Rpm gauge not working/ stepper motor!

Shelbgt05

forum member
Reaction score
Well if it isn't one thing its another. Rpm is flickering and is saying 0 when at idle. Then when taking off its around 2 or 3. It's way off! I know its the steeper motor, and have read about how to replace them. I really don't want to have to soder. But I don't wanna get a New gauge cluster. Is there anyone around the west Virginia, Virginia, Maryland area that will help me out or give me a hand.

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
Hey bud, it is really easy to do. I dont like to solder either but it only took about 5 minutes to do 3 stepper motors. Very easy process. FYI, there is a site on amazon where I got 6 motors for like $15.

Shelbgt05

forum member
Reaction score
Hey bud, it is really easy to do. I dont like to solder either but it only took about 5 minutes to do 3 stepper motors. Very easy process. FYI, there is a site on amazon where I got 6 motors for like $15.

Do you have a link? And while I have the cluster out should I just do all six?

shikwann

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not the best person to soder, but I took mine to an electronics/tv repair guy and he did the job for 15 bux. Thought I'd play it safe just in case I ruined the board myself lol

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score

Shelbgt05

forum member
Reaction score

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
How do I set them so they are accurate? And do I have to disconnected the battery before removing the cluster ?

I didnt take off the battery cable.

As far as resetting, Just start the car and put the RPM needle back to where you car typically idles. The gas, just make sure you have a FULL tank when you do the swap. The oil and voltage are always in the same spot for the most part, just take a picture. The speedometer, I set with my GPS. I set the needle on 0 then did a 0-120 run while my brother in law was in the passenger side reading my GPS. If it was off any, I would remove the needle and adjust it which ever way it needed to go. Trial and error and the final test was blowing past a police radar trailer.

Shelbgt05

forum member
Reaction score
I didnt take off the battery cable.

As far as resetting, Just start the car and put the RPM needle back to where you car typically idles. The gas, just make sure you have a FULL tank when you do the swap. The oil and voltage are always in the same spot for the most part, just take a picture. The speedometer, I set with my GPS. I set the needle on 0 then did a 0-120 run while my brother in law was in the passenger side reading my GPS. If it was off any, I would remove the needle and adjust it which ever way it needed to go. Trial and error and the final test was blowing past a police radar trailer.

Thanks man, I'm going to order them this week hopefully. And lol at the police radar haha

itsslow

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, you might as well do all 6. To set it accurately, simply turn your ignition to the "on" position for 5 seconds while the speedo is plugged in, and then completely turn the ignition off. Then set all your needles at 0 or the lowest point. I would recommend not assuming what your car idles at, or if your gas tank is full or not.

Last edited:

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
Yes, you might as well do all 6. To set it accurately, simply turn your ignition to the "on" position for 5 seconds while the speedo is plugged in, and then completely turn the ignition off. Then set all your needles at 0 or the lowest point. I would recommend not assuming what your car idles at, or if your gas tank is full or not.

Learn something new every day. I was never told this when I did mine. However, my way turned out just fine as well. I checked my RPM's after I got my Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge and it was spot on using my method.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back