RXT Clutch?

v6tungsten

forum member
Reaction score
I want to run in the 600rwhp range but thats not going to happen until the engine blows. Im guess by that time it will need another clutch anyways.
Car only driven about 60 miles a week on average.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
It's your call I just hate to see people buy the wrong part for their application based on internet bullshit.

I ran and held 699 actual, uncorrected rwhp with a RST. It was in good enough condition to resell after using it for over 3 years.

It's a very good clutch. If you don't want to spend that much money I can also recommend the Exedy 07806. Here's a link from ebay. I'm running one with a 6060 and pushing an undetermined amount of power, probably around 525rwhp and it's not slipping during datalogging pulls when the tires also aren't slipping. The price is right, it's not hard on the slave, and engagement is fairly smooth.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXEDY-07806-Stage-1-Organic-Racing-Clutch-Sport-Kit-/310867067217

I want to run in the 600rwhp range but thats not going to happen until the engine blows. Im guess by that time it will need another clutch anyways.
Car only driven about 60 miles a week on average.

StangPhD

forum member
Reaction score
I have the RXT with the TR6060. My car is very streetable. You will hear a little chatter, but that is a badge of honor knowing it is a Mcleod RXT.

v6tungsten

forum member
Reaction score
It's your call I just hate to see people buy the wrong part for their application based on internet bullshit.

I ran and held 699 actual, uncorrected rwhp with a RST. It was in good enough condition to resell after using it for over 3 years.

It's a very good clutch. If you don't want to spend that much money I can also recommend the Exedy 07806. Here's a link from ebay. I'm running one with a 6060 and pushing an undetermined amount of power, probably around 525rwhp and it's not slipping during datalogging pulls when the tires also aren't slipping. The price is right, it's not hard on the slave, and engagement is fairly smooth.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXEDY-07806-Stage-1-Organic-Racing-Clutch-Sport-Kit-/310867067217

How is the clutch pedal effort between the RST and Exedy. I heard good thing about the exedy but dont want a heavy pedal. I had actually purchase a 500 series exedy from American muscle and sold it to go the the tr6060 the guy that purchased it has already removed because of heave clutch pedal effort

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
It's not bad. The one I linked you to is not a 500. It's less than that. The exedyusa.com page has a good description sheet with values for the pressure plates and torque ratings.

Just because a 500 is stiff and sometimes takes out masters doesn't mean that every Exedy does, lol. It's just another option to think about.

I'll see if I can find a link to the exedy specs.

How is the clutch pedal effort between the RST and Exedy. I heard good thing about the exedy but dont want a heavy pedal. I had actually purchase a 500 series exedy from American muscle and sold it to go the the tr6060 the guy that purchased it has already removed because of heave clutch pedal effort

v6tungsten

forum member
Reaction score
The 510 rating looks like what american muscle calls the 400 but it was for the 5speed. I liked it but was worried because my car stoned at 478hp and 450tq. How long have you had the seedy in the car? That look good but I want it to last and hold my powerlevel

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
It's been in since I put the Big Bore motor in. Maybe 7 or 8 months. The RST is a smoother engagement and easier pedal but this exedy isn't bad. It's nothing like the centerforce df I had in.

You can also buy a 26 spline disk for now if you want. horsepower1 has the zoom Kevlar disks that saleen was putting in with a t-56. I have one here as a backup. Have no idea what it will hold or how well it would work. It was $30 and brand new so I bought it. I also have a used GT500 clutch, pp, and flywheel here just in case the exedy doesn't like the step up in power with the blower. I won't know for sure how well it holds until I go to the track with drag radials. For what I've done so far the exedy has been flawless. It makes a great street clutch for a car with summer tires.

Prior to the dob the motor made 437rwhp. That didn't challenge the clutch ever. It held whatever I'm making now during a wot pull. That's where you usually find a clutches weak spot, with high load in a higher gear.
The 510 rating looks like what american muscle calls the 400 but it was for the 5speed. I liked it but was worried because my car stoned at 478hp and 450tq. How long have you had the seedy in the car? That look good but I want it to last and hold my powerlevel

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
I ran an RST for a couple years and loved the engagement, but I sometimes could not shift.

I chalk this up to the fact that the The OEM GT flywheel mis-matches the RST friction discs. Bruce has a pic of this (I'll post some later - I did the autopsy on my RST).

Make sure you run a McLeod or other flywheel that matches the friction surfaces of the RST or RXT precisely - Don't use a stock flywheel!

