Shaker 500 question....

keeno

Mustang Freak
Reaction score
Just got a 05 with the shaker 500. I dont have an owners manual. Can an ipod be hooked up to run through this system? What is the "aux" button for? I have heard the 07-up system has a mini stereo cable hookup for an ipod..? If my 05's system wont work with an ipod, will the 07 -up system plug into the 05's wiring with no modifications? I dont want to use a "RF" contraption through the radio.

bcb06gt

Reaction score
There are two adapter inputs available: Ipod only (most around $175) or any audio ($60). I went with the any audio. The adapter has the red and white RCA connectors. I used an Ipod cable that connects from the bottom of my Iphone to the adapter (yes, the Ipod/Iphone cable has the white and red RCA leads). The cable also allows my phone to charge whenever it is connected (extra $5 over the standard cable). Works great.

Also, the cable I bought has a standard headphone (3.5mm I think) plug which will allow any MP3 player to be also played. Thus, my adpater is not Ipod/Iphone only. I leave the headphone plug coiled in the glove box. The Ipod/Iphone plug is run along the passenger console area to the "cup holders".

Total spent was $76.

Best part is if I am listening to music from my Iphone with the top down and a call comes in, the music quits playing so I know I call is coming in. I actually like this feature. Could never hear the phone with the top down cruising.

Last edited:

bcb06gt

Reaction score
Daisey chains into the radio's data plug. You unplug the data plug that is in the radio and plug it into the cable that comes with the adapter. The other end of the adapter cable then plugs into the radio.

bcb06gt

Reaction score
That was one of the more expensive options (they are iPod direct and controlled from the head unit). Brandmotion is the other option.

The adapter I have plays any iPod/iPhone or mp3. The head unit doesn't control the iPod.

bcb06gt

Reaction score
Does this unit utilize the 12pin (I think 12 pin) data cable of the stock radio? Did you unhook a rectangle plug from the back of the stereo and used one that came with the kit?

How did you wire the 12V to the device?

I have an idea to try.

Last edited:

Infamous05

forum member
Reaction score
I have the i simple and mine doesn't use aux button you have to tune your radio to 87.9 and flip the toggle, this then kills the radio signal and plays my iphone through the speakers of the car and charges as well. best 99.99 i ever spent. Sound quality is amazing and mine does the mute and plays my ringtone over the speakers. I can also talk on mine but too much background noise to have a conversation.

keeno

Mustang Freak
Reaction score
Does this unit utilize the 12pin (I think 12 pin) data cable of the stock radio? Did you unhook a rectangle plug from the back of the stereo and used one that came with the kit?

How did you wire the 12V to the device?

I have an idea to try.
Yes it uses the big plug and a smaller plug (2 out of 3). Just wires between the back of the head unit and plugs into the wiring harness. Plug n play. When I first hooked it up, it was playing the ipod properly the aux button was working fine. I was not able to control the ipod from the head unit though. Instructions stated if not able to control from head unit, to flip the #1 dipswitch on and it should work. Also said to make sure the ipod had the latest firmware updates. Havent figured out how to update the firmware yet. After powering it up after flipping the dipswitch, pushing the aux button just gives me "no aux audio source" or something similar....got tired of messing with it and uninstalled it. Havent returned it yet.

bcb06gt

Reaction score
The part about the aux not finding the unit sounds familiar after it found it the first time. Where did you get the 12V source power from for the unit?

When I hooked my adapter up the same thing happened. I had mine wired to 12V key on power. I had to hook the adapter up to 12V constant power (even when the car is off). My interpretation is the radio has constant power also. If the data bus does not see anything on the bus (powered when keyed on), it does not know to requery for a device. Mine has been working great since the change in power source. I spliced into the 12V power adapter in the center console since it is constant power. My instructions said nothing about this.

Try it first.

bcb06gt

Reaction score
Well as I stated the wiring for this unit is plug n play into the factory wiring. There are no wires to run. So it gets its power from the radio itself. Notice the pic in the ad...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/iSimple...cles/8760922.p?id=1202650467219&skuId=8760922

Sorry dude. I saw the pic. That didn't imply that power wasn't needed. Mine also daisy chains into the stereo with a similar cable, but still needs power.

I can tell you mine works for half the price. Yes you need to Ipod/Iphone from the Ipod or Iphone but with the right cable you can charge the Ipod also or use any MP3 player. Also for more than half the price on BB site for the one you got.

I did read others saying to turn on dipswitch #1. Helped others.

Back