Acceleration Problem

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Old thread, but problem persists. Everything is in the first post.

An interesting development is my vac actuator just took a shit again and it's only about a year old. Why would a vac actuator develop a leak in such a short period of time? I'm thinking the problem is with the supercharger itself but I don't know how to troubleshoot that short of taking it off and send it it somewhere to have it checked out.

Any ideas?

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Old thread, but problem persists. Everything is in the first post.

An interesting development is my vac actuator just took a shit again and it's only about a year old. Why would a vac actuator develop a leak in such a short period of time? I'm thinking the problem is with the supercharger itself but I don't know how to troubleshoot that short of taking it off and send it it somewhere to have it checked out.

Any ideas?
The first test that I would perform would be to disconnect the bypass actuator vacuum line and plug the hose. This would keep the bypass closed and the blower in boost.

Make a couple of quick pulls to see if there is a difference.
This will tell you if the actuator is the culprit.

Pulling the blower apart is quite simple and only requires some anaerobic sealant to put it back together.

I would first pull the lid off to ensure that when you replace the bypass actuator it opens and closes fully.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The first test that I would perform would be to disconnect the bypass actuator vacuum line and plug the hose. This would keep the bypass closed and the blower in boost.

Make a couple of quick pulls to see if there is a difference.
This will tell you if the actuator is the culprit.

Pulling the blower apart is quite simple and only requires some anaerobic sealant to put it back together.

I would first pull the lid off to ensure that when you replace the bypass actuator it opens and closes fully.

Great to hear from you Peter...been awhile. Is the sealant for when the lid gets put back on? Once the lid is off, do I test the bypass valve with a vac pump on the actuator? Just trying to figure out the mechanics. Thanks...

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Great to hear from you Peter...been awhile. Is the sealant for when the lid gets put back on? Once the lid is off, do I test the bypass valve with a vac pump on the actuator? Just trying to figure out the mechanics. Thanks...
Hey Alex, good to hear from you too.
No. The lid has a reuseable gasket so you're good to go.
You can test the actuator with the vac pump as you described.
The anaerobic gasket maker is if you want to pull the rotors out of the blower case. It's quite simple and I could walk you through it if you wanted to check out the gears and bearings in there.
DSCN0481.jpg

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So, took the top off the S/C and I find this. Not the first time I've seen this as I know there's a thread or two around here about this and how to repair it.

Could this be the cause of my problem? Does this have an impact on airflow causing what I described on the first post?

pa7ajehe.jpg

myvune6e.jpg

suvymajy.jpg

2uburyha.jpg

Here's the thread I was taking about, although I am not having the grinding issues sevenleaf had. Just what's described in the first post.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12677&highlight=saleen+broke

Last edited:

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Crap...Water from the inter cooler dropped down to the screws. Now I have to take the whole thing out, pull the screws, clean them and re-install.

Bet this bitch doesn't come off again!

e9e2uje5.jpg

yte3u7ym.jpg

Last edited:

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The bypass actuator, which is a year old is leaking. Hope the cause was the boost problem caused by the broken part of the intercooler. I have a new actuator on the shelf.

todr4

forum member
Reaction score
Good luck. Some times I wish I had just kept my 93. Easier to work on and less problematic.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, all buttoned up and took her for a test drive. The acceleration problem did not surface, although it didn't do it all the time anyway, so I'll keep testing it this week.

One thing I definitely noticed is that it goes into boost a hell of a lot faster. I only ran it up to 10 psi of boost, but it smacked me against the back of my seat in a hurry.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this was the problem.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
If so, please send over pictures of the bypass valve being crushed and destroyed, or send it over, I would do it for you.

Nice to see it working finally.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If so, please send over pictures of the bypass valve being crushed and destroyed, or send it over, I would do it for you.

Nice to see it working finally.

Well, the actuator wasn't crushed but certainly ripped. Same thing that happened to the other one I replaced a year ago.

Good news is the acceleration problem did not surface again today, so I'll keep testing it this week. It definitely runs a lot stronger. I don't know how much power I was losing, but it feels like a lot.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349133102.256709.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349133113.644010.jpg

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was getting ready to dump it off at a shop and try to have them figure it out. $$$$

Ran it for about 60 miles on the freeway today and it ran strong...no issues. I'm psyched!!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back