Should I go iron block or aluminator???

06SilverS281

forum member
Reaction score
I've searched on here and still cant really make a decision so i wanted to hear some of your guys opinions on the route i should go and what i want out of the car. Some brief history, 06 s281 saleen with the norm mods running 10psi popped a hole in the block on passenger side and melted piston. Now im in search of a stroker block that can handle high boost and around 800rwhp and i dont have to worry about destroying the block and everything else. Now since popping a 3" round hole in the block im kinda scared of aluminum blocks alittle and was leaning towards a 03-04 iron cobra block. Please suggest some companies and shortblocks i should start looking at.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
Throw a rod and it won't matter wtf it's made of, it's going to put a window in the side.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Awenotthisagain.jpg

search_it_noob.gif

Moved

Aluminum

L&M Race Engines for your builder

be prepared to have very deep pockets - 800 whp is VERY expensive and hard on parts

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Aluminum without a doubt. The hole in the side of your block wasn't because it was made out of aluminum.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Been there and done that. Just went with a Brenspeed B326 forged stroker 1000HP rated iron shortblock. You can get a shortblock assembled for about 4900.00. I now have several hundred miles on mine and I'm very happy with it. No issues at all. It's 60 lbs heavier but I don't notice it. Might be an option for you.

rayS197

Reaction score
Like you Im pushing the stock motor with my Whipple and dont want to window the block. I spoke with Brenspeed last week and they dont even offer the rotating assemblys for a B302 but are putting together the B326 motors. Yes they are 60-70lbs heavier. Another option and the route I am taking is the Ford Racing 5.0 Stoker SB. Fords release date was pushed back on the motors to July 31st of this month. Yesterday , I spoke with a Ford Rep about this. Contact Steve or Mike R. @ Toulsley Ford for pricing as it is cheaper than the B326. Here ya go:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22907

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I've searched on here and still cant really make a decision so i wanted to hear some of your guys opinions on the route i should go and what i want out of the car. Some brief history, 06 s281 saleen with the norm mods running 10psi popped a hole in the block on passenger side and melted piston. Now im in search of a stroker block that can handle high boost and around 800rwhp and i dont have to worry about destroying the block and everything else. Now since popping a 3" round hole in the block im kinda scared of aluminum blocks alittle and was leaning towards a 03-04 iron cobra block. Please suggest some companies and shortblocks i should start looking at.

You aren't going to find a motor that will handle 800rwhp without a chance of breaking. At that level anything can pop the motor. If you are serious about that power level then imo invest in an oringed block and have an experienced race shop build it. Expect to pay a lot of money for a motor that will handle the power.

If you are just looking for something to handle 600 or so rwhp then your options open up. If I was in your shoes and only looking for 600 or so then I'd wait for the frpp short block. I say only 600 with a slight smile on my face. It's a lot of power. The most I've ran is 674 and it's a handful at wot. Keep in mind that this is all opinion but my car is more fun to drive at power levels under 550rwhp.

FWIW I'll have a used forged rods and pistons short block up for sale in a few months. I'll be asking $2k for it provided everything looks good once it's out and the heads are off.

Aluminum without a doubt. The hole in the side of your block wasn't because it was made out of aluminum.

This^^^^. The strongest mod motor blocks are aluminum. It is preferred over iron for a high hp motor.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back