Should I remove splash shields and belly pan?

luv2cheat

forum member
Reaction score
I have left the plastic splash shields and belly pan on my car thinking that removing them may let unwanted air to get trapped causing drag, not being worth the 10 or so pounds of weight I could remove.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

luv2cheat

forum member
Reaction score
I am calling the plastic piece that hooks the front bumper to the radiator support the belly pan and the slash shields are the 2 piece shields in the front wheel wells.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
it'll be bad for aero and may even effect the cooling performance of the radiator
id leave it

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
I removed by "belly pan" and I had no issues on a road course so I say your good to go on that.

niner555

forum member
Reaction score
Those two splash shields in front of the gas tank weigh a combined 4.5 lbs. They weren't doing anything to make my car faster, so off they came :)

DTony

forum member
Reaction score
I removed all of that crap from under the front of my car with absolutely no issues. Car runs great and never gets over 192º. Mine is not a DD but I drive it a lot in the summer.

lethe

V4g!n@ #er
Reaction score
pics of those installed skwerl?

Crappy picture but here's mine. The inner bracket is where those plastic splash guards were.

IMAG0545_zps90747913.jpg

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
My belly pan flew off at the track over a year ago it's destroyed, but never got a new one and been fine.
I notice nothing difference I will replace it eventually lol.

For some reason that plastic piece of shit over $150.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
My belly pan flew off at the track over a year ago it's destroyed, but never got a new one and been fine.
I notice nothing difference I will replace it eventually lol.

For some reason that plastic piece of shit over $150.

Mine came off at around 100 last year. The guy in the other lane stopped, picked it up and brought it to me. I wasn't aware I had lost it.

You can get a replacement for around $35 iirc. You just have to look around the net. Can't remember for sure but I think mine came from rock auto or ebay. Or buy the one the OP will take off.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
I've read a few reports of hood flutter at high speeds after removing it. If nothing else it helps keep road grime and crap from caking up the bottom of the engine.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I am more concerned with rocks and stuff messing with the belt, or slapping the oil filter.

No hood flutter on my car before or after having the belly pan thing off.

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
My belly pan has been gone since early 2009. I removed the wheel well liners in 2011. Drafting people at 170+ has created a few rock chips and dings on the paint, but I have never ingested a rock into the belts or damaged a filter. Driving in the rain with the liners removed could make things messy though.

luv2cheat

forum member
Reaction score
I think I will leave that plastic crap on for now. I will look at some of the heads up cars at the Joliet NMRA event this summer and see what they have done with that crap.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back