Skwerl's first hot rod

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
OK my honesty and inability to keep my fucking mouth shut might have just got me in a deep hole. The insurance guy finally called me back today to respond to my inquiry last Saturday. He was not willing to move on the buy back amount but said they could reinspect the car and see about adjusting the value. I said there might be a few items missing, such as an engine. He said he couldn't move forward with this any more and would have to get it moved up to his supervisor's desk. Now he doesn't want to do anything until the car is inspected again and I said it doesn't matter what it looks like now because I intend on buying it back anyway.

So I'm glad I spent yesterday getting the car capable of rolling in its own. I was able to air up the one tire with the cracked rim and push the carcass into my garage and close the door. The car will remain behind the locked garage door until this issue is resolved. They already have their inspection, I think I can now just wait.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
You're in quite a pickle. From their point of view, you don't have the option now to let them take the car if you don't like their price. So you'll either have to accept their price, or take them to court. You maybe should have waited to part out the car until you settled with the insurance. But nothing you can do about that now.

Hopefully it'll work out without much more drama. But I think you're in for a little more back and forth with them.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Well I think one point in my favor is that they cannot reinspect the car now to lower the claim amount. They have my telephone comment and their original inspection and that's all they're getting. Now that I have moved the car into the garage it can sit as long as it needs to.

blk12gt

forum member
Reaction score
subrogation, volitions, I am running out of language skills here, lol.

Well I'm done offering advice as my input seems to always create contention. As far as vernacular, the goal of insurance is to indemnify the 1st party of the insurance agreement and most of the time when someone modifies their car, contractually that voids the terms of the insuring agreement as you are no longer paying the premiums for the risk you pose to the insurer.

So be happy you get anything...

Sent from my phone, spelling mistakes brought to you courtesy of tapatalk.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Well I'm done offering advice as my input seems to always create contention. As far as vernacular, the goal of insurance is to indemnify the 1st party of the insurance agreement and most of the time when someone modifies their car, contractually that voids the terms of the insuring agreement as you are no longer paying the premiums for the risk you pose to the insurer.

Please don't feel that way, I am thankful for your input. Progressive called me back again and I ended up settling for the original amount offered rather than turn it into a big circus. After paying off my small loan balance I end up with a check for about $7300 and keep the car.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Please don't feel that way, I am thankful for your input. Progressive called me back again and I ended up settling for the original amount offered rather than turn it into a big circus. After paying off my small loan balance I end up with a check for about $7300 and keep the car.

Is that good!!!??

Sounds good!! Congrats!! (I think)

blk12gt

forum member
Reaction score

Well what's weird is its never the OP. I'm sorry it didn't work out with the counter offer, but I am glad you are at least getting a resolution that sounds amicable. Just take your time, strip that sucker down, keep a spreadsheet of what you have and sounds like you will be well ahead. use those funds to put towards your next toy.

Your story is why subrogation is the best route imo. Your insurance company fixes your car and you pay the deductible. Your insurance company also collects from the other insurance company and pays your deductible back to you when they get paid.

X2, when you are a claimant you are at the other companies mercy, you pay your premium to your insurance company, use them, let them deal with the headache.

Last edited:

lito

forum member
Reaction score

I am sorry but English is my second language as I am Spanish native speaker, and yes, those were new words for me.

blk12gt

forum member
Reaction score
I am sorry but English is my second language as I am Spanish native speaker, and yes, those were new words for me.

Rough thing is for most of those words there is no direct translation lol. Mad props for you putting in the time and energy to look them up. Wish more people tried.

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score

Is that a good deal? I feel like it is? Loan paid off, got to keep car, got a 7300$ check and got to sell motor/trans/blowers. Sounds like it worked out quite well actually. Glad to hear it turned around for ya!

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Brian, glad it worked out for you.
I think your deal is ok. Don't know how much your loan was but, you got 7300 + 7000+/- buy back = 14300 + the loan amount. Now you get to part it out and if you take your time you can come out quite well on the part out. I don't know how much you had invested but...

