SCT 2 Tuner issue....

mAnYsTyLeS

forum member
Reaction score
Had my car custom dyno tuned last year and had the tuner load two tunes for me...one 87 octane and one 93 octane.

A few weeks ago, I had my tuner send me an updated 93 octane tune for the "slow sensor response" via email so I uploaded it and everything went fine. Then after that, I had BamaChips send me a 93 octane tune for the "slow sensor response" and it uploaded fine as well.

So as of yesterday, I had the Bamachips 93 and the Custom 93. Last night, Doug had sent me ANOTHER 93 tune because the one he sent me would rev up to 3429049024082 at cold-startup and that obviously isn't good (he remedied the issue very quickly).

So before I started uploading the new tune, I figured I start fresh and clicked the "Erase files" button to clear all of the tunes (this does not affect the stock tune as stated by SCT). Once the tunes were cleared I can't upload anything now. It says the device is locked.

Can a custom tuner lock an SCT device so that nobody can use it but them???

Thank you.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Gus,

as I understand it they can lock certain parameter adjustments on the hand held and lock their tune, but not the hand held it self. If you bot the SCT from RS, I'd call over there and see if they can give you some guidance.

Buzzystang

forum member
Reaction score
IIRC, you may have to return the car to the stock tune to "unlock" the X2, then you can erase/upload the custom tune files.

Buzzystang

forum member
Reaction score
If you "unlock" from liveload, it will take one of the five unlocks allowed from the SCT 2. I'd avoid trying to unlock it from liveload if you can. Just try returning your car to the stock tune and see if that will allow you to upload new tunes to the SCT 2 before force unlocking it from liveload.

I try to make a habit of returning my car to stock whenever I mess with the SCT2, just to be safe. I don't do it all the time, but I should.

stlwagon

forum member
Reaction score
If you "unlock" from liveload, it will take one of the five unlocks allowed from the SCT 2. I'd avoid trying to unlock it from liveload if you can. Just try returning your car to the stock tune and see if that will allow you to upload new tunes to the SCT 2 before force unlocking it from liveload.

I try to make a habit of returning my car to stock whenever I mess with the SCT2, just to be safe. I don't do it all the time, but I should.
Good advice... If you corrupt the stock calibration you're stuck having to go to Ford for a reflash, and then the strategy isn't going to match and your custom tunes would no longer work.

mAnYsTyLeS

forum member
Reaction score
Well, I returned my car to stock and then unlocked the tuner using Live Load (and yes, the number went down to 4 out of 5 allowances for unlocking or whatever that bullsh*t means).

When I went to upload the tunes it allowed me to choose the file and rename the tune in slot 1. When I pressed add file it started the usual process of deleting the old file (even though there was nothing there) then once the first part was done (at 100%) and was supposed to upload the tune...I got an error that said something along the lines of "can't read device."

That doesn't make sense though because when it was going through the first process...I could see it doing something to my SCT (I saw a percentange and all that other stuff on the screen).

I called SCT but they're only available Mon-Fri when I'm at work :tdown:

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
And that's why I never upload the stock tune to the car before screwing around with the tuner. Now you're stuck until you either go back to stock or get the tuner working. Wouldn't take you very long, but still a PITA.

Are you sure you have the latest software from SCT? Their software is kinda finicky...may consider installing the latest version straight from their site and starting over. That's worked for me in the past.

mAnYsTyLeS

forum member
Reaction score
I know - I'm stuck with a stock tune which means I can't drive the car with the mods I have :(

I'm going to try re-downloading and re-installing all of the programs tonight. If not, I spoke to Rudy at SCT and he told me to email his some screen shots of the errors I'm getting. I'll post up some updates soon...

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I feel your pain...

I have a buyer for my old Xcal 2, and I wanted to make sure it was unlocked. So, I figured I could plug it into the car, and return to stock, and then plug the Predator in, and reload my tune. But... Noooooooooo. Now the car doesn't recognize the Predator. I talked to Adam, and I'm pretty much screwed. I have to trailer it up to him tomorrow so he can unlock/reload. I can't even drive the fuggin thing. Best I can do is put in my old SCT tune so I can get it on the trailer.

So, I have to miss a 1/2 day (or more) of work, and burn almost $100 worth of diesel to fix my bonehead mistake.

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
That's how Stanly and I met :2g1c:

Sold him the Predator with the procharger tune on it and many $100's and weeks later both the shop and DS found out the unit was some how locked by ATI and he could not use it for his intake and tune. Here's to unintentionally F@cking over your friends :bigbeer:

95PGTech

SN95s > all
Reaction score
I feel your pain...

I have a buyer for my old Xcal 2, and I wanted to make sure it was unlocked. So, I figured I could plug it into the car, and return to stock, and then plug the Predator in, and reload my tune. But... Noooooooooo. Now the car doesn't recognize the Predator. I talked to Adam, and I'm pretty much screwed. I have to trailer it up to him tomorrow so he can unlock/reload. I can't even drive the fuggin thing. Best I can do is put in my old SCT tune so I can get it on the trailer.

So, I have to miss a 1/2 day (or more) of work, and burn almost $100 worth of diesel to fix my bonehead mistake.

That is not your bonehead mistake, what you did should have worked. It's not your fault aftermarket handhelds are so...finnickey

mAnYsTyLeS

forum member
Reaction score
Well after I sent SCT a detailed email with screenshots this was their response...

"My next suggestion based on everything you have documented here about this issue would be to erase/reformat the device and then load your files back on. This should clear out any memory problems the device may be having in reference to your files and loading new ones."

The only problem is that he forgot to include the instructions to erase/reformat the device....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

So I sent him another email asking him how to do this - hopefully I can get it done tonight...

mAnYsTyLeS

forum member
Reaction score
He said that there is a button on the Live Load program that I press that does it for me (Erase Device). I'm going to do it tonight and see what happens.

Wish me luck and thanks for the help all!

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
That is not your bonehead mistake, what you did should have worked. It's not your fault aftermarket handhelds are so...finnickey
It turns out you are absolutely right. I trailered the car up to Adam today, and after a couple calls to Diablo and some head scratching, it turns out that the handheld was the problem. He got me another one, loaded my tunes, and off I went.

mAnYsTyLeS

forum member
Reaction score
I'm all set too. I reformatted the device and re-loaded my tune and I'm good to go :beer:

Hopefully with Doug's tune this "slow sensor" response code will take a hike!!

Cheers.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back