Saleen series VI supercharger bypass issues

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
I have this issue after my new motor. Under heavy acceleration around 6k rpm my bypass valve opens and the car instantly losses power.
I have narrowed it to the bypass because if i disconnect it I have power up to 7k.
I have replaced the bypass actuator. It's wierd because the vacuum under normal driving holds it open and closes by spring pressure under boost.
Was wondering if anyone else experienced this issue?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
Saleen's bypass is different than most. It took me a bit to get my mind around it.
It work like this.

Car starts vacuum pressure opens the bypass. Once you get on it, it looses vacuum pressure and closes..

Here a a great example (not my car though)

Yes I do have the JDM vacuum line upgrade..

I am thinking that maybe the butteryfly for the bypass valve is getting stuck and not closing all the way and the boost is blowing it open.?

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
So once you get on it, it loses vacuum pressure and then closes, then how does the crankcase ventilate pressure?

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
Separate hose that goes from the intake to the valve cover

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
The problem with the PCV valve on the 05-10 GT models, is once you go beyond part throttle and into WOT/Boost, vacuum is no longer able to keep the PCV valve open from the intake manifold. So my question is, where does the crankcase ventilate when under pressure while the PCV valve is closed during WOT/Boost :shrug:

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The problem with the PCV valve on the 05-10 GT models, is once you go beyond part throttle and into WOT/Boost, vacuum is no longer able to keep the PCV valve open from the intake manifold. So my question is, where does the crankcase ventilate when under pressure while the PCV valve is closed during WOT/Boost :shrug:
The car doesn’t have a PCV valve.
Drivers side valve cover has positive crankcase pressure which is connected near the throttle body pulling any crankcase vapours back into the intake.

Now that I think of it pull the top off the blower and check if one of the bafffles welded to the intercooler broke off.
Mine did a couple of years ago and I welded it back on.

The gasket is reusable.
s-l640.jpg

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
Yeah. I heard of that. I checked the intercooler when i replaced the bypass. All good!

Is there anything that would cause the intake to produce vacuum again under boost? Something is causing th bypass to open up and like I stated if I disconnect the vacuum to the actuator I have power up to 7k.
Dont like disconnecting it because the idle gets way to choppy...more than normal.

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
Wait a second...where is the gasket you are referring too? Intercooler?

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
The car doesn’t have a PCV valve.
Drivers side valve cover has positive crankcase pressure which is connected near the throttle body pulling any crankcase vapours back into the intake.

Now that I think of it pull the top off the blower and check if one of the bafffles welded to the intercooler broke off.
Mine did a couple of years ago and I welded it back on.

The gasket is reusable.
s-l640.jpg
My question was how does the crankcase ventilate when positive crankcase pressure/vacuum is closed at the intake manifold during WOT/BOOST? As for using the term PCV valve, I meant to say what's referred to as the driver's side crankcase regulator valve.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When you replaced the bypass actuator, was the problem still there, or did it go away for awhile and then come back?

I've been through this and after two actuators figured out it was the intercooler as Peter pointed out above. But you stated your's is O.K. Wondering if the actuator ripped again (posts 45 and 51 below).

https://www.s197forum.com/threads/acceleration-problem.65429/page-3

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
Hey Alex! Its been a long time! (I bought your drag tires/wheels the last time we were in Germany in 2009). We are at K-Town this time.

To be honest I replaced it just before I put the car on the boat to come back to Germany. It may have only a few hundred miles (trip from Bremerhaven). I havent had the chance to get on it until recently. I take it to the auto skills shop and put a vacuum tester on it and report back.

Well looking back at some old threads I completely forgot that before I had this same issue and it was the butterfly getting stuck. I thought I fixed it but maybe its back...

Last edited:

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey Alex! Its been a long time! (I bought your drag tires/wheels the last time we were in Germany in 2009). We are at K-Town this time.

To be honest I replaced it just before I put the car on the boat to come back to Germany. It may have only a few hundred miles (trip from Bremerhaven). I havent had the chance to get on it until recently. I take it to the auto skills shop and put a vacuum tester on it and report back.

Well looking back at some old threads I completely forgot that before I had this same issue and it was the butterfly getting stuck. I thought I fixed it but maybe its back...

Yeah, I remember meeting up with you. Glad to see you're back in Germany. I finally left in 2012 just retired on 1 Dec 18 after 30 years. And what do I do? Go right back and work civil service. LOL... Hope you get it worked out.

also just a side note..
We are starting to see saleen blower intercooler breaking on the rear flap.

What rear flap are you talking about? The plate on the intercooler or the butterfly? The intercooler's been identified as breaking back at least 8-9 years.

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
How does the vacuum for the fuel pressure sensor work?
It is the same feed line that supplies the pressure to the bypass actuator.
I cant remember how the stock vacuum line was routed before I upgraded with the JDM upgrade.

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
Well that might be the problem...mine doesnt have one...

Aussie-Parnelli

Reaction score
Hi Mike
Brenspeed have been offering them for some time on Ebay, but I can't see one listed at present. May be worth contacting them

Tony
South Australia

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
I sent the supercharger out to be serviced and would suspect that it came back without it...

I figure that since i am going to open it up again might as well replace the butterfly valve and shaft. Going to test the actuator today..

Parts are expensive for these cars. Finding the HP actually stands for High Priced! Lol

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back