Saleen 20's Weight and Cons for street

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score
Ok guys I've had 20X8 and 20X10 bullits in the past. They were pretty heavy and road a little rougher on the street vs stock 17's, but they felt wayyy better in the turns.

I'm looking at a new set of wheels and tires and love having fun on the street and would like to take the car on more road trips.

What is the weight for the black or any 20 inch saleen 7 spoke wheels? Are they THAT much heavier than stock 17's? Also are there any draw backs of cutting turns hard on these larger wheels? Such as steering components ect. ?

Thanks

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score
Ok guys I've had 20X8 and 20X10 bullits in the past. They were pretty heavy and road a little rougher on the street vs stock 17's, but they felt wayyy better in the turns.

I'm looking at a new set of wheels and tires and love having fun on the street and would like to take the car on more road trips.

What is the weight for the black or any 20 inch saleen 7 spoke wheels? Are they THAT much heavier than stock 17's? Also are there any draw backs of cutting turns hard on these larger wheels? Such as steering components ect. ?

Thanks

less side wall kinda sucks

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score

Of course they rode a little rougher on the street... You've stretched a rubberband around an aluminum thimble and called it a tire... No sidewall (to speak of) means that the tire is contributing that much less to the net wheel rate (spring, plus tire compliance, plus bushing compliance). You could keep the same, cushy ride, by going with good dampers and softer springs, but...

I also bet that the stock 17's were shod with stock rubber, which (Sorry, Sam!) generally sucks for just about everything. The 20's probably had a "super/ultra/maximum performance summer tire" on it, and THAT is most likely why you're feeling all the grip in the corners. It's not from the wheel, it's from the tire.

All good, but something is going to have to take a lesser priority between grip (fun) and treadwear/ride comfort.

30+lbs for just the rim???? Seriously???? If you're not thrilled with the ride quality of the ultra-low profile tires that you have to run on the 20's, you may want to think about going to a more "standard" size of tire, with some decent amount of sidewall to it. 255/45 (f) and 285/40(r) in 18" will maintain the stock net height, but still be very comfortable to drive on. If you use good rubber, it'll also be grippy. I'm not a fan of staggered tire sizes on our chassis (understeer anyone?), but those are the stock sizes on the GT500, and they're comfortable for an all-arounder. Staying with a "square" tire setup, I would shoot for 275/40-18. Still enough sidewall that at normal inflation it will smooth out the pavement a little bit, but if you pump up the pressure, you'll get pretty good road feel, grip, and turn-in response.

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a fan of "Dub" wheels on the S197, unless the car is completely slammed, to the point where it's just about undrivable.

Stangmeister9

The Member
Reaction score
Remember what part of the site you posted this thread in. we are all more concerned with handling, speed and braking in this section. all of which 20" rims will adversly affect. larger wheel = heavier tire. larger wheels/tires = more stress on brakes. larger wheels/tires = more rolling mass. all which will look good, but will do nothing for your overall performance.

if you look at my sig, i have 20's (which i just sold) loved them on the street, but would never, ever run on the track! it really is a matter of preference and what you are going to be doing with your car 9 times out 10.

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score
I figured I would be told all of this and just wanted to make sure.

Didn't really care how harsh it was on the street with 20's. Wasn't that bad. I wont go 18's because of prices of the tires are just crazy. I can stay 17 or move to 20. 20" tires are less to buy than 18"s right now. It looks like a better choice would be to stick with my 17X8's and slap a decent set of tires on and see how things go. I thought the stock tires were OK...guess I'm wrong. They don't grip from a stop but I figured it wouldn't with the size they are.

What about a decent set of tires for 17X8's?

Kaldar142

Reaction score
Just for the record, just because wheels are bigger (ie 19", 20") doesn't necessarily mean they perform worse due to their weight.

The DPEs I'm getting are 19x11 and weight 21lbs. Most 18s are not even that light. So you shouldn't always generalize 19s/20s with being heavy and poor performance. If you go with cheap 20" saleen wheels or any of those cheap typical 20" mustang wheels 9 times out of 10 they will be ungodly heavy.

I mean, many Porsches run 19/20s but because they are light, quality and very expensive wheels, they generally don't sacrifice performance. But, like I said... It ain't cheap.

I will be running 18x10 RPf1s for the track mostly due to tire cost and it's much easier to get tires for 18s. Not to mention I don't want to beat up my nice wheels.

Last edited:

Bizzyb0nes

forum member
Reaction score
FYI...factory saleen 20x10 with the pirelli's on them from the factory were upwards about about 70lbs per rim/tire combo...and no..thats not a typo. If you've ever driven one...you'll notice the car feels fairly lackluster stock, even though they make about 380rwhp ...its bc of all that rotational mass...its hugely noticable

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. So here is the deal 19-20's if you have a big wallet get them if they are light.

