Shocks and Struts opinions

JayhawkS197

Reaction score
Good morning All,

Im planning out my mild suspension build for my 09 GT. So far I have pick up FRPP K springs. I know i need camber bolts and a pan hard bar to get it aligned right. I will also be doing LCAs and maybe relocation brackets in the future. As far as shocks and struts go, I planned on KYB GR2/Excel Gs. Has anyone had experience with these that was negative? Maybe a better, similarly priced option? Car will be a DD. Thanks in advance for your help.

-Ronald

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Doing the lower relocation brackets will net more gains than doing the lower arms. So move them up the priority list.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Doing the lower relocation brackets will net more gains than doing the lower arms. So move them up the priority list.

Agreed.

Also...I wouldn't do camber bolts. Using them removes material from a key area in the suspension, where a lot of strength is good. You should be able to get the camber you need by just using GT500 strut mounts- you can rotate the mounts to change the camber, just make sure it's consistent from side to side.

You definitely need the panhard bar to get your rear alignment in order.

I would only use those KYB dampers if your stock stuff needs replacement, and even then I would be tempted to just replace them with more stock stuff.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
Don't spend the money on the KYBs, while they may be good from a non-performance aspect, they don't come close to being what you should put on there if your spending money on new struts and shocks. Tell us what your budget is and I'm sure the guys here with experience can recommend the perfect damper for you.

JayhawkS197

Reaction score
Budget wise i don't want to drop 400 on just shocks and struts. The stock pieces rare blown so I figured the KYBs would be a good bang for the buck rather then oem pieces. I did forget to mention the gt500 mounts which were on the plan as well.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Not sure about those KYBs, as I don't have experience with them...but I recommend considering the FRPP Dynamic Kit in conjunction with those K Springs and GT500 Mounts.

http://www.buyfordracingfromdpm.com/products/2005%2d2011-MUSTANG-COUPE-DYNAMIC-DAMPER-KIT.html

Not sure if that 499 is the going price, you may be able to find them cheaper elsewhere.

The Koni STR.T would work okay with those K springs as well, and I saw people posting that Autoanything is running good sales on them right now.

So based on your post, and what you have stated, I agree about the LCA Brackets, and of course a panhard bar. You can always try out the KYB, and give some feedback on them....I have never even spoken to a customer, that I know of, that has used them.

Good luck!

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
FWIW I ran KYB AGX adjustables before on a few of my previous cars, but none of them were mustangs. KYB was more in the import crowd. I had a 2 2nd gen Eclipses and a 1st gen and I ran KYB adjustables with Eibach Sportline springs on all 3 of those cars and had no issues. But that was 10+ years ago and only abuse I put them through were 1/4 mile launches.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
I would consider going the "used" route. We are talking a daily driver here. While Tokico D specs are not my preference, I would definitely purchase them over the FRPP dampers (me personally). That's $250 for a set.

That leaves enough money to get you a set of camber plates or gt500 mounts like http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1047161-Steeda-Caster-Camber-Plates-HD. That's $200 for really good DD-worthy camber plates that are dead quiet.

Or get the GT500 strut mounts for $100. http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...79-****ford-racing-gt-500-strut-munt-up-grade****

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...00-mile-Tokico-05-10-D-Spec-Adj-shocks-struts

So you are at $350-$450.

I don't normally shop like this for folks. I got carried away. I'm sure you can search for an adj PHB and have similar luck.

Good luck.

SlowJim

forum member
Reaction score
Budget wise i don't want to drop 400 on just shocks and struts. The stock pieces rare blown so I figured the KYBs would be a good bang for the buck rather then oem pieces. I did forget to mention the gt500 mounts which were on the plan as well.

I'm in the minority of people who have re-used OEM front strut mounts with no problems. I'm sure they won't last forever but I've been daily driving on Eibach Pro Kit springs with Bilstein struts on the stock mounts for 4-5 months now with no noises or issues. $100 saved that can be spent on better shocks/struts.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
The GR2's are at the bottom of KYB's offerings, so they aren't likely to be any better than OE.

I'd sooner use somebody else's low-mileage OE take-offs.

Even KYB's "Gas-A-Just" line isn't all that suitable for increased spring rates (and aren't an adjustable design, never mind what the name suggests or what in turn that might say about KYB's marketing).

Norm

JayhawkS197

Reaction score
How is the longevity of OEM with springs? I know i can't have my cake and eat it but just wanted to know what to expect. Also would the Steeda pro action be worth it? I know its 420 from steeda but is it over kill?

jmauld

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know how they do with lowering springs, but I would take OE shocks over KYB shocks any day, regardless of the application. OE shocks are at least designed to make it through the factory warranty. KYB shocks may or may not be.

If you're looking at spending $420, I would pony-up for a set of Bilsteins. Besides the tires, the shocks are the single most important item on your list. Skimping on them will undermine every other change that you make.

You're probably tired of hearing that, but you did post in the corner carver section, so get used to it. :)

forum member
Reaction score

I spent $330 for a new set of Koni STR.T's a few years ago, and those are on the lower end of the line. So you may need to ramp up the budget a bit. Or you'll be taking your car apart more than once.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
How is the longevity of OEM with springs? I know i can't have my cake and eat it but just wanted to know what to expect. Also would the Steeda pro action be worth it? I know its 420 from steeda but is it over kill?
What I would expect is a little less spring control on rebound, which can translate to a slightly 'floaty' ride under some situations in exchange for a less "busy" ride under others. From the get-go, since stiffening the springs but not the OE dampers drives the combination in the direction of "better ride" rather than toward "increased performance". A little like having OE shocks that are getting a little tired, with OE springs, actually.

I have no idea about longevity or anything at all about the Steeda pro-actions.

Norm

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
I believe the steeda dampers are blue tokicos with steeda stickers

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
I believe the steeda dampers are blue tokicos with steeda stickers

Sort of yes. They are made by Tokico but they are spec'd uniquely from any non-adjustable tokico. I was told from by a Steeda rep, who is a friend of mine so business does not come first between us, that Pro-Actions are slightly better than Str.t's. I'm running the Pro-Actions and really enjoy them so far

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back