Sent from iPhone

Jason09GT

forum member
Reaction score
I've been working with Hagerty about setting up insurance for my '09, as they will cover mods, and other stupid bs a guy might do to a car. Hopefully, that works out, and if in the event of something terrible happening, they are a trustworthy partner.

Question..I know you had commented on waiting a while to move into another car, and whatnot..but why not buy a cheaper high mileage 3v car, with the insurance money, and slowly build another car using what's left of your drivetrain? I haven't checked your part out thread lately, so don't anybody start whacking me over the head just yet.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Most insurances allow for mods you just have to be willing to pay the extra premiums. Even communist Progressive has an option for mods.

I have an additional 5k on mine for the mods and I don't even have blower or built motor etc. the additional premium minimal.

Sent from iPhone

Jason09GT

forum member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I guess what I meant was I've heard them coming back and saying "oh, well you have a supercharger so you were more than likely being an idiot, we aren't covering that", more or less. When you are getting a quote from them, you go through and check off every possible modification you could have..rollcage, supercharger, aftermarket brakes, etc. I realize it's a gamble fault wise either way you go, as to who could take the screwing in the deal. I had an old man pull out in front of me in a 30mph zone once, and totalled my z28. He and hos wife were screaming that I was doing 70mph, that's why we collided. Luckily, I had witnesses who stated otherwise. I was young, and in a fast car, so the fingers pointed at me from the get go. I had to ask him..."so even if I was doing 70 in a 30, your stupid ass still felt the need to pull right out in front of me???" He just had a blank stare.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Well it's been an adventuresome two weeks. I'm really beginning to miss the car but most likely I'll get another one at some point. Picked up my check today so I'm pretty much done with the insurance part of it other than them eventually sending me the title. The T56 is packed up in the truck ready for delivery tomorrow, I'm meeting DiMora in Valdosta GA for lunch.

For all you guys who have purchased parts from me, my memory is terrible but if you submit an ITrader rating for me I'll do the same for you. Everybody on this forum has been great to deal with and I'm glad to be a part of such an upstanding group.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well it's been an adventuresome two weeks. I'm really beginning to miss the car but most likely I'll get another one at some point. Picked up my check today so I'm pretty much done with the insurance part of it other than them eventually sending me the title. The T56 is packed up in the truck ready for delivery tomorrow, I'm meeting DiMora in Valdosta GA for lunch.

For all you guys who have purchased parts from me, my memory is terrible but if you submit an ITrader rating for me I'll do the same for you. Everybody on this forum has been great to deal with and I'm glad to be a part of such an upstanding group.

The tranny was a great deal. Glad it sold fast Brian.

NjsGT

Back in the game....
Reaction score
Man.... I try not to come on here too much as I tend to get ideas myself and it's not cool running into these stories....
Brain, sorry to see you went through all of this. I'm sure by now you are sick of hearing that but it looks like the worst is over. As stated lots of us have been through bad shit, keep your head up, let time pass.... I know you're thinking to yourself, never again but I hate to point out this is in your blood lol. Just give it time...... Sometimes deep breathes last longer than a second or two..... (Maybe I shouldnt have sold ya that short block?) j/k :beerchug2: Chin up man!

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
That short block is fucking awesome! It was dropped off in Miami this afternoon to be loaded on a cargo ship heading to Spain next month. The new owner is anxiously awaiting its arrival.

NjsGT

Back in the game....
Reaction score
That short block is fucking awesome! It was dropped off in Miami this afternoon to be loaded on a cargo ship heading to Spain next month. The new owner is anxiously awaiting its arrival.

That short block has had a interesting life so far lol. Hope the new owner enjoys it like we did..... It was in 2 limited production 3V s197's lol.
Hang in man, no regrets, it all has a reason....

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back