S550 Mustang Suspension and Powertrain Discussion

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
There isn't an S550 section on this forum yet (please make one, Kimmer!) so I'm going to plop this in Corner Carver section, hoping it is OK. I've been active on another handful of forums and social media streams today as everyone goes gaga over the 2015 Mustang. Lots of lust, lots of hate, and a lot of confusion. This is not "my thread", and I'm hoping we can all discuss the emerging info about the new Mustang here, mainly having to do with suspension and power (aka: the Corner Carving stuff). If you learn something, please add it here. :helpme:

So the 2015 Mustang release frenzy is in full swing. Many of you know Vorshlag and we fully intend to procure an S550 Mustang GT as soon as it becomes available. I've been trying to get info about this chassis for months but all of my sources have been tight lipped or misinformed, heh. The introduction today has been interesting but not 100% chock filled with useful data.

2015-mustang-22-L.jpg

Since this is Corner Carvers section, let's ignore whether you think it is ugly or pretty and talk here about the changes to the suspension and V8 power (personally I could care less about the carryover V6 or 305hp Ecoboost 4... neither will hold a candle on a road course to the improved 5.0 V8, sorry). I found the best pictures showing the changes to the suspension and 5.0 motor in this Augoblog article's gallery: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/05/2015-ford-mustang-official-photos-reveal-info/

2015-lowered-L.jpg

Our photochopped 2015 Mustang showing lowered stance and Forgestar F14 wheels. Original image from TIME magazine

The shape of the images in that gallery was funky and hard to analyze, so I have recropped and rearranged the info about the suspension and 5.0 engine into these 4 pictures, which can each be clicked for larger versions. I have some initial comments about each picture below it.

Front suspension looks to be completely new, with no carryover parts. The strut tops, struts, lower control arms and spindle are all different. Gone are the beer can sized front LCA bushings but in the place of the 1-piece arm is now a 2-piece arrangement.

Obviously the rear suspension has gone from a live axle to IRS, and this rendering of the set-up shows us that it is a modern 5 link system with toe control. Will it work or will it suck? Hard to say from pictures alone. Initially I had no idea where this came from but we've since figured it out. The rear upper shock mounts is a weird 2-bolts-thru-the-side mount, which I suspect could be a clue about where this comes form.

There looks to be some changes to the 5.0 engine - with the best parts of the Coyote and Boss302 motors kept - and luckily they've kept the Coyote intake manifold, which from our testing makes more power than the admittedly better looking Boss302 manifold at all RPM levels below 6500. The dreaded Boss302 engine oil "heater" (aka: "oil cooler") seems to be on this engine, however, so we will be working on a fix for that early on. This system is somewhat crude and uses radiator coolant through a sandwich plate above the oil filter to "cool" the oil. It works terribly in the 5.0 track pack and Boss302 engines, but maybe they got it right on the 2015?

New high flow ports sounds promising, as does the large camshaft profiles, so long as they didn't kill the lower RPM power that the Coyote 5.0 is so good at. Forged crankshaft and sintered rods are a carryover from what I can see but larger valves and stiffer valve springs sound like an upgrade. Looks like the same tubular steel shorty header carries over as well.

Nobody has a solid power number for the "new" 5.0 other than "it will make more than 420hp/390tq", which is what the 2013-14 model GT motors made. Like the C7 Corvette I suspect that the Ford drivetrain engineers will be tweaking the final engine and tuning package until weeks before production and we won't know the final power number until just before ordering starts. I suspect it will be rated around 440-450 hp, but don't quote me because that's just a guess based on what Ford has done in the past when introducing a new model but with a mostly carry over engine. This car will have the same MT-82 Getrag 6-speed, as our Tremec rep told us they didn't get the bid for the GT. But we're hopeful that there will be a Tremec Magnum XL direct shift transmission in the "Voodoo" powered version in the future...

Of course when Vorshlag gets our hands on a car it will be weighed, measured, dyno'd and tracked tested - starting within minutes of delivery.

Last edited:

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
A racer just sent me this link....

http://www.falconforums.com.au/show...egral-Link-Suspension-under-Fusion-and-Mondeo

Page4_zps37f8e90a-M.jpg
2015mustang-rearsusp-M.jpg

Left: Mondeo. Right: S550 Mustang

So the S550 seems to be based on the Mondeo/Fusion rear suspension. Have already contacted some folks who have worked on those...

Later in the day a friend of mine at a Ford dealership just sent me this PDF link, which has the images I found elsewhere above but some extra explanations: http://www.at.ford.com/SiteCollectionImages/2013_NA/December/M/Files/Suspension_Factsheet.pdf

Since I don't trust websites to keep links to PDFs alive forever, and some folks cannot view PDFs as easily as JPEG files, I converted it to a JPG, with a higher rez (200 dpi) image linked above.

Only after testing IRS-equipped Mustang mules did engineers discover that the old front suspension was the limiting factor. The resulting double-ball-joint setup—a first for Ford, and not unlike the suspension in the BMW 3 Series, which they studied—ditches crossmembers for a light, stiff subframe. The rear is based on an existing architecture used on the Fusion and others; it was designed from the start to handle the Mustang’s high torque loads.

