Runner up, yes again X4....LOL.., auto trans shift points ?

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Race #9 this year at my track last Friday night and I made the finals for the 5th time this year. But I broke out out and lost the race. Oh well....making the finals is always fun regardless of the outcome.

I race the Pro Street 12.90 Bracket and I want to get a new tune where the shift points are lowered so I have full power off the line. The Pro Tree needs full power to be able to cut a great light. Anybody ever lower their shift points? I am thinking 300 rpm or so would do it. I need to slow my car down 3-4 tenths. Did you do it on the sct yourself or get an entire new tune?

Here is a 110 mph flyby at the finish line. This was qualifying on Saturday night and I managed to qualify #1 on this run with a 12.905 I finished 3rd Sat night...so close to another final. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COkDpZin_B8

Last edited:

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "I want to slow my car down".

07 Boss

Reaction score
You can have the shift points wherever you want them through your tune. You should be able to adjust the shiftpoints with your handheld but any adjustments you make there will only be for WOT operation, not throughout all the other throttle positions.

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
I raced an index class with a stick car. Launch and R/T was never an issue as I was able to dial it in with a 2 step. I would slow the car down and or speed it up using the user adjustable settings in the SCT. A timing change or fuel change would do the trick. You need to spend some time at test and tune to see what changes equate to what ET. Also keep a log of set ups and weather conditions. A hand held weather station like this is worth every penny if you are serious about being consistent. Short shifting is also a good option as you have the option to shift at higher rpms and speed the car up if you had a poor launch. You can also practice spot drops, pick a place on the track to let off the gas or tap the brake. Makes it hard for the other guy to judge what you are going to do if you mix it up with the other methods.

Last edited:

Fabman

Children Of The Corn
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "I want to slow my car down".
Where I race a 6 point cage is only good for 10.0. As soon as you crack 9.99 they send you home.
A 9 second legal cage is not street friendly at all so I need to stay in the low 10's

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
I have done the timing change thing for two years now and it works great when the air is good. When the air sucks its bad. Running against a Pro Tree and slowing the car down is bad. Your car gets so sluggish off the line its near impossible to cut a low .5 light.

Brent@brenspeed has already written me a tune where it shifts at 5500. Not sure if 500 rpms will be enough or too much. I will find out Sept 20 at our next race. I am running this tune on the street now and it runs perfect.

@fiveOh If you bracket race and your index is 12.90 and your car runs 12.2s you gotta do something if you want to win. I tried the braking thing for a while and had some wins but not enough. Getting the car to run around 12.8 and using your brakes at the top end is what I am looking for. I gotta have full power off the line though for the pro tree. My detuned tune will run 12.90 on the nose but its too slow off the line for the tree.

5 finals in 9 races this year, I am totally stoked...but we all like to win....so I am trying to gain an edge where I can. Just ordered a afco dual fan HE for the heat soak issue too.

Fabman

Children Of The Corn
Reaction score
I have done the timing change thing for two years now and it works great when the air is good. When the air sucks its bad. Running against a Pro Tree and slowing the car down is bad. Your car gets so sluggish off the line its near impossible to cut a low .5 light.

Brent@brenspeed has already written me a tune where it shifts at 5500. Not sure if 500 rpms will be enough or too much. I will find out Sept 20 at our next race. I am running this tune on the street now and it runs perfect.

@fiveOh If you bracket race and your index is 12.90 and your car runs 12.2s you gotta do something if you want to win. I tried the braking thing for a while and had some wins but not enough. Getting the car to run around 12.8 and using your brakes at the top end is what I am looking for. I gotta have full power off the line though for the pro tree. My detuned tune will run 12.90 on the nose but its too slow off the line for the tree.

5 finals in 9 races this year, I am totally stoked...but we all like to win....so I am trying to gain an edge where I can. Just ordered a afco dual fan HE for the heat soak issue too.
Hey 808....I was on Maui for a couple years around 2006/2008. Wonder if we ever bumped into eachother....does my car look at all familiar you you?

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Haha thats so funny, what a small world. Yes I know many of those cars and owners. I do remember you car, cause I remember seeing the Ford Racing rocker panel stripes at the time and liking it. I was showing my black SRT10 Viper truck at the show. And at 2:09 thats me standing there. LOL That was a fun show. Lots of my racing friends in those pics. Thanks for sharing.

Fabman

Children Of The Corn
Reaction score
Haha thats so funny, what a small world. Yes I know many of those cars and owners. I do remember you car, cause I remember seeing the Ford Racing rocker panel stripes at the time and liking it. I was showing my black SRT10 Viper truck at the show. And at 2:09 thats me standing there. LOL That was a fun show. Lots of my racing friends in those pics. Thanks for sharing.
Good times....I don't miss the 45 MPH speed limit though. :thud:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back