S197 Retrofits Thread

Discussion in 'Madd Retros' started by b.mad, Feb 7, 2018.

1. b.mad

b.mad Official Site Vendor

Just sharing some photos of the builds I am working on. This is for a S197 (05-09). Customer wants a blacked out reflector, Morimoto MH1 projectors, Demon eyes, and a Halo. Since these are customer provided headlights (aka used), the lens are extra foggy, so they will be restored as part of our build as best as possible so that it does not affect the lighting and most importantly, the look! This is one of the services that we provide if you want to save some money or use OEM housings. Once I finish the build, I will show the before and after and some light output photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Briefly put the headlights together to mock it up and get it ready for painting! These are the Mini Graphite shroud, and a good example of what it will look like with the chrome projector.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018 at 8:48 PM
    EBABlacknChrome likes this.
  2. b.mad

Bit of an update. This is the lens restored. Because its near impossible to get a like-new condition, we tried the best we can and got them looking pretty nice! Its clear enough to see the shitty varnish on the table.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018 at 8:52 PM
  3. b.mad

The customer wanted the housing "blacked out". So, we blacked it out! The reflector was painted gloss black, and so were the bezels to match the reflector. Gives it a nice even look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. b.mad

5. Wes06

Wes06 forum member

I did that with my retrofits, Im not 100% happy with it since the rear is open still to let humidity in, and had water get in when i washed it once. and the way the projector's were mounted into the housing wasnt super great.

But projector's are A+ compared to halogens and super happy with it

6. RocketcarX

RocketcarX 95% of my weight is fuel

Not to be a smart ass but it seems like you might start with the pair of aftermarket headlight for these kind of projects instead of spending your time polishing factory lens that will haze up in 6 months.
    I know I wouldn't put my name on something that high end only to leave a window open for the customer to bad mouth you when the choice he made to be cheap rears it's head.
    You can buy these things new for $100 a pair, I can only imagine you sent an hour or more doing the lens reconditioning so the time saved in labor should offset the cost of a fresh set of headlight assemblies.
    Never give the customer the option to be cheap, it will fuck you every time.

b.mad likes this.
  7. Brandon08GT

Brandon08GT forum member

I’d like to see updates of these when they are done. Definitely interested in having something similar done eventually.

8. b.mad

You are right about that. Just is why when I officially "release" the option on my site, they will come with a new housing. This was a build that I took on when I launched, and honoring what I said I was going to do.

But you are absolutely right on that.

9. b.mad

Whenever you are ready, just send us an email or message. The option will be available on our site after this build. Where you can use the Forum discount code!

10. RocketcarX

RocketcarX 95% of my weight is fuel

You work and attention to detail is good, it's hard to make these things look so nice as a finished product. Keep up the good work.

11. Brandon08GT

Brandon08GT forum member

Will do. I actually bought some used headlights and fog lights a couple of days ago and waiting for them to come in to see the kind of condition they are in. I tried wet sanding my stock ones and apparently I’m not good at it. They didn’t turn out so well.

12. b.mad

Thank you!

13. b.mad

Haha. Funny considering Rocket and I were just talking about it.

If you can, share some pictures of them and see if thats something you want to work with, or if you want to just get a new set.

14. b.mad

Here are some more shots of me just slapping things off. Nothing permanent. I was messing with the Halos and Demon eyes, and man these things are bright!! Got them de-pinned and mocked up the shroud for the halo. For now, check it out!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brandon08GT likes this.
  15. Brandon08GT

Brandon08GT forum member

I’m hoping the used ones I just bought look as good as in person as they do in real life.

Gonna send a PM with some questions.