shifter movement

Commbubba19

Reaction score
Are ya'll checking the shifter bushings? The ones on the ends of the shifter. Most of the aftermarkets are poly.

i replaced my stock rubber bushings with poly bushings. when i go over a bump, the shifter will move a good 1/2" up and back down. however i cannot move the shifter myself up and down. rock solid. which tells me something is hitting either the shifter arm or linkage. only thing that could be is the d/s or transmission.

i guess i just want to know what will best resolve the problem without throwing parts at the issue. che torque braces and/or poly motor mounts?

Corpo

I
Reaction score
Get some stiffer motor mounts and it will help. But seriously, think about this one guys, the drive train is attached to the suspension, and the the shifter is attached to the drive train. If your tranny bounces so will your shifter, because it's in gear. That's normal. If your shifter didn't move with the tranny it would be changing how much that it's engaged to each gear. Which could be a worse situation. If you want less movement get solid mounts.

Commbubba19

Reaction score
Get some stiffer motor mounts and it will help. But seriously, think about this one guys, the drive train is attached to the suspension, and the the shifter is attached to the drive train. If your tranny bounces so will your shifter, because it's in gear. That's normal. If your shifter didn't move with the tranny it would be changing how much that it's engaged to each gear. Which could be a worse situation. If you want less movement get solid mounts.

i get what you're saying. however, contact between the transmission and the shifter would be a design flaw. a lot of cars have remote shifters that don't have this issue. also, the sudden change in my scenario where it was fine one day and the next day it's start happening means something changed. either something is loose or something is broke. I just can't find what. i just want to know if anyone has solved the problem.

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread. My shifter moves as well, especially while going up and down hills. I got under the car and checked everything. All tight. Just figured it was the drivetrain moving with the suspension of the car.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
My shifter moves a bit as well I think it's normal, wiggles just a bit.
No problems at all though.

Corpo

I
Reaction score
Just because it's remote doesn't mean it isn't attached to the tranny. It's a manual. In connects directly to a rod that runs into the tranny. If your tranny moves up and down your shifter will feel like it's moving forward and back. Maybe your just noticing now is all. Aftermarket shifters have less flex to em. Makes the movement more pronounced.

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just because it's remote doesn't mean it isn't attached to the tranny. It's a manual. In connects directly to a rod that runs into the tranny. If your tranny moves up and down your shifter will feel like it's moving forward and back. Maybe your just noticing now is all. Aftermarket shifters have less flex to em. Makes the movement more pronounced.
Yeah, I would have to say that I probably never realized it before. Thanks for the input.

Royski

forum member
Reaction score
I had mine move a while back and it ws one of the bolts in the assembly had loosened causing play.

Corpo

I
Reaction score
Yeah I had a loose bolt before as well. Check your bolts, drive over a speed bump with your hand on the shift knob. The bolts are tight (because you just made sure) and the shifter will move a little. I drive over speeds bumps all the time, lol. The movement is two different kinds.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back