Rst/Spec FW problems...

ProCrsh

Reaction score
OK so i searched around a little on the site and haven't gotten an exact answer. Here's my awesome scenario.

Background:
Stock clutch couldn't handle the turbo and more so i did some research. All signs pointed to the rst clutch and a spec billet steel flywheel. Everyone recommended if your going in to do it all. Bought a new oem slave and pilot bearing too. Car is already running on Motul so my fluid is set.

Install:
Brought the car to the same speed shop that's been doing my tuning and has a good rep. Dropped of the car was supposed to be a day, 4 days later it was done. No biggie told them to take their time its my second car. Apparently working with the turbo piping was difficult and the shop owner had to text it before it went out.

1st Day 12pm:
Picked it up told to be easy as i understand new clutch. Pedal felt awesome. Shifts smoothly. Gotta get back to work so no time to play.

1st Day 6pm:
Works over got into car and go to put into gear wouldn't go. Shut off pumped the pedal a few times and still difficult but went in and good were off. Driving home lowered the radio noticed a noise. Between 1500 - 2000 rpm in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th a vibrating rattle sound appears. Once your over that rpm its gold again. If you sit in that rpm range it will stay constant. So back to the shop.

2nd Day:
Went to work, making the sound. Off work driving to shop making the sound. Got to the shop, took the mechanic for a ride, got it to make the sound(luckily). He pulls it onto a lift, swearing it a exhaust rattle. checks it drives it, still there. lift again. drives it still there. lift again. no more driving comes inside.
Says he can chase a exhaust rattle all day but hes 99% sure that's it. He said the turbo kit has pipes going everywhere(mind you Ive have this kit on for almost 3yrs now and it didn't make this sound when I brought it in).

Current Issues:
1. 1500rpm - 2000rpm rattling vibration in gear 2nd, 3rd, 4th.
2. 1100rpm - 1400rpm vibration in neutral(discovered after leaving shop 2nd time, they're closed so they don't know)

New parts:
RST Twin Disc
Spec Billet FW
OEM Slave
OEM Pilot Bearing

Please, any input

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds like clutch chatter to me from your description.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
The floater plate on a twin disc will rattle around 1700 rpms. McLeod rst is known for it. I only notice in 4th gear though. The first problem about not going into gear was probably an air pocket in the slave or line that has since bled itself out.

smoken1986

forum member
Reaction score
I have the rattle also, and I am running the same combo. I did end up having to send my rst and spec fw to McLeod because the FW was not machined properly and caused one disc not to release and only one to work. Now I never had any issues out of it till over a year later. JPC's bomb ass customer service got it all rebuild a cheap price though.

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was about to order an rst but I don't want one if it's going to rattle. Looks like I'm back to a spec 3+

ProCrsh

Reaction score
Sounds like clutch chatter to me from your description.
Isn't chatter when if first let off the clutch?? This is when I'm in gear, foot completely off clutch.

I have the rattle also, and I am running the same combo. I did end up having to send my rst and spec fw to McLeod because the FW was not machined properly and caused one disc not to release and only one to work. Now I never had any issues out of it till over a year later. JPC's bomb ass customer service got it all rebuild a cheap price though.
If I have to go this direction I'm going to have to shell out for labor again and once more to put it back in. Did they reimburse you at all?

I was about to order an rst but I don't want one if it's going to rattle. Looks like I'm back to a spec 3+
Dude, I was back and forth between these two for awhile. Don't let this scare you away definitely a great clutch, I'm hoping this is just a minor snag.

Any ideas on the neutral rev to 1100 - 1400 rpm vibration??

ps the mechanic said I shouldn't drive below 2k rpm bc its lugging the motor

Last edited by a moderator:

Brewster

forum member
Reaction score
Just had an exedy mach 500 clutch, exedy lightweight steel flywheel, pressure plate, new slave cylinder....all installed by the ford dealer. I also have a Dynatech 3.5" aluminum driveshaft. I have the same problem as you. Guess what...it's "normal." The exedy parts I received had a piece of paper with it stating that this would happen and in no way will it affect performance or normal operation. So far it hasn't, and i've even taken it to the drag strip to stress it. Is it annoying? Yes. Am I gonna shell out for a different brand clutch and labor again because of it so that it will be perfect? Hell no. I'll live with it, i just wish Exedy or Brenspeed would have told me that to begin with. Of course if they did I wouldn't have bought that particular model. I'd have kept looking for aftermarket parts that don't do that or just go back with stock. Maybe that's why they didn't? I don't know, does everyone with an aluminum driveshaft and aftermarket clutch have these issues?

