Rubbing- is this bad?

Apex50

forum member
Reaction score
2012 5.0 with Brembos, Konis, Steeda sports, camber is at max spec -1.5. Pressures at 35psi.

Need your opinions- just got finished running up 500 break in miles on my new track combo: 18 x 10 D Force rims (from Vorschlag) with 295/35R18 BFG G Force Rivals.

Swapping out the brake pads today I noticed a deposit of rubber on the struts. Not very thick, just a thin layer of rubber on top of the yellow paint but definitely wasn't there before with the oem wheels and tires.

Looks to be about the same on either side:

Drivers
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/epp1ege1lg6jrsi/Photo Aug 25, 8 26 15 AM.jpg

Passenger
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/zev4l21vb9brt0c/Photo Aug 25, 8 27 25 AM.jpg

Looking at the BFGs, the tread blocks overlap way over on the side walls. Must be rubbing
under hard cornering? (which I didn't do much, I swear) There isn't any noticeable difference between inside edges on front/rear tires though...

VIR tomorrow: I'm thinking all will be fine- but feel free to predict my doom and scare the crap outta me!

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Step 1. Jack car up with wheels still on it.

Step 2. Get under car and check tire clearance.

Step 3. Add spacers if needed.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
If you feel like sweating it get the ARP hubs and use spacers to your heart's content.

DocB

forum member
Reaction score
That's not your tire, it's someone elses.

Looks like klag that got caught between your tire and the strut.

But I agree with gmitch, climb underneath and see how much clearance you have with the new set up, just to make sure.

Crap isn't fun to clean out of your firesuit or off the seat.

Last edited:

tbrock

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
reviving this thread as I'm curious as to what is a safe amount of clearance between the tire and strut?

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
I'd go with a credit card, maybe a smidge more.

tbrock

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd go with a credit card, maybe a smidge more.

Thank you! I just put 295/35/18's on my car and I've got enough room to get at least 2 cards in between so I should be good to go.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Should be, though you might still get occasional light rubbing if your wheels are down around minimum recommended width for the tire size. Hint: the difference between light rubbing and none can be as small as 0.025", and you can readily get small sheets of aluminum in that thickness.

Norm

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
I remember putting my coilovers on my 05 and made it 2 miles before the sidewall was gone and I had a blow out. That wasnt fun at all. I never even knew it was rubbing.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back