17-18's are lighter and are wallet friendly.

17's have cheaper tires but less wheels to choose from.

I'm going to check out some 17's or 18's (if I can find tires under 200!). Also non stagger set up.

Good thread.

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
I will be running 18x10 RPf1s for the track mostly due to tire cost and it's much easier to get tires for 18s. Not to mention I don't want to beat up my nice wheels.

I thought I saw your car at Excessive and you were running a big brake kit. Any clearance issues with the Enkie RPF-1 18x10 wheels? Did you go with the +45mm offset to clear the BBKs for the front and rear - same offset used on the Roush 18x10 wheels?

LuckyH

forum member
Reaction score
Just to add another point (although it was hinted at). Obviously it depends on compound, road surface, tire size etc etc.

But a slightly taller sidewall than what is usually ran with the 20's on s197s will typically have a more gradual breakaway. So running an 18 with a slightly taller sidewall could be a bit more forgiving in an "oh shit" kind of moment. Useful if your going to be driving spiritedly more often.

Kaldar142

Reaction score
I thought I saw your car at Excessive and you were running a big brake kit. Any clearance issues with the Enkie RPF-1 18x10 wheels? Did you go with the +45mm offset to clear the BBKs for the front and rear - same offset used on the Roush 18x10 wheels?

Yes, i'm running the Stoptech ST40 with 14" 2piece rotors.

I don't have the RPF1s yet but i'm getting the 18x10 +38 ones.

I don't think there will be any clearance issues, RPF1s are designed for brake clearance

Reaction score
Thanks guys. So here is the deal 19-20's if you have a big wallet get them if they are light.
No..Only get them if you prefer look over performance.

17-18's are lighter and are wallet friendly.
You bet.

17's have cheaper tires but less wheels to choose from.
Maybe if you are limiting yourself to American muscle. There's a whole world out there..

I'm going to check out some 17's or 18's (if I can find tires under 200!). Also non stagger set up.
Wow. I don't remember paying that much, but I guess I did.

I see the Nitto NT-555 at Discount tire for 180.00 a piece. I'm not a nitto follower, so you may wanna ask about that.

Good thread.
...:puke:

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
I don't have the RPF1s yet but i'm getting the 18x10 +38 ones.

I don't think there will be any clearance issues, RPF1s are designed for brake clearance

Please let me know when you get them mounted. I'm looking forward to seeing pics and checking them out at Excessive or at the NVMC meeting.

Reaction score
So you're telling me 21lb 19x11 arn't performance orientated? lol

Honest answer: I don't think so. That is at least in our application. Who NEEDS a 19in rim? ALMS cars? How much do they cost? What about the tire selection? I can't think of any race cars with 19s, although I do see hoosiers available in that size.

If the guy is worried about spending 2 bills a tire, then he's going for looks and going to buy the cheapest thing that will fit the rims that he wants.

LuckyH

forum member
Reaction score
So you're telling me 21lb 19x11 arn't performance orientated? lol

Weight, diameter, and wheel design play a large role comparing wheels. A 19" wheel that's lighter than an 18" could very well have more rotational enertia. The stationary weight of a wheel isn't the only way to judge the affects a wheel will have on a vehicle.

Kaldar142

Reaction score
I see where youre coming from, but honestly they only difference in my eyes is the price, which isn't really a factor to me. There is a pretty decent 19" tire selection, not as good as 18" by any means though.

I can run RE-11s (amazing street tire) in 305s all around, seems performance orientated to me.

But, i was just putting that out there for the sake of arguement, i plan on running 18x10 RPF1s for the track. Just using my DPEs for street use.

If i didn't care about them getting beat up, i would just run the 19" DPEs at the track aswell.

Edit:

It may very well have more rotational inertia, but how is one to really find out that data?

In my case, i only see positives by going to the 19x11s. They are a wider wheel, about 9-10lbs lighter than my Roush wheels, and are a 3 piece wheel so if they ever get damaged i can easily replace the part that is damaged.

I'm sure the wheel is engineered properly as they are a very highly respected company, which MANY exotic cars run. I've seen them on a Ferrari enzo to a Porsche GT3 to a MB SLR

Last edited:

Kaldar142

Reaction score
Please let me know when you get them mounted. I'm looking forward to seeing pics and checking them out at Excessive or at the NVMC meeting.

Yeah man for sure, it won't be for a little while as we're still getting thru the winter.

Fuckin blizzard this weekend =/

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back