Shocks and suspension '11 5.0

Davidx9x

forum member
Reaction score
So i'm running steeda ultralites, however everytime i hit a pothole it feels like a sack of rocks hit my spine. I was looking for Orange Konis, any thoughts or ideas which shocks and struts might help my ride? I daily drive it btw

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidx9x

forum member
Reaction score
Do you have anything else done to the suspension other than those springs?

Yes... lower control arms, front lower and upper control arms/ball joints, adj pan hard, rear and front adj. sway bars, front and rear end links.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I have Strange front single adjustable struts on my ca and Lakewood 50/50 rear shocks. My car is lowered 1.25F/1.5"R as yours. I am also running on 20" wheels now and the car amazingly has a nice ride even compared to the prior 18" wheel setup. The difference between setups is the spring choice. Chances are it's not your ride height but rather the stiffness of the springs you chose. Handling springs will have a much harsher ride. According to research ultralites are 195lb/in front and 175 lb/inc rated in the rear. Stock springs are 136F/142R roughly. My springs are rated # 160R/165F. Your springs may also be progressive where as mine are linear front and dual rate rear.

You could try buying the jounce bumpers from Ford Racing which are about $40 I think and are designed for lowered applications. It is possible you are banging on these when hitting a bump which can jar a person to death. Strange makes adjustable struts and rear shocks with 10 positions of adjustment on rebound. I run mine a little tighter @ 6 up front because of not having a front sway bar. You could lighten up and run softer which may help your ride. I'm still playing with mine to find the happy spot at the track.

Hope this helps you out.

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Steeda Ultralite springs are really not that stiff. They are indeed linear through their operational range, as well.

You could try better dampers, but ride harshness is subjective, and the dampers might not fix your "problem." I have those same springs with Koni Yellows, and I feel the ride is firm, but not harsh. That's my opinion.

Your control arms may be adding to the harsh ride, as well.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back