Shifter has lots of play

black2008gt

GT500 NOOB
Reaction score
I was driving home a couple days ago, when i noticed my shifter has about of inch of play side to side when both in and out of gear. I ended up installing a brand new KR shifter today and still have that inch of play in the shifter. Its almost like it goes back to the middle even though it is in 1st gear.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this all of a sudden? I figured the new shifter would take care of the play.

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
My shifter behaves exactly the same way, both stock and with the KR. I figured it was normal.

black2008gt

GT500 NOOB
Reaction score
do you still have the stock knob/arm? Im starting to think its finally worn out and i should switch to the KR metal arm and knob.

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, I think it has more to do with the play in the shifter bushings themselves. The kr bushings are not much stiffer than stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
Just curious... On your 1-2 shift, does it make a faint grinding sound? Mine shifts into gear just fine, but it has that faint grind noise and it drives me crazy. I looked it up and found a tsb that mentions additional nvh during 1-2 shift and that it was normal, but curious if you or if any other gt500 owner had it. It doesn't make noise during any other shift, only 1-2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

black2008gt

GT500 NOOB
Reaction score
No my tranny makes no out of the ordinary noises, except a slight throw out bearing noise every once in a while.

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
If you are talking about the clacking/trashing sound while idling, that is the tolerance slack within the transmission. I raised my idle rpm to 890 and it is silent now.

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
Weird, my Hurst shifter is tight and when in gear- it has literally no play.. Edit: just realized this is the gt500 section -_-.. long day.. sorry.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Mine is the same way and has been on all 3 of my Shelby's. MGW shifter helped out a bunch, but it still has some play in it.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Welcome to linkage shifters, had the stock gt500 shifter and went to the mgw and its better, just weird getting used to.

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
EDIT: Also just realized this is in GT500 tech. At least I wasn't the only one that made that mistake in this thread... lol

Back