S197 V8 Engine temp gauge normal position

Laurence Dunn

Reaction score
Greetings all from the UK. I have a nice 2007 Redfire GT/CS. I'm new to the S197. Where does the temperature needle sit on these cars in normal running mode. Todays temp here was 10c or around 52F. My gauge sits at 45% from cold, is this normal? Or hot?

Mustang-GT-California-Special-4-scaled.jpg

Samos3

Reaction score
That's about where mine sits.
Be aware, though, most gauges like that now are not really gauges. More like three position warning lights. They will read 'cold' or 'normal' or ' hot', not a real sweep that gradually moves around to indicate temp. If you are running a little hot they will still sit at ' normal' until you are definitely hot and then move.
I cannot say that the Mustang gauge is one of those or not, so until that is confirmed, don't take that needle position to be an absolute indication.

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
^^^ It is exactly this. By the time the gauge actually reads hot, you will probably have already known that it has overheated.

Jwood562

Reaction score
looks normal.

also are there any UK spec parts different from US?

Back in my honda days that was all the craze, JDM and UKDM rare parts

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
I don’t think Ford ever built a UK spec S197 since they didn’t officially export them to there. They didn’t start doing that until the S550 came out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jwood562

Reaction score
I don’t think Ford ever built a UK spec S197 since they didn’t officially export them to there. They didn’t start doing that until the S550 came out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ah, good to know. welcome to the s197 club

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Greetings all from the UK. I have a nice 2007 Redfire GT/CS. I'm new to the S197. Where does the temperature needle sit on these cars in normal running mode. Todays temp here was 10c or around 52F. My gauge sits at 45% from cold, is this normal? Or hot?

Mustang-GT-California-Special-4-scaled.jpg

That's normal. The 4.6 3V engine came with a 192*F (89*C) and that's the temperature where the engine usually operates. The electric fan cycles on/off at regular intervals to maintain the temperature within a narrow range.

That's about where mine sits.
Be aware, though, most gauges like that now are not really gauges. More like three position warning lights. They will read 'cold' or 'normal' or ' hot', not a real sweep that gradually moves around to indicate temp. If you are running a little hot they will still sit at ' normal' until you are definitely hot and then move.
I cannot say that the Mustang gauge is one of those or not, so until that is confirmed, don't take that needle position to be an absolute indication.

The second line on the left that demarcates the beginning of the normal temperature zone is at ~140*F (65*C). Thereafter the gauge needle rises slowly until it hits the middle at ~195*F (90*C). I don't know at what temperature the needle will begin to move from the middle to the right (I've never experienced it and hope I never do!). My guess is that the far right of the normal temperature zone is at ~240*F (115*C) with the hot zone beginning at ~250*F (120*C).

also are there any UK spec parts different from US?

Nope. Since the S197 was never officially sold at Ford stealerships anywhere in Europe, all models that ARE in the old continent are US spec LHD personal imports with the engine rated at 300hp (304PS).

DieHarder

Reaction score
That's normal. The 4.6 3V engine came with a 192*F (89*C) and that's the temperature where the engine usually operates. The electric fan cycles on/off at regular intervals to maintain the temperature within a narrow range.

The second line on the left that demarcates the beginning of the normal temperature zone is at ~140*F (65*C). Thereafter the gauge needle rises slowly until it hits the middle at ~195*F (90*C). I don't know at what temperature the needle will begin to move from the middle to the right (I've never experienced it and hope I never do!). My guess is that the far right of the normal temperature zone is at ~240*F (115*C) with the hot zone beginning at ~250*F (120*C).

Nope. Since the S197 was never officially sold at Ford stealerships anywhere in Europe, all models that ARE in the old continent are US spec LHD personal imports with the engine rated at 300hp (304PS).

I have experienced an overheating condition once when the fan failed so I pulled over quick as soon as I noticed it. Luckily no engine damage. The gauge is analog and normally the needle sits in the center. I added another water temp sensor and placed it in the upper radiator hose which you can see just above the water tank. According to digital gauge (Innovate) I'm running around 180 deg moving at freeway speeds (replaced the thermostat) and up to 210 sitting in traffic where the fan will come on and cool it down to around 190 or thereabout. And I upgraded the fan to a 7 blade GT500 unit.

IMG-2305.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg

Last edited:

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Temp guage was always pointing 12 o'clock on mine at normal operating temp. Both, v6, and coyote.
However, the temp guage does actually work as a guage. I logged coolant temp on track after I noticed my temp guage climb on the backstretch at Watkins glen. Obd port confirmed my temps were climbing in to low 220* range. Made the guage reach about 2/3 of normal. It also climbs gradually from cold to operting temp, matching the temp of heat from the climate controls.

JC SSP

Reaction score
upload_2023-4-22_13-52-23.jpeg

GT500 top and stock bottom. (Pic off internet)

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
On my 2010 (4.6L), temp gauge is just below 1/2. Only time I had it higher than that, was when the resistor for the low speed fan circuit burned up, along with the relay that shunts out the same resistor. At that point the entire heat gauge turns RED. It will also go into limp mode, shutting off every 2nd cyl.

It's an actual gauge. I can match / corelate temp readings with my aeroforce gauges plugged into obd port.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Me too, I know the oil pressure gauge is not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My oil gauge does not budge, once eng on, regardless of rpm. With eng on, gauge reads midway..and stays put. What the hell was ford thinking ?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
On my fox, the factory oil pressure gauge used to work, with the factory bell shaped oil sender. Those used to go bad often. When I had to replace it, I had to get a smaller replacement "updated" sender. Gauge now just sits in the middle.

Back