Slamming Eibach R2s and Bumpstops

steve13gt

forum member
Reaction score
I went from 225 8" spring to a 350 7" spring, not thinking about the difference in droop. Anyways now the car sits a bit higher. I was thinking of going to a 6" spring, and adjusting the collar up half an inch to give me another half in drop. Or is that getting a bit too short for a spring. My other problem is the bump stop. It is just about bottomed out, I put a shorter one in from the 07-10 kit, which is also softer as it is hollow. I have been tempted to remove it all together as I dont think the car can bottom out with the stiffness of the spring. Maybe Id use just a shorter bumpstop yet. Would these shocks have an internal bump stop? Or could I damage them by running an even shorter bumpstop? Also I remember someone talking about tire clearance on these, I was planning on running 285/35/19, as I believe thats the closest in tire height to the stock 255/40/19, just wondering when clearance becomes an issue. I have the vorshlag plates so I can put the camber to full positive at the spindle and adjust up top.

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
I had the tire clearance issues. I am running 285/35/18's up front on gt500 wheels. Now the way I had to get the room up front was slide the knuckle out where it attaches to the coilover. I have it roughly half way slid out with a 8mm spacer. Just leave it all the way in first and put you wheels on and roll it by hand and see if it rubs. Gmitch also has a few pics in a thread somewhere showing how he machined his sleeve to free up some space.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
I would be worried about the spring being too short. If the spring is loose when the car is off the tires, that's not entirely safe...

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
hells did you remove your bump stop entirely?

metal on metal? or dpes the shock stiffness never let it bottom out?

I tried it once and it was loud and left some marks on the frame/body that didn't look too great.

I trimmed my bumpstop to be about 1/2", I bottom out quite often on the rear--one of my bumpstops is splitting apart from it. I don't think no bumpstop would be a good idea but I have been asking some companies to see if they will make a really short urethane one one.

steve13gt

forum member
Reaction score
Did this get moved to Pics/Vids? Or did I screw up? If so could a mod move it?
Right now I have the knuckle moved all the way positive, and used the CC plate to add negative back, but I dont think I will be able to get enough camber that way. I just dont want to drop 2K on wheels and tires and have them not fit.

Hells what coils are those? the Megan Racings? The normal bumpstop for my kit was probably 4" long, new one is about 3" but is also hollow.

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
Also I remember someone talking about tire clearance on these, I was planning on running 285/35/19, as I believe thats the closest in tire height to the stock 255/40/19, just wondering when clearance becomes an issue. I have the vorshlag plates so I can put the camber to full positive at the spindle and adjust up top.

It depends on the wheel offset. I'm running 285/35-19's on a 19x9.5 with +35 offset. The widest part of the tire sticks out 1/4". I'm running a 1"/1.5" f/r drop. If my car sat any lower in back I'd be rubbing the tire against the lip of the wheel well. So, if you're running the same size wheel/offset I'd suggest going with a 275/40. That should give you clearance with a low drop.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Did this get moved to Pics/Vids? Or did I screw up? If so could a mod move it?
Right now I have the knuckle moved all the way positive, and used the CC plate to add negative back, but I dont think I will be able to get enough camber that way. I just dont want to drop 2K on wheels and tires and have them not fit.

Hells what coils are those? the Megan Racings? The normal bumpstop for my kit was probably 4" long, new one is about 3" but is also hollow.

I currently have air ride but I used to have KW Variant 3's. The KW bumpstops were shorter to begin with and I ended up cutting them down. They are about 1" tall.

KW Variant 3:
DSC_6870.png

airride (same bumpstops):
photo_zpsa9f90c91.jpg

If you want to go lower by using a shorter spring, I advise adding a spring perch and a helper spring to keep tension on the main spring even when the suspension is unloaded. In fact, this is required to pass German TUV (hence why the KW's have them)--I realize this is not Germany but they have much higher inspection safety standards than us here and usually for good reason. I did something similar to you, I switched from an 8" spring to a 5" spring on another car, and I used Hypercoil springs and perches to make it work, hyperco also makes small helper springs.

Last edited:

steve13gt

forum member
Reaction score
i have 0 rate springs in there to keep it under tension. Not yet an issue. Well see what happens.. I need to figure out this bumpstop first. I dont want to be riding them all the time

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back