Saleen Install - Loud Ticking Noise

S197steve

Go Steelers!
Reaction score
Hey guys, about 6 weeks ago I installed a Saleen supercharger with the help of a few friends. Everything went great and the car runs just fine for all 700 miles I’ve put on it since then. The new power is very fun. That being said, after the install on the very first start up I noticed that the valve train seemed to be making a louder ticking sound than it was when I just had on my JLT intake. My friends (who are much more car savvy than me) said that it was normal and it only seemed louder because the hood was open and I wasn’t used to hearing the motor with the hood up. It sounded logical at the time and with them having much more experience and knowledge in this area, I didn’t question it.

Since then, I’ve shown a couple of my buddies the car and all of them have commented on how loud the motor is even just under idle. Granted, you can hear the supercharger itself but it sounds like the valve train that is making the most noise. I’ve put a towel over the injectors to see if that’s what the ticking sound was, but that didn’t appear to really muffle the sound much at all.

My question is, when installing a twin screw style s/c is it normal to experience increased valve train noise? If not, would could have happened during the install to cause this and why would the car run perfectly fine if there was a problem?

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
Phasers are known to make a ticking noise like you stated. Maybe one of them got damaged. Did you do any upgrades to the valvetrain? change out cams maybe?

S197steve

Go Steelers!
Reaction score
Phasers are known to make a ticking noise like you stated. Maybe one of them got damaged. Did you do any upgrades to the valvetrain? change out cams maybe?

Nope, it was a straight up supercharger install...

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
Well the only other thing I can think of is the increased ticking from the bigger injectors, but you stated that it's probably not that. Hopefully someone with a simliar setup can chime in and help you out.

bcb06gt

Reaction score
Are you sure it's valve train noise and not the rotors of the twin screw making the noise?

Did you check the oil level in the SC before installing? Was it new or used?

I got my Saleen SC slightly used and checked the oil before installing. Only thing I did was add the Supershaker to it.

Last edited:

S197steve

Go Steelers!
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's the valve train. I can hear the rotors in the supercharger spinning, but this is a ticking noise on top of that 'whirring' sound.

I did buy it lightly used, it was on one of Brents (owner of Brenspeed) cars. I haven't checked the oil in it, but the service intervals are every 50k miles and I'm WAY short of that.

Would posting a clip of the sound help? I can fire it up tonight and get a short clip of what it sounds like.

I'm hoping it's just noisey injectors, but I'm not sure. It's that uncertainty that has me a little concerned.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
thats the engine counting down to failure. tick tick tick boooom... j/k.

usafimj

Reaction score
^^^^I'm sure the op is glad that you just cursed him

zoomerman46

forum member
Reaction score
I'd vote for injector noise, they are pretty loud. There really isn't a way to muffle the noise they make.
I have the Saleen SC installed in my 05 since 11/2006. I think also it's the injectors making the noise. What size injectors do you have.?
I have the Cobra 39lb injectors and at idle I can hear then firing.

SLOPONY

Gotta love Stangs
Reaction score
i have a Saleen blower as well, it has been on my car since april of 2008. I hear a noise as well, and it drove me crazy until i talked to Jim jr. about it. apparently with these units, at idle or at throttle lift, youll hear a rattle that sounds like valves, or something mechanical. Apparently the rotors in the blower will rattle, and its kind of an un-nerving sound at first. Once you get used to hearing it and the motor not blowing up ( i have a fully built JDM stroker long block) you really dont even notice it.

That being said, I would still recommend getting a auto stethoscope, available at parts stores or sears, and do some listening, find the source for your self. Thats what i did, and sure enough it was a blower noise, and i heard it first hand. Made me sleep at night!!!

S197steve

Go Steelers!
Reaction score
Thanks zoomer & SLOPONY, that certainly makes me feel much better. I am running Bosch 39# injectors but will check out the auto stethescope and snoop around just to confirm your thoughts...

The good news is that I told my wife that I'm a little concerned about the noise as well... this might be an opportunity to get some new blower grind cams because my current cams "aren't good" anymore and that's what's making the noise. :naughty1:

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks zoomer & SLOPONY, that certainly makes me feel much better. I am running Bosch 39# injectors but will check out the auto stethescope and snoop around just to confirm your thoughts...

The good news is that I told my wife that I'm a little concerned about the noise as well... this might be an opportunity to get some new blower grind cams because my current cams "aren't good" anymore and that's what's making the noise. :naughty1:

lol, thats funny! I've pulled those type of excuses with the wifey a couple of times myself.

G.T

Reaction score
check with a stethoscope to narrow the source down.
injector noise is normal.
if the ticking is coming from the valve covers, then you have a bad hydraulic lash adjuster (tappet)
Part number is 5L1Z-6500-A, there's one for each valve so a total of 12 on each side.
(you'll also need a new phaser bolt once you remove it.. part number 3L3Z-6279-DA)

hope this helps

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back