SCT Tuner Question

Road_Trip

Reaction score
Probably a dumb question, and I haven't seen an answer for it. It might be the wording I used when searching, but, here's the question anyway. I have a custom tune downloaded to the tuner and currently loaded on the car. I just received a new tune to try and I want to load that on the tuner. Can I download that second one on the tuner while I have my first tune currently loaded on the car? Or, do I need to revert back to stock, download the new tune on to the tuner, then load that on to the car?

Thanks!

Bibi2k

Reaction score
Yes, you can load the second one while you still have the other one on the device. My recommendation is return the vehicle back to stock so you can have it saved before you load the new one. Your SCT device is capable of saving more than 2 tunes.

Road_Trip

Reaction score
Awesome, thank you! Just wanted to make sure it wouldn't do anything weird with the tune being on the car. I've heard you shouldn't update the tuner firmware if you have a tune on the car, but wasn't sure about loading another tune onto the device.

crjackson

Reaction score
You can add the new tune to the SCT device with no other changes, but you MUST return to stock, before you can load the new tune to the car. It won’t work any other way.

Laga

Reaction score
You can add the new tune to the SCT device with no other changes, but you MUST return to stock, before you can load the new tune to the car. It won’t work any other way.
I haven’t had the stock tune to my car since 2006. Since that time, I’ve added a supercharger, camshafts, headers, and E85. Each required a new tune and multiple adjustments from Lito. Somewhere in the 25-30 different downloads range. Right now, I have 2, E85 and 1, 93 octane tunes. Along with a drag tune and road track tune loaded on my SCT4. I keep that in my car to adjust the tune to whatever fuel is available, and what track I’m at.
I have never returned the car to stock before a change , since that tune is long lost. I simply switch to the tune I need at the time.

07 Boss

Reaction score

I switch between my SCT tunes every year (smog tune) without reflashing it to stock. I even used the canned Diablo Tune that was in my car as my stock tune when I switched to SCT.

crjackson

Reaction score
Doesn’t work that way at all on the 2 2014 GT’s & 2 SCTX4’s I’ve owned.

There must be some way that it can be unlocked in the tune, or perhaps it’s firmware version differences, or PCM models.

I’m glad it works for you that way, I wish mine did. SCT told me it wasn’t possible, and in my case, SCT was correct.

I've had MANY tunes, and revisions. Every time I wish to change tunes, I have to return to stock first, and it won’t work any other way period (on my Mustang & my SCTX4).
I haven't had the stock tune to my car since 2006.
I even used the canned Diablo Tune that was in my car as my stock tune when I switched to SCT.
I can see how that would work (setting up a new device) that it would see any current tune as the stock tune, but I would guess that’s not the norm for new SCT users.

Could it be possible that earlier model PCMs/Tuners are different in that way?

Perhaps the OP would be so kind as to try loading his new custom tune and skip returning to stock, the letting us know if it worked for him.

Last edited:

Road_Trip

Reaction score
I can take a look and see if it'll let me. I've got my latest version on it right now, but I can try to roll it back later this afternoon and see what it does.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Doesn’t work that way at all on the 2 2014 GT’s & 2 SCTX4’s I’ve owned.

There must be some way that it can be unlocked in the tune, or perhaps it’s firmware version differences, or PCM models.

I’m glad it works for you that way, I wish mine did. SCT told me it wasn’t possible, and in my case, SCT was correct.

I've had MANY tunes, and revisions. Every time I wish to change tunes, I have to return to stock first, and it won’t work any other way period (on my Mustang & my SCTX4).

I can see how that would work (setting up a new device) that it would see any current tune as the stock tune, but I would guess that’s not the norm for new SCT users.

Could it be possible that earlier model PCMs/Tuners are different in that way?

Perhaps the OP would be so kind as to try loading his new custom tune and skip returning to stock, the letting us know if it worked for him.

The 2 people that have said they didn't return their ECU to stock are 4.6's, maybe that's the difference? Was the same PCM used for both engines?

I've always returned my '12 GT to stock before loading a new tune, never tried the other way.

crjackson

Reaction score
The 2 people that have said they didn't return their ECU to stock are 4.6's, maybe that's the difference? Was the same PCM used for both engines?

I've always returned my '12 GT to stock before loading a new tune, never tried the other way.
I’m thinking that must be the case, I’ve tried on my 2014 (heavily modified), and my wife’s 2014 (completely stock). Using 2 different SCTX4’s, neither would let me change tunes without returning to stock every time. I’ve tried more than once.

Also, I’d like for my current tune to be stored as stock, since an actual stock tune would be a really bad thing on my car. I just can’t seem to make that happen at all.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back