Ryan's Surprise Kona Build!

Rpm427sc

forum member
Reaction score
Little update:

So during the initial teardown, for whatever reason the upstream drivers O2 decided it wanted to pull the threads out instead of just backing off, even with a ton of anti-sieze. I had to cut off and weld in a new O2 bung I bought from summitracing, and replaced the O2 sensor with a Bosch replacement sensor.

What I didn't know was if you use anything other then the exact sensor from Ford, you will have issues tuning, and in my case, foul a set of $17 a piece plugs.

So I got another set of plugs and a sensor and we're back on track, just keep that in mind if you need to pick up a replacement 02 sensor.

Black_GT

SIIXVII
Reaction score
Great build and pics! You def have skill. Now lets see the 57 page DIY write up on 'How to build your engine from the ground up'. Thanks lol.

Last edited:

Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
Just beyond amazing work! The fact that this was done in your garage is a true testament to the modern "shade tree mechanic". I do wish I had your knowledge. Sub'd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Rpm427sc

forum member
Reaction score
Picked up the car last night, wanted to post up some results.

We got the tune nailed down, driveability is perfect even with the 127650 cams (Comp Stage 3 Blower XFI). The car sounds NASTY even with the Roush resonators and Borla axlebacks.

The rings are still seating so the tune was very conservative (timing) and we only pulled to 5000 RPM. I'm gonna take the car for a 2500 mile roadtrip, then switch to Full Synthetic and go back for a max performance tune.

The power was going up each time we did a run, on the same tune. Here is the last one. Keep in mind we only pulled to 5000 RPM (cams dont make power till 5500-7000rpm) and rings aren't seated hence the lower boost #'s.

As you can see we got 511 hp@5k and 526 ft-lbs across the entire range with a max boost of 13.6PSI. Air/Fuel @11.7 across entire range, on the break-in tune :boobies:

Video of Dyno runs coming soon!

Attachments

• First Dyno.jpg
    First Dyno.jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 30

Rpm427sc

forum member
Reaction score
Update: Car made the 13 hour drive no problem. I could really feel the extra torque on the highway, the car just wants to go! Once I get back to NOLA I'll put it back on the dyno and tune for max power.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back