S550 Performance Pack Brake Pad Questions

Budwise

forum member
Reaction score
I'm signed up to go to MSR Cresson in March for a total of 8 twenty minute sessions. I'll have maybe 5000 miles at most on the car by that time, all DD duty so the OEM pads should still be in pretty good shape.

My question is, has anyone had much experience yet tracking with the OEM pads? Did they withstand the abuse and did you feel you needed more bite?

What I want to avoid is burning up the pads by the end of the first day and get stuck in line at the shop trying to get new pads and missing seat time.

I know the front uses the same pads as the 2014 GT500, but apparently there are no rear pads yet from anyone? One race shop recommended I go with Hawk DTC 60's on the front and just use the OEM pads on the rear. I don't plan to get new rotors every year just for 2-3 track weekends though so I'm considering getting something more mild like HPS or HP-Plus's or a Carbotech XP8. I'm also leery of running such an aggressive pad up from with OEM in the rear. I've heard that is a no-no, right?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
If I were you, I would buy another set of OEM blanks or Autozone blanks (lifetime warranty) and buy some track pads. Take your current pads and rotors off and save those for your street stuff. Put the track rotors and pads on and go get it. There is no way stock pads will last on a track day if you can push the car. I don't know what track pads to tell you to get for your car, but a DTC 60 sure would beat the OEM pads in a major way.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
The problem seems to be that track pads are not readily available for the S550 yet. Tire Rack doesn't list any pads for a GTPP at all.

Norm

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
The problem seems to be that track pads are not readily available for the S550 yet. Tire Rack doesn't list any pads for a GTPP at all.

Norm

The OP says the pads are the same as the GT500, up front.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Caltech has their full line of compounds for the 6 piston brembos. I'd get some XP10's and hit the track

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
Caltech has their full line of compounds for the 6 piston brembos. I'd get some XP10's and hit the track

I'm assuming you meant Carbotech? :p

Carbotech can do some impressive things with brake pads, including custom making you some. You could always order a set of factory rear brake pads and send them off to expedite their production. Or call them and see if they don't already have those available.

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score

Well, if they're from CalTech, then you know that they're at least properly engineered, and probably made with space age materials ... :D

Budwise

forum member
Reaction score
So Mike Jr from Carbotech called me back. He said they sent a GT500 pad out to someone and it got sent back because it didnt fit right so right now they have nothing. That said Hypermotive sells DTC60's that they said they've run with before and they work fine.

http://www.hypermotive.com/hawk-dtc-60-front-pads-6-piston-brembo-13-14-gt500-15-mustang-gt/

Seems like I may not have a choice but to go with OEM pads for now unless I want to take a risk on ordering something that may not work right.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Uhhh....yeah. Caltech, brought to you by galaxy S5 autocorrect

Budwise

forum member
Reaction score
UPDATE: I contacted Bruce at Full Tilt Boogie Racing and he's sending me some Ferodo DS2500 pads to test fit.

Budwise

forum member
Reaction score
Installed the Ferodo DS2500's without issue. They are slightly shorter than OEM but the holes and notches line up perfect. Performance seems good so far, no squealing or noise at all but I'll know more at my next event at the end of the month.

brakes4.jpg

brakes3.jpg

brakes2.jpg

brakes1.jpg

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back