price is a considering factor. this is not my daily driver, but does see some street use when i want that six pack from the local corner store. hehehhe:thumb2:

damn to bad you didn't tell me this like 10 min ago i just ordered 2 sets of stock fronts off newtakeoff.com they were 40 bucks each and then a bunch for shipping

Reaction score
If stockers work for you, why change unless you just feel like spending money. I personally had issues every time I hit the track so I switched to slotted rotorpros and never looked back. Price is not as cheap as newtakeoffs, but they are definitely reasonable. As weird as it sounds, they don't have an online store, you can only find them on ebay. I can confidently say they are quality product and there plenty of folks on this forum that use them that will say the same.

Stangmeister9

The Member
Reaction score
damn to bad you didn't tell me this like 10 min ago i just ordered 2 sets of stock fronts off newtakeoff.com they were 40 bucks each and then a bunch for shipping

so you are upset cause you ordered two and are not sure of quality? or that they last as long as they have for me...not sure i understand. will look into rotorpros on ebay thanks for the advice.

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score
so you are upset cause you ordered two and are not sure of quality? or that they last as long as they have for me...not sure i understand. will look into rotorpros on ebay thanks for the advice.

i was going to say i could have ordered you a set and payed the same in shipping and gave them to you in feb

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
I run the stockers from NTO, with that price, it's too easy to keep a spare set with you just in case... I usually get a few weekends out of a set, track depending. Since mine only hits the street to go to and from a track, though, I just keep the race pads on, and have a fresh set of rotors with just in case.

Sleeper_08

forum member
Reaction score
SoundGuyDave

When you replace the rear pads do you use the special tool to push the pistons back in or have you found some easier way?

Reaction score
Yeah, you need something to physically turn the piston back in. I bought this "cube" that goes on the end of a 3/8 extention that has different piston notches on each side, but it sucks ass. Go to your local parts store and ask for a rear caliper tool that turns the piston back in. That kit is much, much better.

Sleeper_08

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, you need something to physically turn the piston back in. I bought this "cube" that goes on the end of a 3/8 extention that has different piston notches on each side, but it sucks ass. Go to your local parts store and ask for a rear caliper tool that turns the piston back in. That kit is much, much better.

I did buy the proper tool after reading that the "cube" was useless.

Reaction score
All the parts stores had their tool rented out so I had to settle with what I could find with less then 12 hours before the track day. But yes, it's a piece of crap. It may be because the spring/e-brake cabling is so frozen that's causing it to be a PITA. Takes 10 times to do the same job because the tool keeps slipping out of the notches without the dummy pad there creating pressure from the outside of the caliper.

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
All the parts stores had their tool rented out so I had to settle with what I could find with less then 12 hours before the track day. But yes, it's a piece of crap. It may be because the spring/e-brake cabling is so frozen that's causing it to be a PITA. Takes 10 times to do the same job because the tool keeps slipping out of the notches without the dummy pad there creating pressure from the outside of the caliper.

I think Harbor Freight sells the tool for less than $20. It looks the same as the part store kit, haven't tried it though..and yes, that cube thing is about as useful as a poopie-flavored lollipop..

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
The one I use is made by Mac Tools, and it ain't cheap, but I used to twist wrenches for a living, so...

LINK

GRAYPNY

Rich
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the rotorpros on ebay the other day and they have really gotten a shit load of negative feedback lately. Wonder what's up?

Reaction score
I was looking at the rotorpros on ebay the other day and they have really gotten a shit load of negative feedback lately. Wonder what's up?

Holy shit, you weren't kidding. I just checked it out and things looks to have been sour since December. I sure hope they get their shit together because their products were top notch. Maybe wait up until their feedback improves if you don't wanna gamble.

Last edited:

Philostang

Chrome Hater
Reaction score
Never went w/Rotorpros, so not much help there.

Have been down the "cube road," and about the most one can say for it is that it beats a pair of needle nose pliers...but it barely beats it.

I have the HF version of the caliper tool and I love it - worth far more than the few pennies you spend on it. Of course, this is after living with the cube for a few pad swaps. Might be nice to try the MAC version for a comparison...eh-hem, wink-wink, nudge-nudge Dave...

I have been on OEM take-off rotors for some time now and always had very good luck with them. For the price, you can't beat it and it's super easy to keep a spare set on hand in case you toast yours at the track.

Now that I've upgraded to a bbk, I'm having fond nostalgic memories of the price-point of the OEM rotors...I usually got mine in the $60 /set range. *sniff*

I'll have to console myself with the light weight of my new rotors. :evillaugh:

Best,
-j

Back