I have not driven my new RXT yet - installing it now (with a McLeod lightened steel flywheel). I'll report back the difference once it is broken in.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
This is the picture. It's the RST that was used with the 3650 and a Fidanza flywheel. The lip didn't make much difference imo. Sometimes I would feel a catch or very slight delay that I think was caused by it.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I have the RXT along with the Mcleod aluminum flywheel and in the morning I can't put in gear. I think its more of my new slave cylinder, I bled it out but I have to pump the clutch several times before I can shift into any gear. A quick fix was is to start in gear and then it works right away.

forum member
Reaction score
... If you don't want to spend that much money I can also recommend the Exedy 07806. Here's a link from ebay. I'm running one with a 6060 and pushing an undetermined amount of power, probably around 525rwhp and it's not slipping during datalogging pulls when the tires also aren't slipping. The price is right, it's not hard on the slave, and engagement is fairly smooth.

I am starting to hate these clutch threads more and more every time I read one. I am sure I will need a clutch soon and I become more indecisive with every read.
Bruce, do I read this right? You're recommending a clutch that American Muscle sells that is rated at 430 lbs of torque as opposed to their Stage 2? How long do you think it will last for you?
I am worried about a heavy clutch pedal. I was looking at an RST but the cost is a big factor. How do these Exedy Stage 1 and Stage 2 clutches stack up for pedal feel and durability with track use?
Thanks.

CraigNnem

forum member
Reaction score
I had my mind made up on an exedy mach 400 until I felt the pedal on my friends car. No way I want a stiff clutch like that in my car.

Just gotta save up and pay for the rst & flywheel.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I didn't buy mine from AM. I bought an 07806 which is actually for a 04 with a T-56. I also bought a new Motorcraft slave to go with it. I didn't want a heavier pressure plate. If I read the Exedy catalogue correctly it looks like just going with a thicker disk version will hold more power. It should last for quite awhile. It hasn't slipped yet at wot higher gear pulls without wheel spin.

If it needs replacement it will be replaced with an RST. The price difference is about $400 which is worth it for the RST IMO. It's that good. I also have one of the Saleen Zoom Kevlar clutch disks to try. If I pull the tranny again though an RST will go in. There is nothing wrong with the Exedy but it probably won't hold the power if I put a tvs on. Since I know that the RST will handle the power and is a very easy engagement I'd go with it.

I'll stay away from the Mach 500 based on member feedback. I never want to blow a slave cylinder again. That's what happened with a Centerforce Dual Friction I had. It had a stiff pedal.

I am starting to hate these clutch threads more and more every time I read one. I am sure I will need a clutch soon and I become more indecisive with every read.
Bruce, do I read this right? You're recommending a clutch that American Muscle sells that is rated at 430 lbs of torque as opposed to their Stage 2? How long do you think it will last for you?
I am worried about a heavy clutch pedal. I was looking at an RST but the cost is a big factor. How do these Exedy Stage 1 and Stage 2 clutches stack up for pedal feel and durability with track use?
Thanks.

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't buy mine from AM. I bought an 07806 which is actually for a 04 with a T-56. ..

I'll stay away from the Mach 500 based on member feedback. I never want to blow a slave cylinder again. That's what happened with a Centerforce Dual Friction I had. It had a stiff pedal.

What flywheel are you using with the 07806?
I agree with the last part of your response. I have never heard a good comment on the Mach 500 in a street car.
CraigNnem, thanks for the input.
To the OP, I hope all of this helps you too. I don't want to hi-jack your thread.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I can't remember the flywheel. It's aluminum and meets sfi. At the time there were a number of them on ebay for $120 new. I bought this one off of a member but it was new. I think it's a Spec or Fidanza. Just looked through my Big Bore Boss build thread and couldn't find it listed.

What flywheel are you using with the 07806?
I agree with the last part of your response. I have never heard a good comment on the Mach 500 in a street car.
CraigNnem, thanks for the input.
To the OP, I hope all of this helps you too. I don't want to hi-jack your thread.

07 procharger

Addicted to modding
Reaction score
I'm on my 2nd RST. Great clutch for the track. I can't see why you need a RXT for a street car.

Although corpo on here runs a RXT. but he auto crosses a lot.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
If my memory is working correctly at one time the RXT wasn't recommended for drag racing because of the metallic particles. Somewhere along the way the disk was changed to ceramic particles and since then McLeod has said it's ok for drag racing.

It's really something how the internet and forums influence what people buy. Something must of happened on another forum to get all of these people buying RXT clutches for street cars.

I miss my RST a little. It engaged so smooth and took such a light pedal effort that it spoiled me. There is nothing wrong with the Exedy I'm running now but once you have had the best then the rest are unimpressive. I like the Exedy, it's a great deal for what it does and it's streetable. Haven't had it at the track yet. I do have a set of M&H drag radials coming so we will see if it can hold sticky tires.

I'm on my 2nd RST. Great clutch for the track. I can't see why you need a RXT for a street car.

klaw

forum member
Reaction score

My RST didn't last very long but it was during the period McLeod was having issues with those. I swapped it for an RXT and would never consider anything else. I'm mostly street - even rush hour traffic at times.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back