RTR aluminum deck lid spoiler...available again?!

mrgtx

forum member
Reaction score
So love it or hate it, this was evidentially for real.

UPS should be dropping it off today. More details forthcoming.

One of the things that I love about this spoiler is that it almost disappears when viewed from the side. Being thin and flat black, you can see the intended spoiler-free trunk lid profile shape...which I see as a positive thing.

Forgetting the spoiler-delete option is my one and only regret on how I ordered my 2011...and since I have the holes already, this is the next best thing, imo.

mrgtx

forum member
Reaction score
Was there even a spoiler delete option? I've NEVER seen an '11 without a spoiler.
Yeah. There was a box to check to delete the spoiler.

I have no recollection of the option number but I poured over that configurator for weeks before ordering :p

mrgtx

forum member
Reaction score
The RTR spoiler is on my car...
Thanks to conflicting obligations, I didn't even get to start the job until yesterday afternoon and it was dark by the time I finished. Trying to photograph a flat black spoiler on a dark blue car at dusk is not an easy task.

A couple of observations from the swap process:

1) allow plenty of time to remove the stock lip spoiler, if applicable. The double-sided tape, as you may know, is from another planet. A heat gun helps a great deal but it's still a slow process. Once the spoiler is off, settle yourself in for an hour with the Goo-Gone (or other paint-safe)adhesive remover) and a soft plastic putty knife.

2) don't lose the hardware- there is a high probability that the stock hardware could find its way into the structure of the trunk lid. When the nuts are almost off, I recommend closing the lid as much as possible (but where you can still move the wrench) so an errant nut might have a better chance of falling out vertically if it gets away from you.

3) Uhh.. not sure what's happening with the paint under my spoiler but there was a section that had air bubbles a couple dozen 1/8"-1/4" diameter air bubbles. These are seemingly not related to any kind of rust, not related to the heat gun (they're in the middle where not much heat was applied)...and they're 100% covered up by the spoiler but still, that didn't make me feel too good.

4) stock lip spoiler uses 4 studs/nuts in addition to the tape. The RTR spoiler uses only the 2 outer holes. This is a concern if you're replacing a stock spoiler as there are open holes under the spoiler. I'll be loading them up with silicone from the inside (which is 100 hidden by the carpet/liner) as water will likely get in there. RTR also gives you surprisingly dinky washers...way to save $.003, guys.

5) the RTR spoiler is subtle. This is always the look that I favor for my cars but some might look at it and wonder where their money went. It also looks like it might almost be functional. It has a similar rake to the stock lip but it's a bit longer.

6) this piece might actually be a better upgrade for a Boss302. The black finish fits in with the scheme on the Boss cars, the all business, no flash looks would seem right at home there. Also, the thin form of the spoiler actually matches the Boss 302 front splitter, making for a cohesive composition, if that's something you care about.

7) essentially no change to rearward visibility over the standard 2010-2014 GT lip spoiler. This is absolutely nothing like the GT500 or CS style spoilers that take up much of your rear view mirror FOV.

Over all, I'm happy with it. The RTR aluminum spoiler isa tasteful, nearly OEM looking piece that is the opposite of the chrome wheel/fake scoop school of Mustang mods. It's aggressive without being flashy or goofy.

This was a part that I had wanted for my GT for the past three years or so...and it had gone extinct just as I was ready to click the "buy" button. I was very surprised to see it come back in stock...With S197 specific parts entering their downward availability slope, I'm really glad to have found one.

Pics forthcoming.

Last edited:

mrgtx

forum member
Reaction score
The images from yesterday are all super dark but this one captures a glimpse of one aspect that I like the most- it’s very thin when viewed edge-on.

I may still try to hunt down a spoiler-free Kona Blue trunk lid :)

Attachments

• 3537F131-020E-4FC5-B2A9-265C5855E73D.jpg
    3537F131-020E-4FC5-B2A9-265C5855E73D.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 13

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
IMO the only deck lid spoiler that looks right on that body style is the GT500 wing.

I do, and have always, liked the RTR body line stripe

mrgtx

forum member
Reaction score
IMO the only deck lid spoiler that looks right on that body style is the GT500 wing.

Yeah. It’s a good looking piece on any year GT500. My father has an ‘07 and that big lip spoiler seems to favorably change the dimensions of the car. It’s hard to explain but it affects the proportions of the body.

That said, any way to de-plastic a hot rod is a win, IMO.

MechE

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the picture. Would it be possible to get a 3/4 shot from the front and behind?

mrgtx

forum member
Reaction score
101blur on Instagram sells these Nascar style spoilers. Some may think it's over the top but I'm in love.

https://www.instagram.com/p/4sina-qjLd/

Yep. When I couldn't find the RTR piece for the longest time, I seriously considered 101blur's spoiler. They do look pretty sharp and IIRC, he does track his car so I'd hope that he has come up with a design that actually works.

But they're just a bit too outrageous for me.

46addict

Reaction score
when is the last time you have talked to him about selling these... Last thing I heard was not available any more....

I saw his posts from a couple months ago saying he is taking orders. I asked about him on the FB group and there's a guy saying he put an order in on Wednesday.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back