sct tune stopped in the process...car is down

thundr306

forum member
Reaction score
Called into your service dept and told me to contact sct. Well they are closed and i had to fill out an emergency contact form. Said they will contact me within 24hrs, but my car is dead.

If anyone has any info, im more than willing to listen.

Sct itsx tuner, was on my 93 tune and wanted to load 91 tune, it connected,let me choose my tune, started the download, then said programming unsuccessful...message timeout.

Now i cant do anything. When i turn the key on, it acts like its in the middle of a download. Cant load any tunes or even read codes.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I've heard the SCT units are voltage sensitive. Some people recommend hooking a trickle charger up to the battery while loading tunes.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I don't have the fancy SCT you've got, but my SCT X3 has done this a couple of times before. What I did to fix it was to disconnect the negative battery terminal on the battery. Turn on the headlights. No, they won't come on, but it will help to discharge the electrical system. Left it like that for 20 minutes. Turn off headlights and hook the battery back up.

While waiting during the above, I deleted the tune files off my tuner. Don't delete your stock tune file though. I then reinstalled the tune files after renaming them onto the SCT tuner. Hook it back up to the car and viola, it worked! The next time my SCT froze during an upload, I did the same thing and it worked again. Now, my SCT hasn't frozen up again in over a year.

I don't know why this works, but it has on my Mustang, a friends Mustang and also a Ford truck. If it works out for you, then you've got your car back. If not, you're in the same place you are now.

Good Luck!

thundr306

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks. Im going to try whatever I can. Need to go get a laptop amd cable to tie into this.

Last edited:

dmhines

KONA GT
Reaction score
I have had this problem with my iTSX. I discovered if I tried to load a tune immediately after car was running it failed. Pretty sure it had to do with the retained power feature. If retained power goes off in middle of tune load it craps out. Park car and let sit for a while with driver window down. Now do all programming by reaching through window. Do not open door. First set car back to stock then load your custom tune. I had same thing happen to me and this fixed it.

thundr306

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, just got back.

I tried dmhines idea since it would be quicker, but it did not work.

VTXfrank...I downloaded the sct software so I could move my files around. My tuner came with the three custom files already loaded onto it, so I don't have them save on my computer anywhere. When I move the files from "on device" to "available tunes" it says it will delete three custom tunes. Since I dont have them anywhere else, I am assuming I will lose them forever or until Bama opens back up.

thundr306

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know if I conveyed this in my first post but, as soon as I turn the key on(even without the tsx plugged in) the car acts like its in the middle of a tune...warning lights, bells, red dash lights, etc.

thundr306

forum member
Reaction score
So much for SCT within 24hr emergency service...contacted twice since 2:30pm yesterday with no response.

thundr306

forum member
Reaction score
Still no response...lucky I dont need it to drive to work tomorrow.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Yeah, being a holiday weekend, I doubted you'd hear anything back. That sucks tho. I bet you really wanted to be cruising around in that bad boy this weekend! I know I've driven mine a lot.

thundr306

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, being a holiday weekend, I doubted you'd hear anything back. That sucks tho. I bet you really wanted to be cruising around in that bad boy this weekend! I know I've driven mine a lot.

I didnt expect someone to be waiting for my phone call, but they claim an emergency service for broken down cars.

AMWill

AmericanMuscle.com
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this thundr306! I'm surprised the battery drain technique didn't work. Have you been able to contact SCT today?

Let me know if you still can't get a hold of them and I'll get in touch with them myself. I want to get your Mustang up and running ASAP!

Shane

thundr306

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this thundr306! I'm surprised the battery drain technique didn't work. Have you been able to contact SCT today?

Let me know if you still can't get a hold of them and I'll get in touch with them myself. I want to get your Mustang up and running ASAP!

Shane

Edit: car is still not running. Been in contact with SCT.

Last edited:

thundr306

forum member
Reaction score
I finally got a loaner tuner with my recovery file via Fedex. The car now starts and runs on the factory tune. Now I have to send my iTSX and the loaner tuner back and they can try to figure out the issue.

AMWill

AmericanMuscle.com
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Good to hear the Mustang is up and running!

I also sent you a PM. Get back to me at your earliest convenience!

Shane

thundr306

forum member
Reaction score
Got my iTSX back yesterday. Luckily I saved my tunes because they were gone off the tuner. Car is up and running again, but I still have my doubts.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Got my iTSX back yesterday. Luckily I saved my tunes because they were gone off the tuner. Car is up and running again, but I still have my doubts.

Nobody likes it when electrons start doing their own dance. Hope things keep working.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back