The excellent Road and Track article I quoted above agrees - The S550 rear is based on Fusion/Mondeo rear.

Page8_zps53882884-M.jpg

The front suspension sounds pretty damned good but what will happen to the geometry in the rear when we lower it 2"? Not sure yet. And I'm bummed about the Performance Package having the 15" 6-pot brakes and 3.73 gears, two very limiting items. As we've seen, virtually no 18" diameter wheel fits over the existing GT500's 15" front brakes, so realistically racers would be limited to 19" tire costs/availability. Funk that noise.

The Perf Pack will come with 15" front brakes, 19x9/19x9.5" wheels, and 3.73 gears, among other items

This 19" or larger wheel restriction is a rather large limitation, and like it says in many racer books (like ThinkFAST) first pick the tires you want to run and build around that. Well, for my uses (time trial, autocross, and some street tire competitions) there is not a good 19" tire option, so I will likely get the base GT which has the current 14" 4-piston Brembo front brakes. All of the cars come with 13.0" rear discs, and we've had pretty darned good luck with the 14" Brembos for the last three and a half years...

Doesn't that front lower lip look awfully tall on the 2015 pic above, compared to this? Our 2011 is only lowered 2" and has a 1" spacer under the lower valance

Lots of good stats compiled at the bottom of this article: http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/features/1403_2015_ford_mustang_revealed/viewall.html

My dealer friend just told me they should be able to start taking orders in MAY of 2014. That means.... add 6 weeks, factor in Union labor, carry the 1... maybe July deliveries?? My question is: So what happened to April 17th 50 year anniversary?

This late Summer/early Fall delivery schedule totally screws my plans of racing an S550 in NASA TT2 for 2014. :( NASA Eastern States Championship at Road Atlanta is August 29-31st, with a test event August 1-3rd. Yikes, that is gonna be too tight...

More soon...

B2B

forum member
Reaction score
I would think the first upgrade would be to get Whiteline to make replacement bushings for the whole rear suspension. The Cobra IRS I swapped into my SN95 was a nightmare before replacing all the bushings. I'm guessing Ford is using some nice soft rubber bushings to keep NVH down...

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
this suspension has NOTHING to do with fords last attempt at a IRS stang.

we will really have to wait and see if it needs improving and how.

with the exception of springs and shocks it looks like it will be costly to upgrade and will take some R&D/engineering skill to improve upon other parts like the control arms.

if people plan to lower this sus looks like it will need more adjusting then previous versions due to all the pieces moving in different directions. And I know for fact that thing is just sitting WAY to high for some people.

However, we will have to wait until we get behind the wheel to see what it actually needs. It is wiser to give a car what it needs then then to give it what you want it to have.

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
this suspension has NOTHING to do with fords last attempt at a IRS stang.

we will really have to wait and see if it needs improving and how.

with the exception of springs and shocks it looks like it will be costly to upgrade and will take some R&D/engineering skill to improve upon other parts like the control arms.

if people plan to lower this sus looks like it will need more adjusting then previous versions due to all the pieces moving in different directions. And I know for fact that thing is just sitting WAY to high for some people.

However, we will have to wait until we get behind the wheel to see what it actually needs. It is wiser to give a car what it needs then then to give it what you want it to have.

Welcome to the IRS world....

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
So Terry how come no 345/30/19 Hoosiers? 26.8"....

The ONLY good 19" street tire I could find is a 285/35/19 RE11.

jmauld

forum member
Reaction score
The front suspension looks similar to the 90's Nissan front suspension. But it looks like ford addressed the binding issue that was inherent to the Nissan design. Although, it looks like they might have introduced another binding point, with the way the tension link mounts to the knuckle.

Also, looks like there might be issues with how low you can go before the swaybar and tension link try to share the same space.

Last edited:

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
When are people going to stop comparing this IRS to the absolute shit designed and comprimised IRS in the 03-40 Cobra? Deer Lord

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
When are people going to stop comparing this IRS to the absolute shit designed and comprimised IRS in the 03-40 Cobra? Deer Lord

When someone gets one in their hands and runs the numbers is when I imagine they will stop... I'd be more worried about the fact that hte IRS shares a lot of commonality with the Mondeo suspension and the goofy rear shock mounting. Why Ford didn't give us rear coilovers is beyond me so it looks like we get more of that shit.... the motion ratio on the shock is pretty "blegh" too. I reserve full judgement until we get the cars in our hands but I have a feeling the IRS is going to have some huge spring rates relative to the front with some pretty "epic" shock forces too. Even the rear swaybar mounting is kinda janked up. It actually looks like the S197 rear bar without the drop mounts for the middle section and a live axle to span between them! :)

The comment about doubling anti-squat, anti-lift and anti-dive force is pretty interesting... the last IRS car I can think of with high anti-squat values is a pretty popular drift car (240Z)... so I wonder how much we are going to get of each. I imagine I am going to be LOVING the Corner-Carvers.com discussion on the geometry.