Last edited:

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know it would piss me off and I think that would lead to me selling the car.

ProCrsh

Reaction score
what I wanna know is how some cars have it and some don't. I wouldn't mind it if it was consistent with high hp clutches. Is the low rpm vibration supposed to happen?

I know it would piss me off and I think that would lead to me selling the car.
Seriously, I started looking at gt500s lol

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
So what options are available for those of us with power adders who need a replacement clutch but don't want the chatter? To be honest, the stock clutch isn't bad but I'm certainly not going to buy anything from my local Ford stealership.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
The inability to shift gears is truly Air in the system. Just needs to be bled more. These things can be a monster to bleed. This is a tough one. It could be a floater not releasing, It could be dirt. Very hard to say.

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
The floater plate on a twin disc will rattle around 1700 rpms. McLeod rst is known for it. I only notice in 4th gear though. The first problem about not going into gear was probably an air pocket in the slave or line that has since bled itself out.

That...and there is also a TSB on the transmission to engine plate, which it could be. A search will reveal the replacement plate part number and alternative fixes.

Too late, but I tell everyone to splurge for the RXT. Wish I had. I have the RST.

07VistaChicago

forum member
Reaction score
I just installed a RST and I have been breaking it in for about 350 miles so far. I get the twin disc "rattle" any part throttle under 1500 rpm in any hear except first. But not noise when engaging or at idle.

Brewster

forum member
Reaction score
I've had the TSB done it's a Transmission separator plate. That vibration is gone since the TSB service work was done and has never come back. The vibration/chatter I'm talking about is new and is the same as described above. Rattle/chatter from 1500ish to 2k then gone.

Simon

forum member
Reaction score
So what options are available for those of us with power adders who need a replacement clutch but don't want the chatter? To be honest, the stock clutch isn't bad but I'm certainly not going to buy anything from my local Ford stealership.

Mcleod RST FW and clutch. Do it and be happy.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Mcleod RST FW and clutch. Do it and be happy.

Except for all the people who did that and now have a rattle. No, I'm looking for a clutch that doesn't rattle. To be honest, the stock clutch isn't that bad compared to the stories I'm hearing.

Simon

forum member
Reaction score
Except for all the people who did that and now have a rattle. No, I'm looking for a clutch that doesn't rattle. To be honest, the stock clutch isn't that bad compared to the stories I'm hearing.

Yeah the stock clutch isn't bad at all. But it won't hold the power a lot of us make. I have had the RST in for 5 years and have noticed the rattle since. However, it only happens when lugging the motor or giving it too much fuel around that 1,700 rpm mark.

There have been other threads about this and for the most part its a none issue.

07VistaChicago

forum member
Reaction score
Totally agree! I never hear it unless I make it happen by lugging down low. So far the RST is just as awesome as a stock clutch!! BTW I have a McLeod lightened steel FW and the RST also.

Yeah the stock clutch isn't bad at all. But it won't hold the power a lot of us make. I have had the RST in for 5 years and have noticed the rattle since. However, it only happens when lugging the motor or giving it too much fuel around that 1,700 rpm mark.

There have been other threads about this and for the most part its a none issue.

Speed+Clinic

forum member
Reaction score

Why not get the stocker then? I know the dude that sells saleen parts on ebay had lots of discs. Why not get a new clutch disc and see what happens? Leave the pressure plate stock and upgrade the disc to see. Isn't that what saleen did on some models? Don't remember exactly, I could be mistaken.

Fryblade

Fireblade Graphics
Reaction score
went from stock clutch to a single disk ceramic race clutch & I have the low rpm chatter. its no big deal.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back