As for me, I don't think it is any secret where I'm going. Next year is basically screwed up for me anyway with the Police Academy but 2015 I will be rocking a 2015 Mustang 2.3L, probably the Performance Package (14" Brembo's up front and Torsen diff out bacK? yesh please!) in whatever ST class they place us in. I'm HOPING for STU... 285's, around 3000lbs, mid 300's in HP/TRQ in ST trim should make for a decent competitor to the STi's and Evo's... I would think anyway. I'm willing to try! For sure expect a build thread on the car and expect to see it at Nationals in 2015 if I can get there! If it gets placed in STX, I'll run it there too as I think it might be a better candidate than any S197 is.

Terry, I would expect to see the SVT variant of the S550 chassis at the April anniversary. I think order banks may open up on that day too for fall delivery (which Ford has confirmed for the Convertible anyway).

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Hey here's some availability info for y'all- according to my friend at the Blue Oval, job 1 is either starting or has started, and we MIGHT see 2015's in July. No Shelbys or anything until mid-2015 at the soonest, first one is most likely a 700-ish HP Trinity-powered GT500.

So...I guess I'm ordering my S550 about a year from now! December deals...they'll have been out for a while, no markups(?) will at least be on job 2 if not 2016 MY, and I'll get it in Feb/March 2015, just in time for that year of autox.

The only challenge- I have to not dump money in the current car! And...I'm getting orange.

lost won

Reaction score
2015 Deliveries???

Have to agree with Terry, above. Looks like late summer deliveries may be too late for 2014 events. May have to plan on what we've already got.

My dealer out west here thinks he will have product for sale by the 50th anniversary, but me thinks this is wishful thinking.

Also have to agree with many that changes bring new problems to solve, further pushing the race ready dates back to fall 2014.

All that said, most of the changes look encouraging so far. If the stock machine is better, i.e. lighter, stronger, maybe we're at least going in the right direction.

P.S. Orange??? No, No, No. Just like Corvettes - All real Mustangs are Race Red; the rest are just mistakes.....:)

Last edited:

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
I played with the colors on the new mustang page, black looks the hottest.

However if I really don't plan on owning another black car anytime soon, so ruby red it is. A dark color, but should not be the micro scratch nightmare that is black paint.

Whiskey11

Reaction score
I played with the colors on the new mustang page, black looks the hottest.

However if I really don't plan on owning another black car anytime soon, so ruby red it is. A dark color, but should not be the micro scratch nightmare that is black paint.

Ruby Red is essentially Candy Apple Red/Redfire of my generation... it shows microscratches just like any other car does. Not as bad as black, but certainly not as tolerant as white is.

I'm interested in the Guard color... it looks like an interesting Green/Grey color. Something I'd like to see in person before ordering.

NoTicket

forum member
Reaction score
So I just got my first Mustang this year. Are you guys all hardcore Mustang only guys? This car seems interesting, but if the GT is around $5k more than the current one would it still be a no brainer?

Edit: And I mean, realistically it seems like they are going to be positioning the GT in the Boss range... At least that is what they seem to be hinting at with all of the ways they are spinning its performance.

Whiskey11

Reaction score
So I just got my first Mustang this year. Are you guys all hardcore Mustang only guys? This car seems interesting, but if the GT is around $5k more than the current one would it still be a no brainer?

Edit: And I mean, realistically it seems like they are going to be positioning the GT in the Boss range... At least that is what they seem to be hinting at with all of the ways they are spinning its performance.

I'm a Mustang fan only in the sense that I really think they are great performance bargains. I'm a car enthusiast at heart and wouldn't bat an eyelash if Chevy came out with a better Camaro or really any sports car with respect. I don't think I could convince myself to drive a Honda and call it a sports car, but I'm sure I'd try.

The fact of the matter is that new cars are expensive... the current GT's get expensive fast and I'm sure by the time you add in all those "must have" options they get pretty dang expensive. The nice thing is that it is JUST a Ford so you should have some working room on price and can find a dealership willing to work with you. I'm not sure that the GT will be that expensive... I think they start at like 29k now right? 32.5k seems like a decent starting place given the list of standard features now... It is plenty high for the people Ford is trying to appeal to... I just hope the 2.3L isn't overly priced...

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Great thread.

I haven't seen anything on transmission improvements other then paddle shifters for the auto.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Great thread.

I haven't seen anything on transmission improvements other then paddle shifters for the auto.

I saw "reworked linkage" somewhere. Hopefully this means they haven't used rubber and ty-raps again...

Whiskey11

Reaction score
I saw "reworked linkage" somewhere. Hopefully this means they haven't used rubber and ty-raps again...

They did mention shorter throws on that same line... I just wish that the damn thing was transmission mounted and not chassis mounted. I HOPE it's transmission mounted but knowing Ford, save as much money as possible so reuse as much as possible...

Auto is supposedly getting a lighter casing too and rev matching... Motortrend reported rev matching on the Manuals too but I don't think so.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back